PDA

View Full Version : Let me pick your brains.

AnticorRifling
11-25-2003, 02:40 PM
I haven't had time to do much of anything let alone log into GS lately. What I would like to get from you all is input.

In regards to training:
What works, what doesn't, which paths seem viable, etc. What spells have been overly or majorly tweeked.

What do you like, dislike in regards to the changes effecting our profession?

Let me know anything you can in regards to all things wizardesque.

When I get the time to do more than check than just check the boards I'll do some research and testing of my own but right now I would like to see things from all of your perspectives.

I did log Anticor in long enough to change the goals to what I thought I wanted. I haven't tried it in the field though. I did get a nice silk coin pouch, an elemental air rune pin, and a wineskin though :cool:

Askip
11-25-2003, 05:04 PM
The rune pin is a stat adder, beware they only have limited use and wearing it uses up charges. It was interesting to see 11 spirit though.

So far:

I dislke the separate Mana Controls, and I've found no need for Lores.

I do like the runestaff, it freed up lots of TPs for more spells.

I'll post more as I think of them. :D

AnticorRifling
11-26-2003, 07:20 AM
The pin I knew added stats I didn't know it was limited usage. Does putting it on use a charge, does keeping it on continue to use charges, does it recharge? Anyone have a clue.

Also I'd like to hear more about your training for runestaffs, Askip.

Right now I've got Anticor trained 1x OHE, shield, FA, survival, MIU, scroll(whatever the hell they are called now), 2x aim, harness, spells, etc.

Kitsun
11-27-2003, 03:17 AM
The wizard profession is now actually more wizardly than it has ever been. For the first time ever, instead of packing swords and shields, we can carry around staves and not get killed!

I believe most warmages are in a tough spot. It gets difficult to use a blade as you approach 60ish.

The runestaff approach seems to have a base of:
1x Symbols
1x MIU
2x SA
1x HP
1x EMC
1x Lore
2x Spells

There is a small ton of TP's left after that. Its really personal preference from there since thats the 9x magical ranks per level thats the goal set by Simu.

I don't know anyone that loves scrolls enough to go over 1x on symbols.
Over 1x miu would be for enchanters or rechargers I suppose.
Harness power is a point of debate. I did fine with 1x HP but lots of people have more because of mana issues. I eventually caved in to 1.5x because I didn't want to see problems in the future.
I've seen people limiting EMC training because of its limited applications and the mana return on an off-node pulse is slightly less than getting more mana with HP.
Its questionable how much lore is really necessary. They say 1x per level so the expected amount will be .25 in each type. I decided to toss it all into earth lore.
Spells! I did a LOT of tripling but toned it down a bit. Seems a lot more people are putting the points elsewhere.

Xcalibur
11-27-2003, 09:00 AM
I concur that war mage days are way behind now.

A mage without any possiblities of training in cm cannot blade hunt later, it's impossible, and attrition put it even less possible

Askip
11-29-2003, 09:36 AM
<< The pin I knew added stats I didn't know it was limited usage. Does putting it on use a charge, does keeping it on continue to use charges, does it recharge? Anyone have a clue. >>

Each time you wear it removes a charge, and random charges are removed while it is worn. They are not rechargable.

<< Also I'd like to hear more about your training for runestaffs, Askip. >>

Anticor, I know you are just curious, right? Or are you seriously considering giving up the warmage route?

Name: Askip Askipson Race: Dark Elf Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 68 (9) ... 68 (9)
Constitution (CON): 76 (8) ... 76 (8)
Dexterity (DEX): 92 (31) ... 92 (31)
Agility (AGI): 93 (26) ... 93 (26)
Discipline (DIS): 95 (12) ... 95 (12)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 98 (24) ... 98 (24)
Intuition (INT): 92 (26) ... 92 (26)
Wisdom (WIS): 93 (26) ... 93 (26)
Influence (INF): 93 (16) ... 93 (16)
Mana: 230 Silver: 1
>skil
Askip (at level 75), your skill bonuses and ranks are:
Skill Name | Bonus Ranks Goals Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 10 2 2
Physical Fitness...................| 99 23 23
Arcane Symbols.....................| 176 76 76
Magic Item Use.....................| 252 152 152
Spell Aiming.......................| 254 154 154
Harness Power......................| 176 76 76
Elemental Mana Control.............| 120 30 30
Spirit Mana Control................| 15 3 3
Survival...........................| 177 77 77
Perception.........................| 102 24 24
Climbing...........................| 102 24 24
Swimming...........................| 5 1 1
First Aid..........................| 136 38 38

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 68 68
Minor Elemental....................| 75 75
Wizard.............................| 75 75
Training Points: 18 Phy 5 Mnt
>spel
>

Your spell lists:
Minor Elemental...75
Major Elemental...68
Wizard Base.......75

>ex
Level: 75 Deeds: 10
Experience: 5001090 Deaths this level: 0
Exp. until next: 9410 Death Recovery: 0
Mental TPs: 5 Fame: 54815085
Physical TPs: 18 Mana: 230/246 max

Your mind is fresh and clear.

:D

AnticorRifling
11-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Unless something drastic changes I don't see myself giving up the falchion and shield. I just like hacking things to death. Your plan looks like fun though to bad I don't remember how to cast 513 :cool:

Askip
11-30-2003, 10:47 AM
<< Your plan looks like fun though to bad I don't remember how to cast 513 >>

Heh, the first GS4 change I ran into was casting Unpain at a hurt friend....oops, it's now Hurl Boulder. :D

Kitsun
11-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Askip, what're you doing with 3 random ranks in SMC? Know someone thats really overtrained in it and you can share with? I had to go 14 ranks to share with like-age spirit casters who singled in it.

You didn't like any of the lores at all?

And geez your almost fully tripled in spells.

Askip
11-30-2003, 06:03 PM
<< what're you doing with 3 random ranks in SMC >>

Right now it's an experiment, I seem to have enough TPs to spare a few towards sharing mana with empaths & clerics. I hope to get a few more ranks soon, I do not want my Major Sanctuary & Raise Dead items to be useless.

However, I have yet to experiment with skinning in GS4. If I can skin black forest vipers and boars with these stats, I will try them with less First Aid and put the points toward SMC. If I need more FA, guess where the points come from? :D

<< You didn't like any of the lores at all? >>

I do not see a favorable cost/benefit from lores, and the effects range from ho-hum to gee-that's-nice-but-not-for-me.

My disregard for lores may be due to where and how I hunt. I expect to be in Maaghara's Tower for quite some time, and all three critters stun nicely with 415. After the stun it's one cast of 910 then 903 to death, add Leech as needed. Also, no reflected lightning to worry about if I Cone, which was out of the question in Griffin Keen. :D

Meos
11-30-2003, 08:57 PM
those talismens wear out? no shit.... that's a bunch of shit

Kitsun
11-30-2003, 10:55 PM
That little tidbit wasn't ANYWHERE in the documentation. I think they released a news clip about it the first or second day of GSIV.

I can't seem to find it in the listing anymore though.