PDA

View Full Version : Pandora Radio

Kranar
06-13-2007, 04:49 PM
www.pandora.com (http://www.pandora.com)

I just learned about this yesterday and it's an amazing internet radio station.

Basically the way to think about it is... you pick a starting point for what kind of music you like, for example I started out with Elliott Smith. So the first song it plays is clearly a song by Elliott Smith. Then the next song it plays will be one that is similar to Elliott Smith based on a set of 400 different variables that relates music together. Think of it as being part of some massive 400 dimensional space and you pick where you want to start off. Each song it plays takes you gradually more and more along a new direction. If you like the direction you're headed in you just give it a thumbs up and keep on listening... if you don't like the direction you give a thumbs down and it will rotate your position just slightly towards a new direction and this process continues. You can travel back and forth within the continuum of music available and listen to new songs and music that fits your style.

It's a great concept, a great way to listen to new music you might enjoy, and it's actually turning out to be very accurate for me atleast.

StrayRogue
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, fantastic site. A friend of mine in the "music industry" swears by it.

Asha
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Been using this for ages. It's how I make new playlists for my mp3 players since I can never think of anything I'd like to DL.
It's very clever.

The Ponzzz
06-13-2007, 06:48 PM
I been using this since 2005 as well. Though, this reminds of a thread I wanted to bring up about music.

Blazing247
06-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Fucking great. Thanks for the link.

Back
06-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Yep, been using it for a year now when I am at a remote locale and don’t have my tunes. It takes some tuning... meaning clicking out tunes you don’t like or do like from your set. But I have discovered and purchased new bands from it.

Artha
06-13-2007, 07:45 PM
It's awesome for finding new music to listen to.

Asha
06-13-2007, 07:53 PM
But I have discovered and purchased new bands from it.

Purchased? For shame..

Kranar
06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
That's very interesting that many of you use it.

The reason I heard about it was because the guys in charge of Pandora came over two days ago on a campaign of sorts on how they are going to have to shutdown because the music industry is jacking up the price on them and on internet radio in general.

TheEschaton
06-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Pandora is free, innit?

Asha
06-13-2007, 08:13 PM
That's the point I believe. If it wasn't they could probably afford the charges they're being stuck with.
It's sik what the guys in charge are going to do with internet radio stations.

The Ponzzz
06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow, good thing I didn't buy the 300 buck system for my office if they really drop out.

Sirius never plays what I wanna hear, i end up listening to Howard or Maxim half the time to get me some laughs.

Be a huge shame if they close shop. Though, if they force people to pay a one time fee to keep it free, I'd do it.

Kranar
06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Pandora is funded via advertising or you can pay 3 bucks a month to get rid of the advertisements.

So it's either going to increase in price or get dropped or the music industry will have mercy.

Back
06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
I’ve posted about it in the Music for the Masses thread. A while back. There is an on-line petition you can sign for what thats worth. And not only does it affect Pandora, it affects every internet radio station out there.

StrayRogue
06-14-2007, 07:19 AM
No, it does not effect every radio station. Just the ones in America.

Kainen
06-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Thank you for the link.. I am having a good time rating the songs they are offering that sound like the music I asked for in the first place.

Trouble
06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
The main thing I don't like about Pandora is that if they play a string of songs you don't like and try to skip them it will cut you off after a certain number of songs. Something about too many songs over a short period is a violation of their license or whatever.

Back
06-15-2007, 08:14 AM
No, it does not effect every radio station. Just the ones in America.

Whoops. Color me provincial.

For all you internet-radio-music-loving-Americans out there...

http://www.savenetradio.org

Latrinsorm
06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
This site is crazy awesome, but am I the only one (besides Kranar) that would be utterly fascinated to see the rank 400 tensor itself?

Latrinsorm
06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Okay, Hem doing a cover of Radiation Vibe is I think the trippiest thing I've ever heard.

Kranar
06-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Haha, I'm glad you have that facination as well. When I think about the mechanics of Pandora I literally visualize myself floating through a 400-dimensional musical universe. Seeing the 'laws' of this universe that guide me through it would be pretty cool.

Miss X
06-15-2007, 01:02 PM
This rules! I just heard a great Juvenile song but I cant find it on Limewire! Boo.

Augie
06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I absolutely love Pandora. I have so many different station lists with various genres of music. I have found a ton of bands that I may never have come across ever and was able to download a lot of new music.

I went through a few month stretch where I grew my mp3 list by a few hundred songs just from Pandora alone. :heart: :heart: :heart: Pandora!

I really do hope that they don't go under cause the site's amazing.