PDA

View Full Version : TMJ anyone?

Kyra
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Usually dose or 2 of naproxyn kicks my TMJ pain down several notches but not this flare up.

Seems I'm clenching/grinding in my sleep something fierce since I wake myself up in pain ..teeth & jaw.

Anyone else afflicted with this oh so fun disorder? What's worked best for you to relieve pain?

K.

Apotheosis
06-02-2005, 08:02 PM
my friend has it and they gave her valium. not sure if thats helpful, but it seems to help her sleep.

Soulpieced
06-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Get a custom mouthguard from your dentist for when you sleep.

http://www.maxxgard.com/images/mouthguard1.jpg

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by Soulpieced]

HarmNone
06-02-2005, 08:07 PM
TMJ often gets worse over time, hon. Your dentist can help you deal with it. In the meantime, naproxin or ibuprofen will help some, but may not be enough during a severe flare-up.

Makkah
06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
(naproxen)

Kyra
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
(naproxen)

That was so helpful Makkah, thanks...glad my topic could boost your post count :asshole:

To everyone else who actually WAS helpful(thank you!)..
I've reached a point where my dentist would like to break my jaw & re-align it in an attempt to "fix" the problem...I've decided to pass on that at this point in time.

Seems this is one ugly thing to battle & really the doctor and the dentist are lost as to what they can actually do to even make it manageable(I don't want narcotics).

So, back to the drawing board :D I'm always interested in what has helped for others. Thanks for sharing.

Kyra & flock.

Gan
06-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Had TMJ on left jaw after it progressed from just popping out of socket into locking up alltogether. Anti-Inflammatory (Naproxem or Advil (IBP)) Usually worked best until my physician referred me to an orthodontist for surgery.

Have it looked at ASAP before it gets to the point that they'll have to restretch the ligaments and shave pre-worn bone from the joint. Rehab is no fun after reaching that stage.

Kyra
06-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Had TMJ on left jaw after it progressed from just popping out of socket into locking up alltogether. Anti-Inflammatory (Naproxem or Advil (IBP)) Usually worked best until my physician referred me to an orthodontist for surgery.

Have it looked at ASAP before it gets to the point that they'll have to restretch the ligaments and shave pre-worn bone from the joint. Rehab is no fun after reaching that stage.

Did you have to have that done? Did it help at all? I've heard so many horror stories about the surgeries either doing nothing or making the condition worse than before.

K.

06-03-2005, 09:54 PM
The people who have had it, that I have known, have all been Asian, they have.

That aside, I've heard that it's pretty crappy :shrug:

Kyra
06-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Hmmm, well I'm not asian...american indian & german :) And yeah, it sucks ass big time..I've had root canals, gall stones with septicemia & pushed out kids without pain-killers & all of them were less painful than this :banghead: .

K.

Gan
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Kyra

Originally posted by Ganalon

Did you have to have that done? Did it help at all? I've heard so many horror stories about the surgeries either doing nothing or making the condition worse than before.

K.

Yes. What started out as innocent popping when I ate something that required vigorous chewing turned into my jaw locking up in the open position when I was asleep. But being asleep I didnt know different than to close my mouth forcefully so it popped back into place - after a time I kept waking up with a swollen face and some serious pain. Then it started locking up while I was awake and the pain was excruciating. Vicodin was no help and my doctor finally said surgery was inevitable.

Yes. My left side jaw does not lock up anymore nor does it pop when I eat. My only downside is that I swear I cant open my mouth as wide as I used to - but thats cool because it forces me to eat smaller bites.

It fixed my left side but unfortunately for me its hereditary (everyone on my dad's side has had jaw problems) so now my right side is starting to pop when I eat. So I'll look forward to more work done eventually.

Also, gum is a no no for me now. My doc said gum would speed up the deterioration of the joint so I just stay away from it entirely.

Second note, I had TMJ back in 92 when most of the orthoscopic procedures will still fairly new. I imagine technology and surgical advances have made the whole processs much better than it was when I had it done. As far as the scar goes, I have a neat little incision along my left ear that you cant notice unless you get real close (looks like a plastic surgery scar).

AnticorRifling
06-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Ganalon got a face lift he's making up the jaw story to account for the scar.

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you, don't you don't you.

Divinity
06-03-2005, 11:49 PM
I went to the doc and he gave me a "spacer" to wear when I sleep. He basically took a mold of my teeth on the bottom and made this plastic spacer. It's similar to what you wear in some sports, except this is just on the bottom.

It does help (A LOT), and most insurance companies cover for it. I would look into that if I were you.

AnticorRifling
06-03-2005, 11:54 PM
I used to wear a bite plate because I ground my teeth in my sleep. I have no idea what TMJ is but it sounds like a jaw thing so that's as close as I can get in order to relate. Well the braces, rubberbands, and headgear too but the bite plate seems to fit this instance.

Divinity
06-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ)

It hurts like hell. It's especially lovely when you're kissing your S/O and you hear popping sounds. Heh.

Hulkein
06-04-2005, 12:13 AM
My jaw clicks like once in a long while while eating for a little bit... but I read that's fairly common.

Am I at risk for this? Sounds like a shitty experience.

HarmNone
06-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Probably not, Hulkein. A click once in awhile isn't really a problem. However, if you're concerned, mention it to your dentist next time you see him. :)

Hulkein
06-04-2005, 12:25 AM
All right, good.

I'll see if I remember to ask, but I'm of the sort where I'd rather not find out because if I don't ask it won't happen.

Crazy part of the Irish in me I'm told.

HarmNone
06-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Heh. Well, then, laddie...may the wind be al'ays at yer back, an' may the road ahead o' ye ne'er lead ta TMJ.

Kyra
06-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I had a mouth guard from the dentist for 2 years, then it actually started making it so I couldn't close my mouth all the way so the dentist took that from me with a quickness. It did seem to help some while I had it(tooth damage anyways).

I remember learning I had TMJ the hard way, my jaw locked open one day & I forced it closed. Didn't do that twice :no:

I've never heard of that surgery though, other types but not that particular one. I'd be willing to have ALOT of scars to get rid of the pain...I will have to ask the Dr. about it.

Right now it's been 3 days since I could eat anything except some Ensure(yuck) so even a broken jaw almost sounds good at this point :smilegrin:

K.

Gan
06-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Ganalon got a face lift he's making up the jaw story to account for the scar.

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you, don't you don't you.

Roffle, yea, but I suck because they only did one side becuase I only have the scar on the left. :(

Edited to add, thats a kickass song btw. Reminds me of the times when I was young enough/small enough to stand up in the front seat of the car and when the speed limit was 70 mph the first time around (early 70's).

[Edited on 6-4-2005 by Ganalon]

Gan
06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Hulkein
My jaw clicks like once in a long while while eating for a little bit... but I read that's fairly common.

Am I at risk for this? Sounds like a shitty experience.

I wouldnt consider anything invasive until and only if it starts locking up, causing pain, and making the side of your face swell up.

My orthodontist said the popping is livable if it doesnt progress to locking up.