PDA

View Full Version : Auto Glass Question

Soulpieced
07-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok, so I went on vacation 2 weeks ago, and had the fortunate (fucking fuckshit) opportunity to completely scratch the hell out of my car's windshield with an innocent squeegie at a gas station. Here is the quandry and details.

1. The scratches are not deep, but ALL over the windshield. I can see them, but a fingernail will not catch the scratch. Night driving is not good, as the scratches reflect and cause lots of glare.

2. My car is still under factory warranty and certified pre-owned vehicle.

3. My insurance deductible is significantly higher than the cost of a new windshield.

4. Estimated windshield replacement is ~$400-$500 for my car.

My choices are:

A. Contact insurance company to see if said scratch removal/windshield replacement may be covered. I've read online that it is considered a significant impairment, and some companies "may" cover it with no deductible. Follow to step B or C.

B. Take it to the car dealer (Cadillac) and see if they can work on the scratches (questionable), and/or have the windshield replaced. I have no idea if windshield scratching is covered. There is no specific language in the warranty guide. Do not know if a dealer will have the same expertise in scratch removal vs. an autoglass.

C. Contact an auto-glass company to see if they can buff out the scratches at a low cost (approximately $60 according to some websites). If it doesn't work, they will probably try to sell/install a new windshield.

Ideas?

The Ponzzz
07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
C

Sean of the Thread
07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I thought windshield repairs are free? As in 100% covered by INS with no deductible.

The Ponzzz
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I thought windshield repairs are free? As in 100% covered by INS with no deductible.

Raises your Ins, trust me...

Ignot
07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
anytime your insurance has to pay for anything its going to go up. option C only costs $60 to try it, i would go with that and then fork over the $500 if i really had too.

Sean of the Thread
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Raises your Ins, trust me...

I hadn't considered that.