PDA

View Full Version : Still a never-thought for some GMs.

That Jay
05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
On 3/29, a few days before the Dragonfly festival, I noticed that their was a published list of scheduled merchants. I went through the list and attempted to to see if GMs had again forgotten about Platinum by rolling up the names. Beradn, Cyllienne, Ipsy, Grizalla, and Taemesia had not been reserved even though the list was published. After each name was rolled up and masochistic curiousity satisfied, they were deleted (thinking that that freed up the names again).

On the LAST DAY of the month-long festival, Andraste went to roll up Taemesia and found that she could not. She was able to roll-up a character with one letter off but because she could not get the exact spelling she NEVER showed before the festival ended or after as that character. Go go Andraste!

(For my discovery that GMs were again incompetent I got a nice little prize. A 30 day lockout.)

To make the matter more ridiculous, I was told that the when the Mayor of FWI, Rhiska, attempted to roll up that character in Platinum, a player was advised that they could get in trouble for having taken that name until it was discovered that they had the name on their account for over a YEAR!

Is it really too much to ask for GMs to actually consider Platinum when they are creating characters and reserve the name in both instances? Or are their plates just too full already with Prime responsibilities to do so?

Caramia
05-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Is it really too much to hope that players, especially ones who are well into adulthood, could refrain from doing something stupid they know will only create problems and likely get them in trouble?

Why don't you come clean Jay, and tell the whole story... like how you also did that before to Sproink and another merchant almost two years ago. And what were you told then about doing so?

SpunGirl
05-31-2007, 03:50 PM
This reminds me of the day Dalboz's player spent a few hours rolling up names like Tigermeister, Andrastified, Illusionary, Krashed, Ildrained, etcetc. At least he wasn't a crybaby when they told him to cut it the fuck out.

-K

Caramia
05-31-2007, 03:50 PM
It's half-stories like this that give rise to the whole conspiracy theory people perpetuate about how GMs lock them out for a first offense or a silly reason.

Caramia
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Dalboz, as barely annoying as he can be, was at least being funny and not taking up any real names that could be used.

StrayRogue
05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Dalboz was a fucking cretin.

That Jay
05-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Why don't you come clean Jay, and tell the whole story... like how you also did that before to Sproink and another merchant almost two years ago. And what were you told then about doing so?

Yes, I rolled up Sproink and KEPT the character on that occasion in 2004 and was warned not to do so again. I was mistaken about the deletions freeing up a name. Stupid me. I thought that was a relic of GS3 as I could have sworn I rerolled a name in that method myself before but I was evidently mistaken in that belief. With 26 character names on an account in Platinum I have not had to delete many names for years.

So naughty Jay. Naughty Jay punished. Mea culpa.

Now address the stupidity of the GMs including the veteran one waiting until the LAST day of the festival to roll up her character and then throwing a hissy and refusing to come in to do any work for the other players even after she took the time to roll up a character with a name only one letter off that was seen logging in during the time she was scheduled to appear.

If I have a lack of maturity, then it would appear I am not the only one.

Asha
05-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Andraste is a cunt. Happy now?

Amaron
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Sigh ,is that why she never showed? I waited in her shop in plat forever and kept watching for her.

Sigh

J

AestheticDeath
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Thats pretty stupid. But they could fix it by improving the fucking mangler. I don't like having to create a new character through the website.

And they don't give you a chance to confirm the name anymore. If you try it and its available. Its yours. No extra chance to back out of it. If you had that chance, Jay could have 'tested' for whatever reason he was testing. And then not actually created the character.

But yes, I also find it incredibly stupid to have waited to the last day of the festival to create the character you are going to be using.

Try creating a name in both instances - then listing that name as your merchant. Or use different names in plat if you need to.

Drew
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
And they don't give you a chance to confirm the name anymore. If you try it and its available. Its yours. No extra chance to back out of it. If you had that chance, Jay could have 'tested' for whatever reason he was testing. And then not actually created the character.

I have a character in the LCI, you get a confirm chance there, so I use him to test out any names I want.

AestheticDeath
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah if you have something already made - and then check in to the Inn to reroll or something you could have that chance too. But you cannot get a brand new character to that point without going through the website, and the website doesnt offer a chance for confirmation. The SGE doesn't have the create a new character spot anymore.

That Jay
05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a character in the LCI, you get a confirm chance there, so I use him to test out any names I want.

Really? I still have one character sitting the LCI. I'll have to try that to see.

Thanks.

Caramia
05-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Sigh ,is that why she never showed? I waited in her shop in plat forever and kept watching for her.

Sigh

J

She brought in another one of her merchants and made an announcement that the other merchant was delayed for some reason or other.

I'd hardly call not rolling up a name in Plat immaturity, as compared to rolling up GM merchant names when you've already done so before, and were warned not to do so again.

That Jay
05-31-2007, 11:23 PM
I'd hardly call not rolling up a name in Plat immaturity, as compared to rolling up GM merchant names when you've already done so before, and were warned not to do so again.

Oh the not rolling up the name, I just call incompetence or willful neglect.

The not rolling up the name AND then the refusal to come in-game without the exact spelling to a scheduled event I call immaturity considering that a substitute was available (she even made one) and in light of the fact that the merchant had never previously appeared in Platinum so nobody cared what the spelling was anyway.

Consider also, that the first time I rolled up a name in Platinum was in 2004 and at the time Khaladon mentioned he would send a memo to GMs to make sure to roll up NPC names in both instances, doesn't that also point to the initial point of the thread? That Platinum is an afterthought and on occasion an NEVER-thought and is a problem that should be addressed. The fact that I was warned once before makes the error even more glaring. Some GMs did it in 2004 and now 3 years later some GMs are still doing it.

Yes, I was a baaaaaaad boy and now as a result of my lockout I am COMPLETELY REHABILITATED! Now, if only the same could be said for the GMs who keep making this mistake.

Fallen
05-31-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm all for keeping GMs on their toes, Jay, but this is going a bit far. Maybe once, but if you had already done it, I think it in rather poor taste. Just my opinion, though.

That Jay
06-01-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm all for keeping GMs on their toes, Jay, but this is going a bit far. Maybe once, but if you had already done it, I think it in rather poor taste. Just my opinion, though.

I agree.

All argument aside for a moment, I did not realize that deleting the names from the website did not free up the names. I plead ignorance or if you'd prefer stupidity. I thought I had found out something and erased all record of my passing. It was never my intent to deprive them of the names on this occasion. I did not realize they would not be able to roll up their names in this instance.

I know better now.

Asha
06-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Agreed with Fallen for the first time in history.
Although in Andrastes case honestly keep it up.

GSLadyGothique
06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Maybe they feel the Plat player base is so small and that they can trust you more than that.

If you (or anyone else) did this to me, and it was your second time I would have gone for more than a 30 day lockout.

Sean of the Thread
06-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Maybe they feel the Plat player base is so small and that they can trust you more than that.

If you (or anyone else) did this to me, and it was your second time I would have gone for more than a 30 day lockout.

Plat assholes are no different than prime assholes.

As far as you h adning out lockouts.. news flash you're not fucking Khaladon anymore and thus don't have a say in shit.

GSLadyGothique
06-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Well... I guess you told me!

I suppose you know everything and I am not allowed to give my opinion on anything.

And news flash, my personal life is none of your business. Thanks

That Jay
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM

If GMs did their jobs properly, then no one could "do it" to them.

What if someone had rolled up the name inadvertently without knowing that a GM intended to use it as a NPC name? Suppose they had played the character and achieved some levels as well as established some history with other players. Would or should they be forced to give up the name? Consider the other matter I already mentioned where the Mayor of FWI found the name already taken in Platinum for over a year. In that instance, I believe the player graciously relinquished control of the name but could he have been forced to if the name was created before the name was created as an NPC in Prime? And would that have been fair?

Simple solution. GMs should do their jobs properly and reserve an NPC in both instances on the same day they are created.

Why is that so hard to do?

GSLadyGothique
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
On the Deactivation page, https://www.play.net/gs4/play/delete_character.asp

"Both the first and last name of your deactivated character will be unavailable and you will not be able to use them again. You do have the option of deleting a character within the game (using the RETIRE command) which will allow you to reuse your character name."

"A deactivated character is removed from your list of characters and can not be played again. The character can be placed back onto your list of characters by the billing department if there is an unfilled character slot."

Sean of the Thread
06-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Well... I guess you told me!

I suppose you know everything and I am not allowed to give my opinion on anything.

And news flash, my personal life is none of your business. Thanks

Lol.

Your personal life is obviously my business since I know of it in the first place.

Dumb fuck.

GSLadyGothique
06-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Well considering I don't come here and post about it, no it is NONE of your concern. And aparently you don't know jack shit. Get your gossip right before you start spewing shit from your mouth :)

Have a nice day!

Sean of the Thread
06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Lol x2. You don't need to come here to post about it for me to know about it. Tough shit for you GS slut.

That Jay
06-01-2007, 05:23 PM
On the Deactivation page, https://www.play.net/gs4/play/delete_character.asp

That will teach me to read.

Now you try it.

How about you address the questions posed or will you continue to conveniently sidestep the GM malfeasance?

Sean of the Thread
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
She's not to bright to don't stress over it.

Jolena
06-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Simple solution. GMs should do their jobs properly and reserve an NPC in both instances on the same day they are created.

Why is that so hard to do?

It's not hard to do, and obviously they should have done so in this case, as well as anytime in the future they want to roll up a new NPC in both instances. However, that doesn't exactly exclude you from fault either, Jay, no matter how much you wish to take the focus off of you and put it onto the GM in question. You fucked up, not once but twice, and while you may not have known that the names would no longer be available after deletion, you were told not to roll up NPC names so you really have no excuse.

Bottom line: GM's should research NPC names and players shouldn't roll up NPC names just to 'see' or 'to be funny' or whatever lame reason you come up with when you have been warned before. The end.

GSLadyGothique
06-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Sean2. I dont know you, I have never spoken to you or to my knowledge responded before today to one of your posts. Fucking knock the personal attacks off.

Sean of the Thread
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Sean2. I dont know you, I have never spoken to you or to my knowledge responded before today to one of your posts. Fucking knock the personal attacks off.

Haha. Okay. Guess you told me.

Sean of the Thread
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
It's not hard to do, and obviously they should have done so in this case, as well as anytime in the future they want to roll up a new NPC in both instances. However, that doesn't exactly exclude you from fault either, Jay, no matter how much you wish to take the focus off of you and put it onto the GM in question. You fucked up, not once but twice, and while you may not have known that the names would no longer be available after deletion, you were told not to roll up NPC names so you really have no excuse.

Bottom line: GM's should research NPC names and players shouldn't roll up NPC names just to 'see' or 'to be funny' or whatever lame reason you come up with when you have been warned before. The end.

I completely agree with Jojo on this. Jay fucked up more than once. Your bottom line is spot on imo. Especially with a previous warning.

That Jay
06-01-2007, 05:40 PM
However, that doesn't exactly exclude you from fault either, Jay, no matter how much you wish to take the focus off of you and put it onto the GM in question. You fucked up, not once but twice, and while you may not have known that the names would no longer be available after deletion, you were told not to roll up NPC names so you really have no excuse.

If I was going to come somewhere for absolution, this would be the last place I would come. Please show me where I ever said I was blameless. I even said it was wrong to deprive them of the names and that I had erred in that regard. Seems like a confession to me.

Platinum has LONG had a history of neglect, ambivalence and outright antagonism from a number of GMs some of which even went so far as to be captured on SimuRadio at one Simucon. That second-class status and treatment rankles at times. That does not excuse in anyway my behaviour but I hardly call it lame checking to see if we were forgotten yet again.

Because guess what....WE WERE.

I merely provided all the details including my own complicity in the incident leading to my lockout before raising the question of competent GM conduct.

Jolena
06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
(For my discovery that GMs were again incompetent I got a nice little prize. A 30 day lockout.)

This particular statement right here comes across as someone who is complaining about the 'prize' they received in response to doing something they were previously told not to do. Hence, my statement in return.

As for what the GM's did or did not do for Platinum, I completely understand the frustration Jay, and have said that the GM in question should have rolled up the characters ahead of time. However, considering that she DID attempt to roll up the character on the last day of the festival (again per your original post, not an assumption on my part), it is obvious to me that she intended to bring in the merchant, even if it was not as early as many of the Platinum community would have liked.

Do I think that Platinum should receive equal amounts of merchant time as Prime does for a festival running in both instances? Absolutely. We (and yes I still pay for Platinum so I include myself in this comment as a paying customer) pay enough for the service that we should absolutely get the same if not more merchant time as Prime. However, I didn't take this to be the main focus of your post. I saw the post as addressing the issue of whether or not the GM's were at fault for not rolling up the NPC names ahead of time to secure them, and whether or not you should have recieved a 30 day lockout in response to doing something you knew not to do.

And finally, yes it is lame. There are ways to go about finding your information or addressing your concern that don't have to be done in direct disregard for the rules you have already been told to follow. :shrug:

That Jay
06-01-2007, 06:05 PM
However, I didn't take this to be the main focus of your post. I saw the post as addressing the issue of whether or not the GM's were at fault for not rolling up the NPC names ahead of time to secure them, and whether or not you should have recieved a 30 day lockout in response to doing something you knew not to do.

And finally, yes it is lame. There are ways to go about finding your information or addressing your concern that don't have to be done in direct disregard for the rules you have already been told to follow. :shrug:

We will have to agree to disagree then. You say lame, I say lame'.

That was not intended to be the focus of the post. I should have simply posted facts without commentary. I could have just posted that GMs were found not to have rolled up NPCs in Platinum yet again but if I had not included my own conduct I am quite sure I would have been quickly taken to task for hidden bias.

Since you say there are ways, how exactly would someone go about finding out whether GMs have forgotten to reserve NPC names again in Platinum barring simply asking.

...after all we know how forward they are with information particularly if it puts any of staff in a bad light.

Jolena
06-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't exactly know *why* you would care if they reserved NPC names aside from finding out if they were going to bring in those merchants to Plat. And if that was the purpose of doing such a thing, I would think that asking on the boards if they plan to bring in the merchants, and then if they do not after the festival is over, raising hell would be the best way. I mean really, what difference did it make for you to roll up the names to prove that they hadn't intended to bring in Plat merchants, versus just waiting until after the festival and bitching when they didn't bring them in? As it is, you just looked foolish because A) Andraste attempted to bring in her merchant on the last day, meaning she didn't 'forget' about Platinum and B) you directly went against something you were told not to do and got a lockout for it.

As I said, there are ways, then there are 'ways' and you chose poorly in my opinion.

Also, I should clarify that when I said Platinum should receive equal if not more attention from merchants as Prime does for the same festival, I meant that in proportional values, as Plat's population on average of 50 hardly requires 100 merchant events.

That Jay
06-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't exactly know *why* you would care if they reserved NPC names aside from finding out if they were going to bring in those merchants to Plat.

Why? Its referred to by the name of the thread.

It exposes a symptom of the problem. That Platinum is neglected and forgotten. Not only in the past but in the present.

Consider.

Andraste's one merchant was not the only NPC not rolled up when the list of NPCs was published. I found FIVE names; Beradn, Cyllienne, Ipsy, Grizalla, and Taemesia. I only know that Taemesia was Andraste's because of what Khaladon told me in the consultation lounge. Now, logically that implicated at least one other GM who also did not reserve a published NPC name if not more. For Andraste only discovered the problem with her merchant's name on the last day (during which billing was closed and she could not have them restore the name until they opened on Monday). If she had discovered a problem with other NPCs of hers earlier in the festival than it stands to reason, if she is not totally incompetent (which I do not believe), that she would have checked all her other NPC names at that time. Ergo more than one GM did not reserve their Platinum names when they provided the names to be published before the festival. Consider also that they had to reserve the names in Prime prior to publication to ensure that the names were available. So it was at that time that failed to check Platinum as well.

Do you like to be ignored and not know it or ignored and be aware that you are being ignored so that you can actually do something about it?

BTW, if anyone knows who controls any of the other NPCs listed above, that information would be appreciated.

SpunGirl
06-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I can think of a lot more stupid, irritating, and imcompetent things GMs have done than OMG THEY DIDN'T ROLL UP THEIR NPC, I TESTED IT SEE HAHAHAHA. Maybe from now on they WILL roll up the NPC in both instances to stop this from happening in the future. CONGRATULATIONS TO JAY, YOU HAVE MADE GEMSTONE A BETTER PLACE TO BE.

-K

That Jay
06-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Heh.

Do you have my correct address for when you send the medal?

SpunGirl
06-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I have to find the right material to craft it out of first... I was thinking of +35 Gold of Righteous Indignation.

-K

That Jay
06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
As long as its gold lame'.

Ignot
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
GS drama is so funny.

Caramia
06-01-2007, 09:32 PM
If GMs did their jobs properly, then no one could "do it" to them.

Too bad that also doesn't apply to some (now ex-)Game Hosts.

Caramia
06-01-2007, 09:35 PM
...However, that doesn't exactly exclude you from fault either, Jay, no matter how much you wish to take the focus off of you and put it onto the GM in question.

That's GMs plural. There were about half a dozen names rolled up by Jay when he was "testing" them against the announced merchant list.

That Jay
06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
That's GMs plural. There were about half a dozen names rolled up by Jay when he was "testing" them against the announced merchant list.

So a bunch screwed up. Thanks for confirming that.

Sean
06-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Caramia sure is taking this personally...

That Jay
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Yep, I noticed that. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Parkbandit
06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Caramia sure is taking this personally...

It's not a secret that Andraste = Caramia... is it?

SpunGirl
06-01-2007, 11:38 PM
As long as its gold lame'.

I'm sure that'll be totally hot.

-K