PDA

View Full Version : WAR (Warhammer: Age of Reckoning) Beta

Makkah
06-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Closed beta invites started going out yesterday. I think I read it was mainly people with good beta-experience and people with connects that got in thus far.

Probably a longshot, but anyone get in?

The Ponzzz
06-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Not me. :(

Makkah
06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Yea... me neither. Been with the newsletter since day 1 as well. Oh well, maybe next week/month.

Skeeter
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I applied also. haven't heard anything yet.

The Ponzzz
06-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Here's hoping! Heh!

Alfster
06-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I also have not heard back yet

Drinin
06-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Nothing here either. Looking forward to this game as well as Conan.

Makkah
06-10-2007, 01:48 PM
If I could afford a rig that would run Conan and do it justice, I'd be balls to the wall for it.

Blazing247
06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I got excited the other day because I got an email asking me to reverify my dxdiag, but still no beta invite. I'm also waiting on Age of Conan, Darkfall (ZOMG looks awesome), and Hellgate: London.

Sean of the Thread
06-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Conan looks sweet.

Alfster
06-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I've heard nothing good about Conan.

Warriorbird
06-11-2007, 04:54 AM
A gave a friend of mine my beta because I couldn't actually run it. It's pretty fun if you can...though a major third of it was unfinished last time I logged in.

-Conan (who Thor, who works for Funcom, apparently really thought deserved a Beta)

Anebriated
06-11-2007, 05:05 AM
I know a few people with beta, I probably could have gotten it had I held onto my old DAoC account. Im not getting my hopes up, Mythic seems to have some of the same issues that Simu has.

Makkah
06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I know a few people with beta, I probably could have gotten it had I held onto my old DAoC account. Im not getting my hopes up, Mythic seems to have some of the same issues that Simu has.

Ohh yea? Please explain, as I haven't really dealt with them much... only played DAOC for like 4 months.

Anebriated
06-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Basically when the game(DAoC) came out it was the best of its kind, PvP was the best among MMORPG's and the game was booming. Over time the lack of GM effort on basic tasks and overall big changes taking place in the game caused more people to leave than to stick around. I wouldnt be surprised to see the game look pretty good in the beginning. I think EA picked up all of Mythic's games so the financial backing is there. I guess ill just have to reserve my judgement until its finally released(which could be a whole different issue in itself, HJ anyone?)

Drinin
06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Mythic when DAoC came out. Mythic also ran several text based games, one of which I played. While DAoC was in development and after its release, we saw 0 back office support which lead to rampant staff corruption (it was staffed by volunteers, like GS) and the eventual closing of the game with no warning. It was kinda sad since right before the closing of the game we had a regime change when the current PM was finally removed after 2 years of the player's fighting for it.

But WAR looks like a ton of fun, so I guess I'll throw my Mythic hate in the garbage.

Danical
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty pumped to play. Used to play the tabletop game a bunch and I like the focus on PvP.

I'll probably play an ironbreaker first.

Tolwynn
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I'd be more concerned about EA's involvement than Mythic's. Aside from UO, they've pretty much destroyed every other MMO they've touched.

Anebriated
06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
I have to say, EA has done a great job with DAoC since they took over. DAoC was and still is on a steady decline like GS. EA stepped in and made a bunch of changes which as a more advanced player I disliked at first because it made the endgame almost too easy to achieve but overall it helped more of the casual players helping keep people around. The game is currently pretty well balanced(despite having 3 realms to most games 2) and easy enough to advance(and not all questing) that you dont feel like tearing your head off.

I personally feel DAoC is the best game for CvC in the market atm. If they had taken the time to improve the game slowly along the way instead of having a big change every so often it would be in a more competitive spot but they definately have the knowledge to create another MMORPG. Warhammer is supposed to be pretty acurate to the board game, the old time fans seem to be approving so sounds like they are doing a good job so far.

Blazing247
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
DAoC was released what, 2001 or 2002? It really isn't fair to compare it to any current generation MMORPG's. World of Warcraft is going to see a sharp decline in user base eventually because it doesn't have any longevity elements to it besides the grind, and that gets old quickly. The problem with WoW is that at endgame, you have 2 choices- PvP or PvE. PvP is horribly not fun, imbalanced, instanced, and now "arenafied", and PvE will not remain a constant draw. As we've seen from other games, you need a good sense of community (UO), crafting system (EQ), or solid PvP (DAoC) to remain in the game for extended periods of time, and WoW has none of these.

Celephais
06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
You thought EQ had a good crafting system? I think the only crafting system I have seen in a MMO I have liked is Vanguards... and theirs was pretty boring too. EQs just seemed to be more of a "options loot lottery" kind of thing... added a little flair to the whole quest turnin loot, but not much.

Unless you mean EQ2... theirs wasn't that great, but had some fun aspects, similar to vanguards.

Sean of the Thread
06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I liked when you could loot PC's in UO. Those were fun times.

Alfster
06-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Aren't you supposedly going to be able to in warhammer?

Makkah
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
No. You get random drops from PC corpses, but you don't actually take their shit.

Alfster
06-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Ahhhh, gotcha.

Tolwynn
06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
As lame as it was, Asheron's Call let you loot one item from other PCs bodies, whether you'd killed them or not. You could get some really nice drops that way.

Blazing247
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Darkfall Online will be the same way, total loot privileges. However, it isn't going to be an item based game, and they've stated that the best items in the game will be craftable so it won't be so crushing to be killed and looted as it's free-for-all PvP.

StrayRogue
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
No good, epic, or legendary loot makes the game sound shit.

Blazing247
06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
That's an opinion, I guess. Loot being equal makes skill the deciding factor. A game balanced around gear is a game balanced around a grind, since to make epic gear epic, you need to sacrifice x hours of time to get it more than good gear. I think if the game has enough to do elsewhere, then there is no need for the timesink that is the gear grind.

Sean of the Thread
06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
For the same reason I've always played PVP in any mmorpg possible is the same reason I like the idea of looting players. Myself included. I love the thrill of the risk.

Celephais
06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
For the same reason I've always played PVP in any mmorpg possible is the same reason I like the idea of looting players. Myself included. I love the thrill of the risk.

There was this MUD I played once that had regular PvP zones and then special PvP zones with "loot one item" rights. There were really really good exp zones that were PvP, and you risked people ganking you to hunt there, but the best loot and the best exp were in the loot right zones, the game was pretty small and people were pretty solidly jerks (you really had to form up tight nit groups if you wanted to group in the loot right zones, as it was just a free for all... not uncommon for someone to just turn on their hunting partners in those zones). That was awesome.

Sean of the Thread
06-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah that was a sweet era for UO on the same note. Basically gangs... clans.. wtf ever but it was fun as shit. The carebears cried enough to have it changed tho.

StrayRogue
06-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I remember the days of Jabberwocky running around naked on UO killing anyone he pleased. Good days.