PDA

View Full Version : glow in the dark fish, holy shit

Meos
12-12-2003, 08:06 PM
http://www.time.com/time/2003/inventions/invfish.html

whoa, crazy stuff

GSLeloo
12-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Yeah they've actually been around for a while. They were originally used to detect pollution somehow. Basically they take some gene from coral and inject it into the fish..

Trinitis
12-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Heh, a friend of mine did that at his college dorm with black lights and some of those fish with the blue lines in them? Yeh, the only side affect was he had to buy more fish every 4-5 days..cause the black light killed them. Made a neat effect though!

-Adredrin

peam
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
He probably just did a shitty job of taking care of them. A black light doesn't carry anything more than a normal florescent bulb.

Trinitis
12-12-2003, 08:53 PM
It would "cook" them, via what he said. Dono for sure, since I never went to that college. I did not know him THAT well. I called him a friend because it was just easier to explain him as a friend. Good Guy. Fun to hang out with...but only did a time or two.

-Adredrin

Kurapira
12-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Watching the Discovery Channel many years ago, I was taught that there are fish in extreme depths that actually will glow like that. Not glow-in-the-dark persay, but living in such a habitat they gave off light in a familiar manner. Kinda neat.

Kurili
12-12-2003, 11:42 PM
I forget what fish they used to artificially color years ago. But that's been happenning for awhile.

And sounds like Neon/Cardinal Tetras, Adredrin. They are very sensitive to water hardness, so my guess is that was their problem. Of course, getting the water hot does tend to cook em too.

Acolyte Kurili