PDA

View Full Version : Bump crazy

Celephais
05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
It seems Anticor is no longer that active, he was last on 5/5/2007, but I haven't seen any posts by him in some time. Seeing as how he's the Merchant Market admin, could we get one of the active admins put on Merchant Market (either in addition or take over, I don't care).

I have half a mind to "free bump" all the threads at the bottom of the folder to bury the people who manually bump before the 24 hour bump rule (I know at one point it was a "rule", and I don't feel like reading through the actual rules to find it). It's one thing if someone doesn't know, but some people (*ahem*) are pretty blatent...

I also think poor GS4-D's thread got heavily derailed (um... :wasntme: heh)

Sean
05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd also like to suggest that if someone is running a thread with their items in it that they should keep their items to that thread instead of making multiple threads to flood the forum.

Celephais
05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I'd also like to suggest that if someone is running a thread with their items in it that they should keep their items to that thread instead of making multiple threads to flood the forum.

I agree, I was about to make a post stating something like the first three or four pages can safely be assumed to be active, and realized there were a few "solds" on that page that really have no easy way to determine if they're sold.

Is here any easy/automated way to create a folder and if the OP edits their initial post to start with "Sold" then the thread gets moved to a subfolder? (possibly letting them edit it again to "unsold" it). That'd be cool, but probably wishful thinking.

CrystalTears
05-21-2007, 03:28 PM
It's a nice idea to have sold thread items be moved to a subfolder, it would just be a time intensive job for the mod involved. Once moved, the only way to reinstate it were to be to have the mod move it back. It would be a bit of a chore.

Perhaps encourage people to use the post icons. Like the little note looking one for new and existing sales, and then be changed to the thumb's up icon when sold.

I'm not sure what to do about the bumps though. Some people don't listen to the whole only bump once every 24 hours and just insist that it be the top item on the list.

The Ponzzz
05-21-2007, 04:08 PM
:ban:

Celephais
05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
It's a nice idea to have sold thread items be moved to a subfolder, it would just be a time intensive job for the mod involved. Once moved, the only way to reinstate it were to be to have the mod move it back. It would be a bit of a chore.

That's why I was wondering if there was a way to automate it, way too much of a pain to do it manually

Perhaps encourage people to use the post icons. Like the little note looking one for new and existing sales, and then be changed to the thumb's up icon when sold.

I like this idea... but like my original idea, hard to get people to follow through with it....

I'm not sure what to do about the bumps though. Some people don't listen to the whole only bump once every 24 hours and just insist that it be the top item on the list.

That's why I'm asking that an active mod be placed on the folder, I think locking their threads would be a pretty good way to keep people from being selfish about the first page (with warnings/temp board lockout to people who try to circumvent that by re-posting). Only so many threads can fit on the first page, no reason one individual's should be self-stickied.

I don't mind updates/discussion/additions, it's just the single word "bump" that's obnoxious (particuarly "bump/delete post") when done so frequently. When I see a thread on the "new post" page, I expect to be able to read someone's drivel, not the word "bump".

El Burro
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM
bump

crazymage
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
fuckers who would bump like that!!!!!!!

Gan
05-21-2007, 05:45 PM
It seems Anticor is no longer that active, he was last on 5/5/2007, but I haven't seen any posts by him in some time. Seeing as how he's the Merchant Market admin, could we get one of the active admins put on Merchant Market (either in addition or take over, I don't care).

I have half a mind to "free bump" all the threads at the bottom of the folder to bury the people who manually bump before the 24 hour bump rule (I know at one point it was a "rule", and I don't feel like reading through the actual rules to find it). It's one thing if someone doesn't know, but some people (*ahem*) are pretty blatent...

I also think poor GS4-D's thread got heavily derailed (um... :wasntme: heh)
We had a 24 hour bump rule???
:wtf:

/agreed

I also agree that we need to update our mod list or Anticor needs to unass RL and stop back by for a visit. ;)

How about making a requirement that to be a mod of a Gemstone folder, you have to be actively playing Gemstone??? Experience is great, but how current can you realistically expect one to be if they arent a subscriber to the game???

Celephais
05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
We had a 24 hour bump rule???
:wtf:

I didn't make it up... I remember someone more official than me telling someone to cut the useless bumps down to at most once every 24 hours, because they were bumping there thread as soon as it fell off the first post (I want to say it was Anticor but I'm not sure of that at all). It was in my "formative" GSPC time, so it stuck in my head as being an official kind of "rule" (not in the faq or anything, but stated by a mod).

If it's not a rule, consider this a proposal for it, and a request for some mod to be on that folder.

Skeeter
05-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I'll mod it. Anyone pisses me off and their sales get magically hidden.

Celephais
05-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll mod it. Anyone pisses me off and their sales get magically hidden.

Make sure you watch out for people bumping and then deleting their post... so it magically looks like it just appeared at the top (same goes for reposting what they had last said and deleting that post). ... can you see deleted posts in a topic?

Edit: oh, and thank you :)

The Ponzzz
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
SKEEEEET MOTHER FUGGIN' SKEEEEEEEEEET!

AestheticDeath
05-21-2007, 10:34 PM

AestheticDeath
05-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Anything you edit once its already started wont change on the outside. Otherwise I would do it. Plenty of times I would like to change the title of my thread to include a "New item" type tag or something.

Would love to be able to change the title, or even the icon thats listed in the menu. But everything you change only changes IN the post.

As far as the frequent bumps.. or the delete/bump I tend to do, I don't see much of a problem with it.

I haven't noticed frequent bumps within a 24 hour period, but maybe I don't pay as much attention to it as some.

AestheticDeath
05-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Read the boards once a day, and you won't notice how often something is bumped....

Celephais
05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Read the boards once a day, and you won't notice how often something is bumped....

I didn't want to make this about someone, but Tsin has bumped that fucking self mana 912 thread four or five times in the past 24 hours, and he just deletes the bump posts so it doesn't look obvious. It's unfair to other merchants in the folder to have his perma-stickied to the top, that and it would be nice to not see "New Posts" that have nothing new in them.

Once a day bumps, updates, bid updates, info about the item, all well and good... there is just a reason that non-mods can't just stickie a thread.

Sean of the Thread
05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Seriously.. why really give a shit?

Celephais
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Seriously.. why really give a shit?

Something to complain about.

Skeeter
05-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Make sure you watch out for people bumping and then deleting their post... so it magically looks like it just appeared at the top (same goes for reposting what they had last said and deleting that post). ... can you see deleted posts in a topic?

Edit: oh, and thank you :)

I'll just delete the whole post.

The Ponzzz
05-22-2007, 12:06 AM
FROM THE WINDOW.....TO THE FLOOR!

TheEschaton
05-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Someone should make me a mod.

CrystalTears
05-22-2007, 07:25 AM
LOL! Skeeter isn't even a mod. Your thanks are a bit premature.

CrystalTears
05-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Anything you edit once its already started wont change on the outside. Otherwise I would do it. Plenty of times I would like to change the title of my thread to include a "New item" type tag or something.

Would love to be able to change the title, or even the icon thats listed in the menu. But everything you change only changes IN the post.
That's not true. If you go to edit, then go advanced, you can change anything from the original post, including post icon and title.

Celephais
05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
That's not true. If you go to edit, then go advanced, you can change anything from the original post, including post icon and title.

But, as you can see, that has no reflection on the representation of the thread in the folder views, only within the thread (I added an icon and changed the title of the first post, the change isn't showing up in folder views/new posts)

CrystalTears
05-22-2007, 09:07 AM
That's interesting.

These boards are fucking weird.

Tea & Strumpets
05-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Bumped for justice!

Gan
05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Yea, if I remember right. You have to be a mod to be able to change the actual thread title. Post titles can be edited by each respective owner.

Being able to alter the thread title would be a handy ability in the merchant market folder.

Asha
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Anticor was good people but I do feel someone currently subscribed to GS and who frequents these boards should take over moderating this folder.
Maybe someone with excellent knowledge of the market AND good eye for ToS, although that might be a tall order.

AD should do it.
I would have said Kitsun if he'd not dissapeared too.

Fallen
05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Kitsun would get my vote as well. Perhaps Tolwyn, if he were up to the task.

Skeeter
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
LOL! Skeeter isn't even a mod. Your thanks are a bit premature.

Way to expose me Deepthroat

CrystalTears
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
You not doing shit in the folder would have spoken for itself eventually. :tongue:

Celephais
05-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Impeach Skeet!

Kitsun
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
AD should do it.
I would have said Kitsun if he'd not dissapeared too.

I DISAPPEARED?!?! *weeps* No one has even tried to find me yet!

Seriously though, you're nuts! I wouldn't even vote for myself!

The Ponzzz
05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
SWEAT DRIP DOWN MY BALLS!!

SKEET SKEET!!!!

The Ponzzz
05-27-2007, 11:59 PM
We seriously do need someone to moderate the marketplace on a daily basis.

People are bumping every 3-5 hours.

Kranar
05-28-2007, 12:19 AM
A new moderator for that forum would be appropriate, if anyone is interested.

Skeeter
05-28-2007, 12:56 AM
hook me up. I'm A+ mod material

Alfster
05-28-2007, 01:12 AM
<--- is your man

(lol)

Jolena
05-28-2007, 01:51 AM
I'd offer to do it, but I don't think people would enjoy my style of moderation. Though I enjoy a good Tsin bashing just like the next person here, I would eliminate all of that stuff from the thread unless it was about the item specifically. :(

The Ponzzz
05-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I would be ok for it, but I'd honestly delete all his(Tsin's) posts. :(

Sean of the Thread
05-28-2007, 01:02 PM
<---ME. I'm obviously the best candidate so look no further.

Ignot
05-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I'd offer to do it, but I don't think people would enjoy my style of moderation. Though I enjoy a good Tsin bashing just like the next person here, I would eliminate all of that stuff from the thread unless it was about the item specifically. :(

Yeah, some of the funniest posts have come from a Tsin thread. I prefer to keep those but Im sure most people get annoyed when they stray to far from topic.

The Ponzzz
05-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Personally I don't care about the off topic-ness in the threads, it's just the BUMP after 2 hours of posting the original and the bumping every 5-10 hours after.

Also, I don't mine when it's UPDATED either. An update post is fine and needed most the time.

Celephais
05-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Personally I don't care about the off topic-ness in the threads, it's just the BUMP after 2 hours of posting the original and the bumping every 5-10 hours after.

Also, I don't mine when it's UPDATED either. An update post is fine and needed most the time.

Yeah, that's my take on it. Pretty much if you're "off topic" but it's actually a topic I don't care... if you're just playing with your own cock in a thread I dislike it. If others don't want to play with your cock, you'll have to live with the blueballs and shut up.

Edit: oh, and I nominate me, in that I am the only one actively attempting to enforce the 24 hour bump rule anyway.

Sean of the Thread
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Did I win the moderator position yet or what?

Celephais
06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
A new moderator for that forum would be appropriate, if anyone is interested.

Bump

Edit: I'm interested in the mechanics and wizard folders too...

Kranar
06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
It's safe to assume you still play?

Alfster
06-09-2007, 08:35 PM
<---ME. I'm obviously the best candidate so look no further.

Fuck you, i'm a better one!

Gnomad
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Bumping (lol) to suggest:

How about a maximum number of threads per person too? Like, say, one?

(As in one active one at a time, especially if you're not taking public bids anyway.)

AestheticDeath
07-10-2007, 07:43 PM
uh no

Sean of the Thread
07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
You fucking people need to quit crying ... are people merchanting really fucking up your "PC experience"? If so get the fuck out.