PDA

View Full Version : Editing Wizard Scripts in Vista...

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey y'all...the one thing the summer job affords me is actual time in the evenings to play GS again. So I'm gonna pick it up again this summer..

However, I'm having some troubles - when I try and edit a script in Vista, it automatically thinks the .Cmd extension means it's some sort of, you know, important system file. So, I can open it, and it opens via Notepad fine enough, but when I try and save it, it says "Cannot create c:\.........Scripts\taiwizwork.cmd file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct." Then it pops up a Save As dialogue box which would allow me to save my script as taiwizwork.txt, instead of taiwizwork.cmd. I'm assuming it thinks I can't create new Cmd files. Any fixes?

Oh, and I still can't get into the game with SGE on Vista. Any ideas?

-TheE-

Celephais
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Check the properites on the item and make sure it's not read-only... also see if there is a folder options thing for protecting system files (I don't have vista so Ic an't tell you for sure). You should be able to save .cmd files by selecting "all types" for file type (instead of *.txt) and then surrounding the file name in quotes "taiwizwork.txt". Another option would be to save it as a .txt and make sure it's "showing known file type extensions" (another folder option) and then rename it from .txt to .cmd

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I do that (selecting "all types") and saving it as taiwizwork.cmd, and it does the same thing.

-TheE-

Celephais
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I do that (selecting "all types") and saving it as taiwizwork.cmd, and it does the same thing.

-TheE-

Did you put it in quotes? and try saving it where it doesn't already exist (so you're not trying to overwrite it) and then delete the old one from the explorer and copy in the one you just saved.

... hmm some googling:

Try entering this in the command prompt (wow, what a sucky solution)
navigate to the folder
takeown /f taiwizwork.cmd
cacls taiwizwork /G TheE:F

Replacing "TheE" with your win user name.

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
command prompt in DOS?

Wow.

-TheE-

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
On the first command, I get that I don't own the file or folder named taiwizwork.cmd, etc.

On the second one, I get that CACLS is deprecated. I tried Icacls, the new function, and it says Alok:F is an invalid parameter, even though that's the User name.

-TheE-

Celephais
06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Hmm.. well that's just balls. I'm sure there is a simple way to turn off System file protection, maybe someone who knows Vista better will pipe in... hopefully shortly. poke around in the options and advanced settings stuff of the folder... has to be there somewhere.

Bobmuhthol
06-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Vista :(

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Hmmmm, I can't even DL scripts to the folder. It says I don't have permission to write to it. I keep on trying to change it from Read-Only to not, but it keeps resetting the Read-Onlyness.

-TheE-

Celephais
06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Are you logged in as an administrative account? You're probably on a restricted account... either log in as admin and do what you gotta do, or give your account more permissions.

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
There's only one account, it's my personal laptop, and as far as I can tell, I'm the Administrator (at least that's what it says under User Accounts).

-TheE-

TheEschaton
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Ha, I just changed one thing (User Account Control), and now everything works! I can sign in via SGE, I can save my scripts, I can download scripts. Yay

-TheE-

The Ponzzz
06-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Was just about to tell you to turn off the UAC. It's a hateful thing.