PDA

View Full Version : College Preseason...

Makkah
07-17-2007, 12:17 AM
With the upcoming release of NCAA Football '07, I've been checking out the preseason of the game and Rivals.com; looks like an interesting year. Rivals is only up to 12 on their daily countdown to #1. SEC looks pretty righteous so far with like 90% being top 40 (Kentucky even being up there), then again... when isn't the SEC dominant? Rivals so far:

25. UCLA
24. Arkansas
23. FSU
22. A&M
21. Hawaii
20. Miami
19. Rutgers
18. Nebraska
17. Tennessee
16. BCU
15. Penn State
14. Georgia
13. UCAL
12. Auburn

and that's it so far. Top 50 notables include...
29. South Carolina
30. South Florida
31. Notre Dame (haha)
37. Alabama
38. Uni of Kentucky
49. Kansas State

Interesting to note, Auburn has a fucking rough schedule. Florida, UGA, Arkansas, LSU all away. UA at Auburn (our only great home game); South Florida and Kansas State are 2 of our nonconference games (not horrible, but no tiptoe through the tulips).

As an Auburn fan, I'm obviously delivering bias information, so go check out Rivals or other decent website for their take.

Anyways, just getting excited for football to finally return... this time is the worst of the year. Hockey and baseball, yay.

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Man I can't wait... NCAA football is the best tiime of the year.

Makkah
07-17-2007, 12:27 AM
You're god damn right.

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 12:52 AM
oh and go USF

Mistomeer
07-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I love the fall. College football starts followed by the start of the NFL followed by the start of college basketball. I can't wait for these any of these to start.

TheEschaton
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
And then the start of HOCKEY!!!!!!

Alfster
07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Which ends just two weeks before Football season!

I hate the hockey season...Why does a city in Arizona have a hockey team? It's not like it snows there (outside of flagstaff)

Hulkein
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Can't wait for Penn State vs. Notre Dame at Happy Valley. It's gonna be an insane weekend.

Drew
07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm not terribly excited about Miami's national championship prospects this year, it'd have to be lightning in a bottle for it to happen. New coach and all our tough games on the road mean that this should be a good year to get a new cast some experience and set up for an easier schedule next year (except we add UF next year, but that's only a plus to me).

Still, as always I'm very excited. Anyone gonna get NCAA on 360 that wants to play me on live?

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Lol Miami's meltdown and scandals of recent years were some of my happiest moments.

Drew
07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Enjoy it while you can. This is 94-98 all over again.

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

grapedog
07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
can't take college football seriously until they fix the current system. Not too mention half the scrubs that play would never make it into a pro league.

Ill stick with the pro's...

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Nub.

NCAA Football is the greatest sport on Earth.

stallion4
07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
NCAA Football is the greatest sport on Earth.

100% correct..even after your team gets their dicks knocked off in the national championship. I'll save you from saying it, Sean.. All jokes aside it's a fucking beatiful time of the year. Any preseason picks for the title game? I'm thinking USC and LSU is a good matchup on paper right now. SEC is loaded as usual so it's always tough to come outta there.

Edited to add..Fuck Miami and FSU. I love seeing them lose. Bowden = piece of garbage.

Celephais
07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Not too mention half the scrubs that play would never make it into a pro league.

That's an entirely unintelligent statement to make. You think? Doesn't take a college degree to do the math on that one.

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 08:01 PM
All UF has to say at this point is SCOREBOARD.

We'll worry about getting our dicks knocked off when it happens. Untillllll then.., scoreboard.

RichardCranium
07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I really like LSU's schedule this year. And I would love for the Tigers to play USC in the championship game right down the road in the Superdome. That being said, you just never can tell in the SEC.

Makkah
07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Rivals got V-Tech 11th. (blegh)

grapedog
07-17-2007, 09:06 PM
That's an entirely unintelligent statement to make. You think? Doesn't take a college degree to do the math on that one.

How many college football players are there...

and how many picks are there in the draft, and whats the average numbers of undrafted free agents signed each year...then take those numbers, and then when the season begins so how many of the players are still with their teams when teams routinely trim down to, what 54 or 56 players not including practise squad, and PUP lists which could be 10-15 players or so.

I think it's safe to say that less than half of all college players are making it into the professional league. I guess if you expanded the leauge to 100's of teams, like college football...they could all find a home.

Then you'd get really peachy games like LSU playing the East West-Virginia Technical College team...because they were paid $50,000 to make the trip and be a stepping stone.

--------------
edit/add: Sorry to come back to this one, I probably should have stayed out of it in the first place. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all right?

I could see myself liking the game IF they fixed the game system so good teams played other good teams, and bowls actually mattered. How many bowl games are there every year now? The Papa Johns Bowl, the Kodak Bowl, the Aquafina Bowl...maybe cap the bowl games at 5 or something...everything else is just to get more money out of your fans with a sub par product. If you take the 20 best college teams, how many of those teams played the majority of their schedule vs. other good teams...and not scrub teams from little out of the way colleges who can't afford to turn down a money purse.

Sean of the Thread
07-17-2007, 09:17 PM
It's obvious you're oblivious to the gold that is NCAA football. At this point you should just shut your trap and mark out in a future pro thread. With less respect mind you. People who don't understand NCAA football get put at the bottom of the entire football hierarchy respect list.

stallion4
07-17-2007, 09:24 PM
It's obvious you're oblivious to the gold that is NCAA football. At this point you should just shut your trap and mark out in a future pro thread. With less respect mind you. People who don't understand NCAA football get put at the bottom of the entire football hierarchy respect list.

Now SHOO Grapedick..you may go, child.

grapedog
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM

eh, it's ok, i think I will, I don't mean to be shitty to something you guys obviously enjoy. Like I said though, I think I could enjoy it if there was more...parity. I think it did wonders for the product of the NFL...sure, you don't have the super teams anymore, but every team(for the most part) is competitive...and as a fan of that franchise that has a real chance to win it all, isn't that what you want, what everyone wants...to see their team have a chance to win it all...and not have to worry about a popularity contest to get ranked.

I'll leave it at that, sorry for stomping mud all over the place...

Latrinsorm
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Playoff in 2011!!!!!

Drew
07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Playoff in 2011!!!!!

Don't tease me like that.

An 8 team playoff would make college football the best thing ever ever.

RichardCranium
07-18-2007, 07:11 AM
An 8 team playoff would make college football the best thing ever ever.

Only if your team happens to play in the SEC. Everyone else would be left out for the most part.

Drew
07-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Only if your team happens to play in the SEC. Everyone else would be left out for the most part.

I'd love to see Miami play anyone, I think their chances of winning are always better than losing. UM is 13-7 against the SEC in the past 20 games and only MSU had a losing record. They're 1-1 against your tigers too, one blowout each.

SEC is an above average conference, generally the best IMO, but it doesn't produce the best team every year.

RichardCranium
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah that wasn't directed at you. I was just getting a head start at rubbing some of these cats the wrong way by pledging my undying love of all things SEC in general and LSU specifically.

Poppatrunk
07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
GO NEBRASKA! I can't wait for the season to start! Huskers have a pretty tough schedule this year open with Nevada, then travel to Wake forest followed by a prime time home game against USC! It's going to be a fun season to watch.

Plus a bunch of other good non-conference games in the big 12. Colorado is slated to play FSU on Sept. 15th, Okie. st plays Georgia, K.state opens at Auburn, and the sooners play Miami at home. Can't wait!
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

Makkah
08-05-2007, 07:51 PM
USA Today polls are now released:

1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481
2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372
3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278
4. Texas 0-0 1,231
5. Michigan (2) 0-0 1,218
6. West Virginia 0-0 1,205
7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114
8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026
9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,005
10. Ohio State 0-0 919
11. Louisville 0-0 836
12. California 0-0 763
13. Georgia 0-0 604
14. Auburn 0-0 595
15. Tennessee 0-0 583
16. Rutgers 0-0 466
17. UCLA 0-0 454
18. Penn State 0-0 440
19. Nebraska 0-0 388
20. Arkansas 0-0 360
21. Florida State 0-0 301
22. TCU 0-0 233
23. Boise State 0-0 222
24. Hawaii 0-0 214
25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Skeeter
08-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I think that's a reasonable spot for OSU. Defense is going to be solid, everything will depend on the new QB (Boekman probably)

Drew
08-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Does anyone have NCAA 08 for the xbox 360?

Keller
08-06-2007, 08:21 AM

I was considering picking it up before I got back into WoW.

Have you heard good things?

Umpyr
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
How many college football players are there...

and how many picks are there in the draft, and whats the average numbers of undrafted free agents signed each year...then take those numbers, and then when the season begins so how many of the players are still with their teams when teams routinely trim down to, what 54 or 56 players not including practise squad, and PUP lists which could be 10-15 players or so.

I think it's safe to say that less than half of all college players are making it into the professional league. I guess if you expanded the leauge to 100's of teams, like college football...they could all find a home.

You apparently don't understand what college football is about. The reason for playing for 90% of college football players is that they love to play. Not every one of them plays just to make it to the NFL.

Then you'd get really peachy games like LSU playing the East West-Virginia Technical College team...because they were paid $50,000 to make the trip and be a stepping stone.

Again, you must not understand the concept of bowl games either. Aside from the BCS series, the point of these bowls is for kids playing football in college (for no reason other than they love to play football) to play one last game with a little bit of meaning, no matter what bowl it is.

Id rather watch football where every one of the players on the field is giving 100% and not just out there because he's earning a salary. AJ Hawk has said that he doesn't like the NFL because it's so much like a business, and I'm sure a lot of other players feel this way as well.

Skeeter
08-06-2007, 09:48 AM

I have it for the PS3. It's a great game. Be happy to play anyone that has a copy. Sergey & Sean I'm looking your way here...

Drew
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I was considering picking it up before I got back into WoW.

Have you heard good things?

I own it, I'm just looking for some people to play multiplayer against. The game has a few bugs and there are still some features they haven't adopted from the previous gen yet like create a team in dynasty mode. My guess is that by the end of this generation they'll have all the old features back in and then it will be time to ship a new totally stripped down version for the xbox 720 and the PS4.

Still it's a fun game, I didn't own any next-gen football games yet so I needed one and I do like that they've incorporated a bunch of new trick plays.

DeV
08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Not too mention half the scrubs that play would never make it into a pro league.

Ill stick with the pro's...In response to this...

My dad loved the game of football and still does to this day, but now he passes on his passion and knowledge as a coach and teacher. He played football at a Division II school mind you, received his degree, was drafted into the NFL right out of college and played one year on a NFL team. He tore his ACL during one of the games and hung up his jersey before he really got a chance to shine.

My brother is currently playing Division I football in his senior year and while he'd love a chance to play for the NFL he's aware that his chances are something like 1 in a million. Why should that deter him from doing what he's passionate about while receiving his eduaction at the same time? It's a no brainer really.

If you love the game enough and have a serious passion on top of the skill and ability required to make it at the college level you'll play regardless of the outcome. That goes for any sport. These scrubs you speak of don't play simply for the sake of making it to the NFL, the majority play because they truly love the sport, which will manifest itself in numerous ways once their collegiate careers have come to an end.

stallion4
08-06-2007, 07:18 PM

My roommate bought it and I think it's pretty impressive. Like someone said earlier, there are still a few bugs. When my buddies and I are sitting around drinking Tug of War comes in handy..decently quick games and no one has to sit around and wait for an entire game to be played. I look forward to this game every year. 360 has not disappointed.

Sean of the Thread
08-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Man after 2030510 games of Madden/NCAA on Playstation I've NEVER been able to translate to xbox. :( It's just not the same.

Sean of the Thread
08-07-2007, 05:21 AM
OHHHH YEAZ

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/Japgross/classic_albert.jpg

Keller
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Man after 2030510 games of Madden/NCAA on Playstation I've NEVER been able to translate to xbox. :( It's just not the same.

I thought the same thing.

It just takes a few weeks to get used to the different controls. Now I can't even play on PS anymore.

Drew
08-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I thought the same thing.

It just takes a few weeks to get used to the different controls. Now I can't even play on PS anymore.

Ditto. Once you're used to the better control setup you don't want to go back.

Sean
08-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Xbox controller sucks. PS3 all the way. Send me an IM skeet when you aren't busy one day and we'll play or we can just wait a week for madden for our rematch.

Makkah
08-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Does NCAA cross-platform online?

Skeeter
08-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Xbox controller sucks. PS3 all the way. Send me an IM skeet when you aren't busy one day and we'll play or we can just wait a week for madden for our rematch.

I'm probably available this weekend unless something comes up that will get me out of the house.

Warriorbird
08-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I've always wanted an excuse to follow a NCAA football team. Now I can both support my school and root against Sean2.

Go Tigers!

:)

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm probably available this weekend unless something comes up that will get me out of the house.

Awwww maybe you guys could eat a bowl of cookie doe and pinky swear that your diet starts tomorrow while you're at it.

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
I've always wanted an excuse to follow a NCAA football team. Now I can both support my school and root against Sean2.

Go Tigers!

:)

HEHE welcome to SEC greatness my friend.

TheEschaton
08-09-2007, 06:20 PM
you're going to LSU for law school?

Sean
08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Don't be so bitter that your wife wont let you buy a PS3 so you can't play X.

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't be so bitter that your wife wont let you buy a PS3 so you can't play X.

Actually way ahead of you brother... she's a resident evil freak and I showed her the new trailers/screenshots for it on PS3. It won't be long before she gets one on her own. I'll just have to get her Madden for her birthday tho.

Drew
08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
a bowl of cookie doe

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Peter-Johansky/Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-on-White-Background-Photographic-Print-C12005484.jpeg http://www.ridge-art.com/photographs/doe.jpg

cookie doe?

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
At least someone got it.. didn't think it would be one of the tards tho.

Warriorbird
08-09-2007, 11:00 PM
"you're going to LSU for law school?"

Yep. Not quite possessing Alokian levels of genius I went to the school that gave me a scholarship. The civil law degree that I'll get along with common law will be helpful for some future family business plans however, so it sort of has a dual purpose. Triple purpose, if you count the football.

TheEschaton
08-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Just beware of La. law. That shit is outdated, and just plain batshit insane.

-TheE-

Drew
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM

-TheE-

Napoleonic code baby.

Warriorbird
08-10-2007, 01:12 AM

The rest of the world (besides Britain and the US) does pretty much use civil law. They're gradually weaning LA off the civil stuff though and on to more common. The football certainly isn't outdated though. One of the profs got in a crack on a guy who went to Georgetown undergrad by noting that now he was going to a school that actually had a football team.

Makkah
08-10-2007, 01:27 AM
WELCOME TO THE SEC MOTHERFUCKER

Warriorbird
08-10-2007, 01:53 AM
If only from an early look...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/95/Brand_sec.gif/150px-Brand_sec.gif> all

Drew
08-10-2007, 04:48 AM
At least someone got it.. didn't think it would be one of the tards tho.

Roffle at you calling people retarded.