PDA

View Full Version : Any decent MUD?

Back
06-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Got the bug to MUD again. I tried Ancient Chaos and its not doing it for me.

I知 just looking for a decently populated, creatively built game that I can solo for an hour here or there. I知 not looking for hardcore roleplay.

Any recommendations?

Ignot
06-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I知 not looking for hardcore roleplay.

Gemstone

Back
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Eh, I知 not paying for that. Should have mentioned it should be free.

BTW, there is a Federation II up and running for any of you fans out there.

Celephais
06-16-2007, 12:52 PM
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=21917&page=7&highlight=Necromium

Averages 20-30 people online according to their site... http://www.necromium.com/currentinfo/graph.php

Necromium was fun... I've been sorta tempted lately to give it another go. It's got a neat leveling/multi-classing system that lets you experience "end game" relatively quickly... you pick a class (warrior/wizard/cleric/rogue) and level up to 33 (and you can hang out there for a while and be a "weaker" capped character), then you can pick another class based on what you were at first. So wizard has to pick either Ranger(Warrior)/Druid(Cleric)/Bard(rogue), and then you pick another when you reach 33 again, if you opted to be a Bard (rogue) you now can choose between Shaman (Cleric) or Mercenary (Warrior) if you opt for Shaman your next class would be Paladin, until finally you hit 33 again and become a wizard again, except you retain your powers from the other classes (for a total of level 165... 33 in 5 different classes). When you reach 15 as a Shaman you have access to the skills you had at 15 as a bard and 15 as a wizard, but you're still level 15.

TheEschaton
06-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Federation II? As in a continuation of Federation?

-TheE-

Drisco
06-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Is there any other MUD game besides gemstone.

- That has a larger population than gemstone.
- Same kind of fantasy game like gemstone.
- Cheaper or dare I say More Expensive!
- A little more Rp'ing but not to mutch.

- Or am I dreaming and there isn't such a thing.:(

Seran
06-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I've always played ArcticMUD, which tends to have between 25-40 active players given the time. Used to be in the hundreds, but the game has atrophied quite abit due to rampant PvP. All and all, it's fun, it's absolutely huge and has some great systems in it.

mud.arctic.org

Celephais
06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Some googling turned up:
http://www.aardwolf.com/mud/stats.html

It has a stat for "Most online" of 534 since "reboot" (no idea when that was...), and it's free. Never played it, might be sorta what you're looking for.

Jayvn
06-16-2007, 02:06 PM
You can go play with that guy who plays modus....

Blazing247
06-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Whatever happened to Unwritten Legends (Realms of Exile)? Then there was that MUD that had a lot of promise written by an ex GS GM, Ae something was the name of it.

Jazuela
06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Aeternity, it went under, was started by Aephir.

Unwritten is still around, and it's RP enforced but not an RPI, and you can hunt to your heart's delight. The in-game helpfiles are very confusing, but they have a kajillion verbs you can play with.

Aardwolf is free and heavily populated.

The Iron Realms games are free to play, but you have to pay for perks. Fortunately the perks aren't necessary for viable playtime, and they can also be earned via a few in-game quests or something like that. At last count I think there were 4 Iron Realms games available with Achaea being their flagship.

Ancient Anguish is another free game with a decent population but not as heavily populated as the ones I've mentioned above.

The Ponzzz
06-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Aephir did more than just Realms of Exile? Or did it just change names?

When I left GS for awhile in 2003, I got that same itch to play a MUD. My issue was I compared everything to GS. I did Aardwolf, I did some half graphic, half MUD game and I tried a bunch of the games on the Vote for the Top 100 MUDs site.

Most got boring when there was no RP. If I want no RP, I'll go play FFXI or WoW. Some felt Single player(worse than what I assume people feel of Platinum). End game could be done in a few months.

Anyways, GemStone is unique in the fact that it's the king of MUDs for the price. You won't be happy with anything else.

Back
06-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Federation II? As in a continuation of Federation?

-TheE-

A yep. Its in the current top 10 at Mud Connecter. http://www.ibgames.com/

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=21917&page=7&highlight=Necromium

Averages 20-30 people online according to their site... http://www.necromium.com/currentinfo/graph.php

Necromium was fun... I've been sorta tempted lately to give it another go. It's got a neat leveling/multi-classing system that lets you experience "end game" relatively quickly... you pick a class (warrior/wizard/cleric/rogue) and level up to 33 (and you can hang out there for a while and be a "weaker" capped character), then you can pick another class based on what you were at first. So wizard has to pick either Ranger(Warrior)/Druid(Cleric)/Bard(rogue), and then you pick another when you reach 33 again, if you opted to be a Bard (rogue) you now can choose between Shaman (Cleric) or Mercenary (Warrior) if you opt for Shaman your next class would be Paladin, until finally you hit 33 again and become a wizard again, except you retain your powers from the other classes (for a total of level 165... 33 in 5 different classes). When you reach 15 as a Shaman you have access to the skills you had at 15 as a bard and 15 as a wizard, but you're still level 15.

It looks very interesting. I致e started ZombieMUD because it seems to have a unique system. But what looks cool about Necromium is that there are no races. Thats pretty cool from an user standpoint. Presuming that you could describe yourself however you wanted i.e. a block of havarti cheese.

The Ponzzz
06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
i.e. a block of havarti cheese

This what I hated. I believe Aardwolf did the same thing where I could describe myself however.

TheEschaton
06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Fuck, I might have to fire up zMUD for that. I used to play Federation, and was relatively famous in the game.