PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best type of flares.

Silvestra
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
In terms doing the most damage or having the highest chance of killing something. Which flare would be best? Is it Disintegration? And has the merchant left for disintegration flares?

Drisco
07-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Id say depends on what your hunting.

Jacare
07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
In terms doing the most damage or having the highest chance of killing something. Which flare would be best? Is it Disintegration? And has the merchant left for disintegration flares?

I've had a lance with disintegration flares since the Plat auction last year. Having used it since then, I can say with near certainly that those flares are no different than any other aside from the fluff messaging.

Xaerve
07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Acid, IMHO, are the best overall general type of flare.

Warriorbird
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
I like paralysis/bind or poison best. Double strike are nice too.

Latrinsorm
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
In terms of kills, lightning has the advantage of being able to target the nervous system directly, accessing another kill crit or two.

Generally, though, so long as you stay away from steam you'll do alright. I haven't seen any hard numbers suggesting that acid/void/disintegration/fancypantsflareX are materially superior, equal, or inferior to common flares. I'd go with Jacare's report until someone feels like crunching it.

Back
07-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Here is a clip of the best 1608 plasma flares I’ve seen.

You swing a gold-pommeled white ora broadsword at an arch wight!
AS: +215 vs DS: +129 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +13 = +133
... and hit for 16 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the arch wight's right leg!

** Your white ora broadsword pulses with a burst of plasma energy! **

... 35 points of damage!
Stunning blast of plasma reduces the arch wight's nose to a blackened stump.

** Your white ora broadsword pulses with a burst of plasma energy! **

... 25 points of damage!
Light burns to the arch wight's leg.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Stanley Burrell
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
If that's you in your avatar you're a cutie.

Lightning is the best against foes with metal armor, which makes up a good chunk of the non-ethereal critters you'll fight in the upper levels.

I'd also say that for the specific purpose of hunting in Teras, ice flares can be very useful as well.

vontez
07-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Nothing beats sonic flares, is this even an issue?

Gan
07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
My preference was always lightning. Stovel's acid were really good once upon a time too.

A lot, as mentioned earlier, depends on what you're going to be hunting. There are some creatures immune to lightning, fire, etc. that the flare will have no effect on. Which in that case, might call for either a change of weapon (especially when hunting on Teras in the flows or eye where the heat directly effects what weapon you're using) or just realizing that you wont have that extra damage capability when used.

Kembal
07-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Acid usually affects most things, making it the best all-purpose flare. The only living things I can think of that aren't affected by acid are the slushes and morphs on the glacier in Illistim...you need fire to hunt those.

Drew
07-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Out of the regular flares I'd say lightning is the best, but I always prefer void flares. Here's a sequential sampling of some (not hand picked, these were all in a row). You'd never see anything like this with another flare.

** As you hit, the edge of your eonake falchion seems to fold inward upon itself drawing everything it touches along with it! **
... 50 points of damage!
Spine and shoulders snap as they expand outward!

** As you hit, the edge of your eonake falchion seems to fold inward upon itself drawing everything it touches along with it! **
... 60 points of damage!
Internal organs erupt outward spraying violently and dies horribly!
A silverback orc curls up in the snow and dies.

... 10 points of damage!
Blood vessels in eyes burst!

... 40 points of damage!
Jugular veins erupt in twin fountains! Too bad the silverback orc needed them to live.
A silverback orc curls up in the snow and dies.

Celephais
07-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Acid usually affects most things, making it the best all-purpose flare. The only living things I can think of that aren't affected by acid are the slushes and morphs on the glacier in Illistim...you need fire to hunt those.

Acid itself still affects them... ie 904, but in order to damage them with a weapon it *needs* to be a fire flaring weapon (so a regular non-flaring won't hurt them either).

AestheticDeath
07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I think also - no matter what type of flare you have, it will vary from weapon to weapon.

A prime example would be the flares Drew just posted, of the void flaring falchion. I have yet to see any of my void flares do damage that high, or crit kill. Perhaps thats because its on a bow. Who knows.

And Stoval flares.. those were always better. Even after they got nerfed several times. So you can't really say all flares in one group are equal.

Ignot
07-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Nobody likes my wizard earth flares....they just look stupid.

Drew
07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Those are stovel void flares btw.

thefarmer
07-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Poison flares

StrayRogue
07-20-2007, 02:36 AM
The original void flares, pre nerf. Or the original immolation flares, pre-nerf.

Anyone see a theme emerging?

AestheticDeath
07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Ah perhaps that is the difference then Drew.

Drew
07-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Ah perhaps that is the difference then Drew.

I think it is, Stovel flares are noticeably better than the kind of void flares you can get with eblade, and presumably other newer void flares. I sold that falc for 14 million I think, a good price considering how friggin powerful the flares are, even post-nerf.

m444w
07-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Viva la immolation!

You wave a flaming mithril short sword at Tanala!
Fearsome streams of magical fire explode from the weapon, savagely immolating her!
... 50 points of damage!
Head explodes, splattering sizzling bits of flesh and bone everywhere.

* Tanala drops dead at your feet!

I hate snow elves.

Sean of the Thread
07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

Judging by your avatar I'd have to vote for sperm flares.

AestheticDeath
07-25-2007, 12:13 AM
and welcome to the PC! heh