PDA

View Full Version : Experience the WoW.

Drisco
06-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Okay umm, I've never played any online games besides GSIV. I was thinking of trying WoW. I don't really have a lot of time to dedicate to the game besides maybe 2 hours a day, and a little more on the weekends. Also I am running dial up as I can't get highspeed where I live and am wondering about the speed of the game since it is so massive. Would it even be worth trying?

StrayRogue
06-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't try it if you are on dialup.

Artha
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Don't bother with dial up.

Celephais
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Really? WoW didn't seem that network intensive to me... I'm kinda blanking on if I played WoW over dialup or not, or if I"m just confusing my MMOs.

Sitting through the updates will suck, but I think the game itself will be playable.

Alfster
06-17-2007, 09:22 PM
I've heard dialup and wow aren't nearly as bad as what people claim it is.

However, I'd never try it if I were on dialup personally...

*edit- 2 hours a day is more than enough to experience most everything in wow pre level 70

Apathy
06-17-2007, 09:30 PM
You could always get someone to give you their free trial discs, install it, and see how it goes. Save yourself $30.

Artha
06-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I played on a T-3 connection shared between ~500 - 600 people, which I figure is about the same as dial up. Often it was so annoying I just stopped playing for the night and eventually I quit because it was more annoying than fun.

Celephais
06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
That doesn't really transalate that well... the connection likely wasn't the issue, it was likely a switch that was incapable of handling the number of requests in real time, so you were experiencing relatively high latency. If he has a clean dial-up connection (I would say this is likely in broadband areas, but could verywell not be if broadband isn't availible), the latency should be fine, I can't imagine WoW to be any more network intensive than FPS or any other given MMO and I've had good experiences with those long ago (with the occasional bang my head against a wall momments)

Drisco
06-17-2007, 10:51 PM
See, I'm really conflicted between even bothering with the game on such a slow connection. I've never played the game before or even heard of it besides on this site (live on a small Island.). How long would you say the learning curve is on this game, not just be able to get around but to really get a indepth understanding of it. It is the summer and I will probaly have some spare time to get into it. I just dont know if it is worth it with dial up. If there is anyone out there who has dial up or has played on it and could gimme a heads up on how bad it is that'd be grand.

StrayRogue
06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
It's very easy to pickup. There is a lot "under the hood" as it were. Dial up is your concern considering that to update the game to it's current version would require you to download probably over a gig. Good luck on 56k.

Harli
06-17-2007, 10:59 PM
I know someone who has dial-up and plays and besides the downloads he does pretty well, with slight lag in high volume areas (places with lots of people standing around). As for the learning curve, i just started playing and its pretty easy to get the hang of and lots of people are willing to help if you have questions. The hardest part for me was walking around, i wasnt used to using the keyboard ( the only other online game i have played is GS). I say get the free 10 day thing and give it a try.

Celephais
06-17-2007, 11:00 PM
The game isn't really super complicated... follow around the yellow exclamation points and you'll snag the hang of it rather quick.

Shari
06-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I used to play WoW on dialup. I wouldn't even bother if I were you. Connection was so bad in high-traffic areas like Ironforge that my connection would crash.

Jayvn
06-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Diablo 2 lod ftw :)

Sean of the Thread
06-18-2007, 12:24 AM
PB heals just fine on dialup I hear.. at least that his excuse on wipes.

Drisco
06-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I think I'll give it a go on the free trial and if it doesn't work out I'll just keep the game around until my area can get highspeed or until I move. That 1gig for updates would prolly take a good day which would be nice if I didn't need my phones for buisness.

Thanks guy's for the help.

Alfster
06-18-2007, 07:15 AM
I think I'll give it a go on the free trial and if it doesn't work out I'll just keep the game around until my area can get highspeed or until I move. That 1gig for updates would prolly take a good day which would be nice if I didn't need my phones for buisness.

Thanks guy's for the help.

If you do some searching you can find the updates on sites other than Blizz's and they tend to be FAR faster than Blizz's updater thingermajig

Nieninque
06-18-2007, 07:30 AM
fileplanet.com
filefront.com are but two.

DeV
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I remember just starting WoW when I had DSL. Going into major cities was somewhat of a bitch. All in all, it's worth a try, and you should definitely check it out when you finally get high speed access.

Zentoph
06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
i have cable and I lag pretty bad when I'm in the capital city i gotta get more ram I only have 512 but if your running with low ram and dial up that shit is gonna suck!

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Any lag on WoW with a good internet connection is definitely graphics lag caused by your machine.

Sean of the Thread
06-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Memory is another common cause.

CrystalTears
06-18-2007, 12:30 PM
The lag in the cities has vastly improved since they linked the AH in all cities. I used to have a horrible time in Ironforge and/or Orgrimmar. Now it may skip, but not as often and not as bad.

And yes, memory will really help that.

GS4-D
06-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm in the same bind, where whenever I'm in IF, SW or any other populated city I get super lagged. I'm running 512 MB RAM and a ATI Radeon Xpress 200 which gives up to 256MB shared video memory. Should I upgrade the RAM to 1GB or upgrade the graphics card, or both? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, so the cheapest quick fix would work.

Sean of the Thread
06-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Man back in the day the AH lag was complete bullshit. Ironforge was complete bullshit. I have the same computer and things run 100x smoother now.. they really got their shit together.

Memory is cheap.. cards are cheap. First of all how much of a budget do you have and then we can go from there.

It's my opinion you need at least a gig and you definitely need to upgrade your card. Shouldn't really cost you much and it's worth it as you'll really see a difference. Level of enjoyment goes up greatly.

GS4-D
06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I was thinking about a budget of 100 bucks, but I can up it to 200. I imagine I can get another 512 chip for around 30/40, and then sink the rest in a graphic card. Any recommendations on which type of card?

Celephais
06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I was thinking about a budget of 100 bucks, but I can up it to 200. I imagine I can get another 512 chip for around 30/40, and then sink the rest in a graphic card. Any recommendations on which type of card?

Your MB... does it have a PCI-Ex slot? I'm going to assume not and that you're looking for an AGP card. If it has the PCI-Ex slot you can get a badass 8600GTS for under $100. I don't know the market too well for AGP, but there are some really really good deals. But certainly a discrete graphics card will help a LOT, the whole shared memory directly takes away from memory the application can use, and it's slower memory.

Also your current RAM, how is it composed, do you have open slots? Do you have it laid out to take advantage of a matched pair? Again what motherboard do you have, are you looking for DDR or DDR2 (or god forbid Rambus)

GS4-D
06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 is what I have. I have an open slot available, so I'm thinking getting another 512 or a full G.

As for PCI-Ex slot, I'm not sure what that is.

Sean of the Thread
06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
If you don't know what it is you most likely don't have it. You'll be stuck with an agp as best option most likely.

Celephais
06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
If you don't know what it is you most likely don't have it. You'll be stuck with an agp as best option most likely.

Part of me is afraid it's an onboard and that's it PC...

Drisco
06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Okay I tried it and it seems to work fine. No lag and im only running Dialup and a 512 Ram and it runs smoothly. The only problem is... I dont find the game that fun.. heh I am only level 9 Human Mage in PVP but it isn't hitting it off for me. Maybe I am missing something tho, I'm doing all the quests and killing tons of Kobolts, Difiant Bandits and Wolfs heh its just boring. The other players are idiots that just talk about nonsense non stop. When I go to do quests in the Mines and what not, it takes me about 1 min to kill a Kobolt (firebolt..firebolt...firebolt..attack.. death) and there are tons of them and they just gang up on me and kill me. I am in the world.. Gorgonnash or something but it is Medium amount of people. Also I have no idea what to do other then hunt gain level/money go to my trainer and buy a new spell.. Is there anything beyond that. Maybe I am doing something wrong but as of right now the game is a bummer to me.

Artha
06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
First thing, if you're looking for maturity, get off a PvP server.

Second, you have to learn about aggro...nothing in GS is really comparable to the engagement system in WoW, but the essential thing is to stay out of aggro range if you don't want things to gang up and kill you. With most areas, you can kill things one or two at a time with relative ease, just pay attention to where you're going and keep some distance between you and the mobs.

Also, check the Auction House for green items. They'll provide a boost to your stats and make your character noticably better. It's a good use for money beyond training skills.

CrystalTears
06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately you can't judge the game on 9 levels. It won't get mildly interesting until 10 when you start getting talents to train in, and honestly, you don't get a good feel for your class until at least level 20 when you can start venturing into instances and harder areas. The first 10 levels are always the most boring and dull.

StrayRogue
06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Yep. The first ten levels can be done in a few hours and are only to acclimatize you to the game. PvP doesn't even come into it until you're 19 or so (unless you want to BG earlier - and get owned).

Skeeter
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
you also need to join a guild.

/agree with getting off pvp server unless you want to deal with 12yo napoleon's and people with names like Pokeuranus.

I think there's still a couple of us that play on AD alliance side. large faction on Dunemaul horde side, if you're hooked on the pvp thing.

StrayRogue
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
And BTW, the best and most successful guilds play on PvP servers.

Artha
06-25-2007, 04:08 PM
That doesn't make them a good place for new players.

StrayRogue
06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Some people don't like playing games on carebear mode.

Trouble
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Leveling on a PvP server can get quite aggravating at times, but I imagine leveling on a PvE or RP server would be that much more boring.

Landrion
06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
you also need to join a guild.

I cannot stress this enough.

While it is possible to do solo, the game is meant to be played with friends. You cant do the instances alone, pick up groups are nightmarish and battlegrounds are much more fun with a coordinated team that wins.

Get a guild, right away.

StrayRogue
06-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes. While people whine about being ganked (it doesn't happen much sub 60's now anyway). they fail to remember that they are given the oppurtunity to gank other players as well, which is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game. Rogue's in non-PvP servers are just fucking usless, basically.

Landrion
06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Some people don't like playing games on carebear mode.

I suggest a mid-ground. Try a PvP and an RP server. See what suits you.

Atlanteax
06-25-2007, 04:20 PM
There are like 4-5 hybrid PvP-RP servers... all the naming and RP emphasis of RP servers, but with "PvP happens" understanding.

Tolwynn
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
it doesn't happen much sub 60's now anyway

stv would seriously disagree with you there.

CrystalTears
06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
stv would seriously disagree with you there.
QFT. And Hillsbrad Foothills. Cripes.

Apathy
06-25-2007, 07:06 PM
There are like 4-5 hybrid PvP-RP servers... all the naming and RP emphasis of RP servers, but with "PvP happens" understanding.

Ravenholdt FTW.

RP exists, and you get to smash the Alliance (or the Horde, whichever is your cup of tea). Even though the server is a bit lopsided in favor of the Horde right now (Horde constantly owns world pvp), random player's will attempt to RP their way out of being smashed.

Sean of the Thread
06-25-2007, 08:26 PM
PVP only. Sack up and l2p for real.

Skeeter
06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
PVP on WoW irritates me on all aspects for some reason. I don't even enjoy the battle grounds.

Oddly I'm looking forward to playing Warhammer online just for the pvp.

:shrug:

StrayRogue
06-26-2007, 01:46 AM
I got whacked maybe twice in STV. As a priest. With ZG being pointless now, it's a lot more vacant than a year ago.

Kainen
06-26-2007, 02:16 AM
I joined wow for the 10 day trial and logged onto one of the hybrid servers. I have to admit that it's fun to have the odd alliance run into the crossroads and there be a bunch of smaller players around plinking away at him/her. Sure I've been killed a few times by an alliance player running through that area, but so what? I just get back up and go get my body. :lol:

thefarmer
06-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Fun story.

I was ringing on a register at work, when this fairly geeky looking girl came up, set down some manga books and after giving her the total, she whipped out her WoW credit card and paid.

I was fairly surprised at a CC from WoW.. but there it was..all fancy with the WoW logo and everything. Is there any particular benefit to having one, or is it just something to show off?

thefarmer
06-26-2007, 05:03 AM
I can just see it now..

Simutronics to offer Credit Cards with your own customized character on the front! Get a 1% discount on all Simu games. Pay no interest the first 6 months, then pay only 75% interest! Platinum subscribers pay only 50%!

Tolwynn
06-26-2007, 07:50 AM
The WoW card earns you a 1% bonus with each purchase that's applied toward the monthly fee of the game. Spend over a grand a month on your credit card, and you can play WoW for free! Maybe Simu will follow suit, at that rate.