PDA

View Full Version : Nurse!!!

Jenisi
06-02-2005, 07:27 PM
I have the sickness :( And this is an odd question... is it better to take tylonel/asprin/ibprofin or is it better to sweat a fever out naturally? Ugh I feel like i'm gonna die :(

peam
06-02-2005, 07:28 PM
The herp.

HarmNone
06-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Take Tylenol for fever, hon. It works best.

Sorry you're sick. :(

Miss X
06-02-2005, 07:30 PM
If Tylenol is paracetamol (or Acetaminophen as some call it) then it will reduce your temp as its an anti pyretic. You can take that with ibuprofen though as they work in different parts of the body so taking both together is fine. Ibuprofen should be better at the aches and pains too.

Jenisi
06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Is it weird that my bones hurt? heh

Jolena
06-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Alternate motrin and Tylenol, hon. You can take Motrin every four hours and Tylenol every six hours. The Motrin is ibuprofen so it won't hurt you to take both and it will keep the fever down and as mentioned before, help with the aches and pains.

Atlanteax
06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
The crabs be bad for you! :weird:

Jenisi
06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I like how the girls actually care and the guy's keep throwing jokes my way. Jeeeeeeeeze. <3 you all (well most of you) anyway.

HarmNone
06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Yep. If you've got aches and pains, as well, Ibuprofen will help with that problem. Sounds like you've got the flu. Blech! :S

Killer Kitten
06-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Better living through Chemistry. I'm a big Tylenol fan, but if your stomach can handle it (some can't) taking ibuprofen along with it is fine also.

Don't forget to drink lots of fluids. Water is good, but add a sports drink like Gatorade to the mix to replace any lost electrolytes.

And rest. Sleep is very beneficial.

Jorddyn
06-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
Alternate motrin and Tylenol, hon. You can take Motrin every four hours and Tylenol every six hours. The Motrin is ibuprofen so it won't hurt you to take both and it will keep the fever down and as mentioned before, help with the aches and pains.

Add a shot of whiskey before you go to bed, and you're golden in the morning.

Jorddyn, loves grandma's prescriptions

Gan
06-02-2005, 10:23 PM
According to my wife the nurse, you can rotate Tylenol and IBP every 2 hours if your fever isnt taken out by the Tylenol first. So Tylenol, then 2 hours later IBP, then 2 hours later more Tylenol. Dont exceed the maximum 24 hour dosage though for either.

Ravenstorm
06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Personally, I prefer aspirin. I find it does a much better job at lowering fever and reducing pain. I especially find it better when dealing with muscular problems. Yes, it can cause an upset stomach. I've never had a problem with it and at the worst of my back problem, I was taking a good 3k mg a day. (Granted a nurse did once ask me why I wasn't bleeding internally when she found that out.)

Raven

Killer Kitten
06-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Personally, I prefer aspirin. I find it does a much better job at lowering fever and reducing pain. I especially find it better when dealing with muscular problems. Yes, it can cause an upset stomach. I've never had a problem with it and at the worst of my back problem, I was taking a good 3k mg a day. (Granted a nurse did once ask me why I wasn't bleeding internally when she found that out.)

Raven

Aspirin is a great drug, I'm just one of those unfortunates who starts with the violent upchucking if anything I take contains any aspirin. The only over the counter pain med I've found that doesn't produce nausea for me is Tylenol, so it has become my own personal favorite.

That being said, you're right about the aspirin. If you're lucky enough to be able to handle it, aspirin really is a wonder drug.

At the zoo I always kept aspirin boluses stocked for our large animals. We're talking huge pills that tended to powder a bit. I had to wear gloves while handling them, or I'd get a little sick just from the act of counting them out and cutting/bottling them. Strange, huh?

And I hope at this point you're starting to feel a bit better Jenisi.

Chadj
06-03-2005, 02:45 AM

HAhahahhaha.

Ebondale
06-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Jenisi
I have the sickness :( And this is an odd question... is it better to take tylonel/asprin/ibprofin or is it better to sweat a fever out naturally? Ugh I feel like i'm gonna die :(

Different things work differently for different people. I myself find that Ibuprofen and TheraFlu work pretty well for me.

Most importantly, though. Remember to drink lots of fluids to wash all those bad things out of your body! :)

Keller
06-03-2005, 02:54 AM
I steal these individual packets of "Cold Krushers!" from my works FA cabinet. They do the trick.

Besides that I drink a lot of water (I drink 2 gallons on a normal day, bump that to 3 gallons and a liter of gatorade on sick days) and exercise. I don't know why exercise always makes me feel better but it does.

Disclaimer: The aforementioned advice is for flu-like symptoms and will not cure broken bones or cancer. For those I recommend 'tussin. Aint got no mo' tussin? Take an empty bottle, add water, and shake the bottle up; Mo' tussin!

Jenisi
06-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Fever at 102.7 how high should it get before I start thinking about going to er?

Ebondale
06-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Fever at 102.7 how high should it get before I start thinking about going to er?

103.5 - 104.

I had a 106 one time. Ahh, memories...

Jenisi
06-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Thank you

Asha
06-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Get better, that's an order!!

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by Drayal]

Ravenstorm
06-03-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Ebondale

103.5 - 104.

Yeah, that sounds right to me. Aspirin or Tylenol should help bring it down though. And be certain to drink a lot.

Raven

4a6c1
06-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Ugh. Sounds like you have the flu. Tomorrow you will feel like you got hit by a bus. I suggest orange juice, vitamin c pills, eucalyptus vitamins and a huge fatty protein breakfast. You'll still feel like the dumps but at least your bodywill be recharged. Fever should break in a couple of days though. Go you.

Rum and coke when the fever goes down. :D

HarmNone
06-03-2005, 06:39 AM
If Tylenol won't keep the fever under 103, I'd call the doctor. Tylenol should keep things manageable.

Czeska
06-03-2005, 07:37 AM
A cup of catnip tea is a fever reducer too. Yes, I'm serious. Again.

Tromp
06-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Awww Jenisi, I feel for you sweety.

Jenisi
06-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Well I woke up and it's down to 101... but my voice is going... my mom thinks I have step :(

Sean of the Thread
06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Listen dummy.. if your fever and aches persist you are better off going to the ER (you never have to pay them :P) and get checked out. Menegitis feels EXACTLY like alot of things and causes many secondary infections.. I.E. throat.. eye.. ear.. etc. except that it will kill you. The sooner you get checked out the better.. don't wait. I thought I was being a tough guy fighting off a bad flu when I started seeing spots and went to the ER. Menegitis it was and I waited so long I begin getting secondary infections in my weakened state. Retinal scarring is fun!

Jenisi
06-03-2005, 12:53 PM
You never have to pay the ER? Never heard of that one.

Tromp
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Xyelin
Listen dummy..

Hey did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what?

The girl is not feeling good.

xtc
06-03-2005, 12:57 PM
If you have flu and it is within 48 hours get the Doctor to write a script for tamiflu. It stops the virus from spreading should shorten the duration of it. If it is strep an antibiotic should clear it up.

Either way go see the Doctor.

Leetahkin
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Not to mention strep is contagious as hell. I have a tendency to get strep at the drop of a dime.
If you have a physician, see if they can get you into their office today or tomorrow, since your fever isn't going up.

Killer Kitten
06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Tromp

Originally posted by Xyelin
Listen dummy..

Hey did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what?

The girl is not feeling good.

It sounded like an affectionate sort of 'Listen dummy...' to me. I'll often address my best friend like that when she's agonizing over something and I always say it with love.

HarmNone
06-03-2005, 01:53 PM
If it's strep, you'll see white patches in the back of your throat. If you see them, get to the doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics.

Ravenstorm
06-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
If it's strep, you'll see white patches in the back of your throat. If you see them, get to the doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics.

Not necessarily. As a kid, I'd regularly get 2-3 strep a year and the only signs of it were redness and pain swallowing.

Raven

HarmNone
06-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Kids don't necessarily show the white patches. Adults do, though. ;)

06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Get some antibiotics and drink the ginseng brew.

Jorddyn
06-03-2005, 04:04 PM
You never have to pay the ER? Never heard of that one.

Well, you never have to pay anyone (except maybe the IRS). The ER, however, has to see you if it is an "emergency", which is subjective. Your doctor never has to see you again if you skip on your bill.

At least, uh, that's how I think it goes. :shrug:

Jorddyn

HarmNone
06-03-2005, 04:27 PM
The ER has to see you, yes. They will, however, bill you for the service. Most hospitals have payment plans, if required. Hospitals are also required to offer free services to those who simply cannot pay.