PDA

View Full Version : Rant and Rave

Northbay
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
bare with me while I blow off some steam, as this has been brewing a few days.
However I need to know why is it that people EXPECT an empath to drop whatever it is they are doing and heal them. My empath had spelled gotten ready to go out the gate when player x approaches her and says I need healing, at which point her husband (the empaths) stated to x that they were on their way to hunt. Player X states, well I guess I will just stand here and bleed, I wanted to respond well enjoy, we'll call for a cleric now, but did not as was whisked off to hunt.
While we were on our way to the hunting location a ranger comes up to me and asks for a heal, (all majors) her husband give him leaf and off they go. Later that evening she is intown invisible, and hears ranting about her refusal to heal, that she should be thrown out of town for this.

I am so tired of people expecting and demanding healing. First of all every town has a bench with herbs and an NPC healer why is there an attitude of and empath MUST HEAL.
How many rouges drop what they are doing to open boxes, further more many rouges of late have untrained picking so that they can be better hunters (empaths can't really untrain healing without loosing access to some major spells)
How many mages stop what they are doing to spell someone up
How many ranger stop what they are doing to spell someone up
How many clerics stop hunting to go bless a weapon or come in for a raise (but must admit that clerics do tend to stop their hunt if they are needed to raise, especially if it is someone they know)
How many Paladins will come in from their hunt to purify a weapon
How many warriors will stop what they are doing to bash a box

Now on with the rave, not only will people expect you to drop what you are doing but when tipping (this is not a town in Rivers Rest) they will insult you. My empath rarely takes tips however she has of late, being as she has had to put her hunting on hold. This is the scenario.
Character x asks could you take a few wounds (two missing limbs a head wound a chest wound a back wound both arms, and both eyes, one missing) gives my empath a 500 silver tip. Now that is a slap in the face insult. Why do I say that, lets say they were no free herbs on the bench and they had to go to the herbalist to procure all the herbs they needed this is what it would cost.

a tincture of acantha 736 silver
a tincture of ambrominas 196
a tincture of ephlox 416
a tincture of cactacae 416
a tincture of calamia 895
a tincture of aloeas 895
a tincture of haphip 736
a tincture of basal 736
a tincture of pothinir 1376
a tincture of sovyn 2654 X 2
a tincture of bolmara 736
a tincture of rose-marrow 576
tincture of brostheras 1694
a tincture of talneo 1376
a tincture of wingstem 1694
a tincture of bur-clover 1376
a tincture of brostheras 1694
Total cost in silver 19545 and she got 500 silver
(cost based on citizen, higher if a non preferred race or non citizen)
Average hunt silvers for my empath during one hunt 40k
Time to heal down themselves down including scars 20 minutes, time for my empath to heal down, approximately 12 min plus mana and spells melting (I understand I get learning from this but no gems, skins, boxes or silver)

My empath is a hunter first healer second just as every other character in the game (granted there are empaths that only heal and do not hunt, and more power to them they can have all my heals)
Now that I have gotten this off my chest, please be respectful of empaths, we are not about to serve you, we are the same as every other player if we chose to heal great if we do not, please do not get an attitude with us, we are not on DEMAND healers. Please respect when we do not respond is anyone healing because were not if we were we would say so.

Now that am done with my rant would like to thank the few players that will whisper to my empath and ask are you on your way to hunt or would you have time to heal me, in most cases they will always get healed as they are courteous enough to ask
:club:

Fallen
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Get your Major spiritual CS up and Bind/Silence them should they become obnoxious.

Rysk
06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Next time someone demands a heal from you because they are bleeding to death... you should boneshatter them.

StrayRogue
06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
There was a lot of nobs on the dais just like this. Querthose sticks out in my mind as someone just like this.

Sean
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM
You can apply this argument to just about every class...

Empaths don't have to heal you, Clerics don't have to raise you, Rogues don't have to pick for you, Warriors don't have to assess for you, etc.

Fallen
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Yes. No one is obligated to do anything for you. If someone rudely demands a service, they are either a jerk, or are RPing one. Either way, do not feel obligated to help anyone. Unless you are in a CHE, or a PRO that has a mission statement that you should always try to help others (House Sovyn comes to mind), Fuck 'em.

Bobmuhthol
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
What a fucking retarded argument. How much does an airline ticket cost? If you didn't buy a ticket and didn't use someone else's airplane, you'd have to buy your own at millions in expenses, so it's a fucking slap in the face when you don't pay airlines millions every time you fly. What the fuck?

Tea & Strumpets
06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
I didn't like having to ask people every time I needed a heal, so I always carried every herb/potion for every wound/scar.

The funny thing is that more than once, an empath would tell me that I was rude for eating herbs in front of them...

Some Rogue
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I didn't like having to ask people every time I needed a heal, so I always carried every herb/potion for every wound/scar.

The funny thing is that more than once, an empath would tell me that I was rude for eating herbs in front of them...

LOL, yep, I was just telling CT the same thing....which just made me purposely find empaths to eat in front of.

CrystalTears
06-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm going to end up opening Pandora's Box with this, as I'm sure I'll get flamed, but whatever. I'm bored at work today.

However I need to know why is it that people EXPECT an empath to drop whatever it is they are doing and heal them.
While I don't believe anyone should have to do anything just because they're asked, I will say that you'll have to get used to being asked simply because empaths are the only class that can heal. I take offense to people who expect you to do something immediately at their request, as with people who roll up a certain class and then never expect to expend that service to anyone. I don't "get" it. Sorry.

I am so tired of people expecting and demanding healing. First of all every town has a bench with herbs and an NPC healer why is there an attitude of and empath MUST HEAL. If you're standing in the same area as the person who needs healing, and they don't want the scars and/or to eat herbs, why is it so absurd to ask the empath for healing?

How many rouges drop what they are doing to open boxes Lots of them do. I always did unless I was going on a hunt, and then I'd do it when I got back if they still needed someone.

How many mages stop what they are doing to spell someone up
How many ranger stop what they are doing to spell someone up Several.

How many clerics stop hunting to go bless a weapon or come in for a raise (but must admit that clerics do tend to stop their hunt if they are needed to raise, especially if it is someone they know) They can be as persnickity about the raising as empaths are lately about the healing.

How many Paladins will come in from their hunt to purify a weapon
How many warriors will stop what they are doing to bash a box Again, several will. Not everyone is with the ideal that "how dare someone ask me". If they can, they will. If they can't, they don't.

Character x asks could you take a few wounds (two missing limbs a head wound a chest wound a back wound both arms, and both eyes, one missing) gives my empath a 500 silver tip. Now that is a slap in the face insult. I don't even want to know what your rationale is. I'll say it now. You're an ass for believing this is a slap in the face, especially for someone who didn't care about tips previously. So with that, yeah, don't heal anyone if you're going to feel that any kind of generosity or tip for doing something you don't have to get off your ass to do and gives you experience is a slap in the face.

Now that I have gotten this off my chest, please be respectful of empaths Not your type, nope.

Please respect when we do not respond is anyone healing because were not if we were we would say so. Or God forbid say I'm not healing right now. Or leave the fucking healing area. Or toss them an herb. When you don't respond, in common sense land we call that being rude.

Tolwynn
06-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I hope you never ask for spells without compensating for the time and mana spent, potential loss of hunting income, etc.

You should also tip rogues the entire contents of any boxes they open for you since you couldn't have had the silvers otherwise, in addition to compensating for them time spent, etc.

I'm sure others can extend the argument further, if needed.

mgoddess
06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Please respect when we do not respond is anyone healing because were not if we were we would say so.Or God forbid say I'm not healing right now. Or leave the fucking healing area. Or toss them an herb.

:yeahthat:

Some Rogue
06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Haha, best line I've heard about this....

"Don't fucking sit in the hospital if the doctor doesn't want to fix people!"

Necromancer
06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Huh. Querthose was rude and demanding to an empath when he wanted healing? Seriously?

That's odd. He's always so nice to everyone else...

CrystalTears
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Haha, best line I've heard about this....

"Don't fucking sit in the hospital if the doctor doesn't want to fix people!"
Well shit, when the doctor is off duty, he goes HOME. He doesn't linger in the lobby in his white coat and tag and stare blankly at the bleeding people and scoff at them when they ask for a heal.

Orp
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I think some of you are missing the point of the post, empaths (being one) are demanded of and hounded to heal, does not matter if they are in a healing area or not, I have been approched while hunting with the statement "I do not feel like running back to town or feel like having scars will you heal me please"
As far as buying a planes, no I do not buy a plane if I need to get from point a to point be it is my choice if I want to, but if you want to live either get the herbs if an empath does not heal you or drop dead two easy choices

CrystalTears
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh no, I get it, and I'm fine with not wanting to do it when demanded like a jerk. I have issue when never wanting to do it.

Personally I don't see the big deal. You'll have to explain to me how difficult or intruding it is to heal someone in the field and then heal yourself before continuing. I did it a lot. For a completely bleeding, limbless person, yeah those sucked as they can be tough. It can potentially be risky since you'll fall over and be vulnerable if you take the missing leg.

But honestly, I don't get the refusal to help someone in need. I just don't. Why even be an empath? So that you can only heal yourself? So that you can hold that over someone that you have an ability that they don't and have to just suck it up and find a way to make it through? Seems pointless to me if all you wanna do is hunt. Be a mage or something.

Sean
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
If your empath is dead and people are hunting and don't stop to help you and instead continue hunting because it's what they'd rather do would you be annoyed? If they acknowledged you and told you straight up would it make a difference to you? If they LKed you to atleast hold you over until they were done would you feel a little better? etc.

Sean of the Thread
06-07-2007, 04:21 PM
If you don't want to heal you don't have to heal.. tell them to fuck off I'm not healing.. make haste to TSC or some shit.

Empaths make great solo hunters.. some people like that. I see no reason anyone would be FORCED to help any dumbass at anytime just because they are such and such class.

CrystalTears
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree that no one should be FORCED. However I want you to point out to me how you FORCE someone in the game to heal you. They can be asses about it and talk shit to you about it, and of course at that point you won't.

Then again I'm leery of what an empath considers "forced". Some feel that being begged because they're bleeding and dying as being forced. Some empaths are emo and dramatic about being "asked" to heal against their will, so I take the whole "forced" plea with a grain of salt.

Satira
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
People can bitch and moan all day about empaths not healing them when THEY WANT THEM TO. Insert retarded crying here.

Sometimes an empath is going to be in the same place as you and not want to heal you, for whatever the reason is. And they won't.

There's nothing you can do about it except engage in pointless whining.

Tolwynn
06-07-2007, 04:40 PM
All the OP needs to do is demand the non-insulting 20k tip before each healing, and they won't have to worry about anyone asking them anything for much longer.

On an aside, why is it that a lot of empaths cop this attitude whereas clerics generally won't? Clerics also have effort and time expended, and the loss of spirit to recover, etc. Plus if you decay, there's the xp and CON loss to deal with as well, perhaps they should factor that in when asking for their tips.

CrystalTears
06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah I would let it slide more with clerics because that's more engaging and time consuming and a total drain on the body and mana. But empaths? Pft. This "how dare you ask me to heal and on top of that only give 500 silver for a bruise" attitude is just nauseating to me.

Sean of the Thread
06-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I disagree.

Gan
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I only heal if I want to. And then if I know its someone who's repeatedly been a non-tipper to me, I dont heal them period.

Its a matter of choice. Those requesting healing can find the herbshop or the town healer easily enough.

Most times, its the thought that counts when tipping for my healing, especially if I"m in a newbie area. Now older farts better tip well or buy their own damn herbs, they've been around long enough to be responsible enough to take care of themselves in some way or another.

The only time when I do not even consider tips is with friends, with a hunting group, actively hunting and coming across someone getting goatse'd, or if I'm doing a rescue and dont feel like waiting around for the corpse to get raised. Otherwise have the courtesy to show some appreciation for me fixing up your beat up ass, or start grabbin herbs.

Flurbins
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
On an aside, why is it that a lot of empaths cop this attitude whereas clerics generally won't? Clerics also have effort and time expended, and the loss of spirit to recover, etc. Plus if you decay, there's the xp and CON loss to deal with as well, perhaps they should factor that in when asking for their tips.

As a cleric, whenever I raise someone, I generally get to chat with them awhile, it gets me over 1/2 the way to fried, and they are usually genuinely happy about the experience. As an empath, I usually see a nod, a tip, and they're outta there. There's a lot more interaction both ways with the cleric than the empath, and that probably makes the process more fun for everyone involved.

Shalla
06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
TITLE CLEAR EMPATH

The End.

Amber
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I've had an empath for about three years now. In all that time, she's only once been approached by someone who was actually demanding healing, and that was at TSC, so was sort of excusable as empaths sitting there are generally expected to be healing. I've no problem with someone asking for healing while I'm hunting her, unless it's in a situation where she's over her head already, in which case I'll heal and then sanct 'till she's healed herself down.

I do think empaths should be able to sit in TSC without healing, if they so desire. Sometimes I do just that while waiting for mana, but only when there are other empaths actively healing.

My thoughts on tipping are mixed. I've no problem with someone not tipping at all, but if someone does tip, they should tip a reasonable amount. There are insulting tips out there. I once healed someone and received four silvers in return. I'd rather not have had the tip at all. If it's a newer character, I don't mind receiving a tip under 100 silvers, but I feel anyone over ten trainings should tip at least that if they're going to tip at all. I wouldn't be at all offended by a 500 silver tip however. Granted, I've not healed in TSC for ages and ages, but if I recall correctly, 500 was pretty standard.

Gan
06-07-2007, 07:29 PM
My rogue tips 500 for minors and 1k to 2k in coins for majors depending on the number of majors I have on me at any given time. I used to tip gems, but those are saved now for other uses.

Ignot
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Empaths complain about people wanting to be healed and tell them to eat herbs. Then empaths complain when you eat herbs and don't ask for healing. Make up your minds.

And I agree with Shalla.

Sean of the Thread
06-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Xyelin always tipped whatever was in his pocket. Then again coins were never an issue and I'm loose with the money.

Orp
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
My title does not say empath, it's just that am not a newbie and am known as an empath, maybe will just untrain my empath spells, like rouges untrain picking, and they said fixskills were not needed
Bah

Shalla
06-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Do you honestly think that is the best course of action? If so, you're being irrational.

Why not politely say, "I'm sorry, I'm not healing today."

Orp
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I have, it is not being irrational at all, I have said not healing and have had people follow me about town and out hunting.
I have also had people ask me well if your an empath why arn't you healing, or tell me that it was rude of my not to heal, but the best one was it's your duty to heal

Orp
06-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Further more why is it irrational for an empath to untrain in healing, it is as rational as a rouge that untrained from picking

Flurbins
06-07-2007, 09:43 PM
no healing = no delicious bone shatter or 1130.

Ignot
06-07-2007, 09:43 PM
If your in a town that has very few healers then dont be upset if people harass you especially if your standing in TSC. If your just out hunting and people follow you around, well then that's just weird.

Sean of the Thread
06-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't be upset.. I'd tell them to fuck off and if they didn't get the hint after being polite I'd toss an arrow or a shatter their way.

Spoiled pricks.

Kyra
06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I've seen an older empath stalk down and kill a younger one when the younger said he wasn't healing. Same thing 'You have a duty to heal'.

Screw that, my empath heals who she wants, when she wants & if they're a pain in the ass they get ignored for the rest of whatever.

~K.

Shalla
06-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Further more why is it irrational for an empath to untrain in healing, it is as rational as a rouge that untrained from picking

You can do that if you wish. I think it's irrational that you would drastically change your character's training and lose the things that makes it special because of some people. There are other options. Ignoring them, Killing them etc. If they say it's your duty to heal them, argue that you do not answer to anybody but yourself and will heal those you choose, then turn away.

If they won't shut up.. Take advantage that they're weakend and put them out of their misery.

Rune
06-08-2007, 01:27 AM
I've always tipped 1k for any standard healing and 2k for more than 3 majors. Never had any complaints yet. Now that empaths can be very viable hunters, I think it is unreasonable to expect them to drop everything they're doing to heal whoever asks.

Drew
06-08-2007, 02:27 AM
I have, it is not being irrational at all, I have said not healing and have had people follow me about town and out hunting.

You have had people follow you out of town and to your hunting ground because you refused to heal them? I swear I don't play the same game as other people most of the time.

Shari
06-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Needypersonwhomyou'venevermetbefore whispers, "Hey, can you spell me up?"

You whisper, "Sure".

prep 910
You gesture with slow, silken movements as you begin an engaging chant for Major Shock.
Your spell is ready.

Misun
06-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Character x asks could you take a few wounds (two missing limbs a head wound a chest wound a back wound both arms, and both eyes, one missing) gives my empath a 500 silver tip. Now that is a slap in the face insult. Why do I say that, lets say they were no free herbs on the bench and they had to go to the herbalist to procure all the herbs they needed this is what it would cost.

:club:

Oh, I find that funny, since most of the empaths who I have run into don't even accept tips. What gets me is there was one who asked if I wanted some healing once and when I tipped her she complained about the amount. Interestingly enough, it was 500 silvers. It was all I had on me at the time. Want an appropriate tip? Put up a sign for services.

StrayRogue
06-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Heh. I had a list of people who I purposely didn't heal because they hadn't tipped me in the past.

Warriorbird
06-08-2007, 03:28 AM
If they kill you for not healing...get them in trouble.

Otherwise? Shrug it off.

Not a big deal. You have to hunt. You have no mana, you need to heal down, ladna, ladna.

Divinity
06-08-2007, 04:14 AM
.... in common sense land...

Did GemStone get an expansion I didn't know about? 0_o

Hehe, anyways..

This has been something empaths have squealed about for awhile. There are many things you can do to let others know you're not interested. It's not rude for people to ask an empath to heal them. If they persist, than they are annoying. People whine about things all the time in the game. Why brew over this for several days? In the end you're the only one that cares and carries it around. Do what CT mentioned. Don't hang around healing areas, or you could always type out a quick phrase such as.. "Sorry, I'm more of a hunter than a healer." Would probably get you a long way than a snide comment about bleeding to death and finding a cleric.

OR

You could always get a pin saying something like.. "This puffer has the right to refuse service to anyone."

(I would personally not do it, but you might benefit it by using the TAP verb.) :D

Believe me when I say this.. if you're going to roleplay a sensitive, bitchy empath.. you're going to get comments and rp of the same sort. I don't honestly know why you're surprised. :/

Satira
06-08-2007, 04:20 AM
I really appreciate when people tip me well. I think it's very polite of them. But Satira doesn't turn people down if they can't afford it. Even if they say up front they can't tip, I'll still help them out.

Everyone has their own character and agenda, though. You gotta do what you think works for the character.

Asha
06-08-2007, 04:33 AM
I made an empath and rogue especially not to do services for anyone. Just becouse I like how some fucks can't understand it.
Always ended up in a fight and them being murdered.

Kriztian
06-08-2007, 04:33 AM
This thread shall not be resolved here. It is older than Celtar. It is like the phoenix and has been going on since at least 1995 (probably earlier).

DIE!!

Miss X
06-08-2007, 08:04 AM
A lot of people refuse just to look for trouble. Ive played an empath for years and my empath is one of the more well known. Ive never had any of these problems. I hunt when I want to hunt, heal when I want to heal and no one gives me shit.

Also, untraining your healing spells would be dumb.

Sean of the Thread
06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
my empath is one of the more well known.

WINK WINK rrrwaaarrr. :blndwhip:

Nieninque
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Waaah...Waaah...I get really upset when someone in a computer games asks me for heals even though I play the only healing class in the game I am playing....waah waaah!

/wrists

Turn off the computer and step outside, IMO.

Asha
06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
x2
Just say no.

Gan
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
A lot of people refuse just to look for trouble. Ive played an empath for years and my empath is one of the more well known. Ive never had any of these problems. I hunt when I want to hunt, heal when I want to heal and no one gives me shit.

Also, untraining your healing spells would be dumb.

x2

WINK WINK rrrwaaarrr. :blndwhip:

x9342509237509238572-394572349082-059682-056982-05967243-987

Asha
06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Only halflings are allowed to find halflings attractive!! Stop it!

Drew
06-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Ive never had any of these problems.

Yes, but your character is a hug diverter. Hug Chica people, not Chivalrous!

TheEschaton
06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I love the new avatar, Drew. Ha.