PDA

View Full Version : Google Craziness.

Kranar
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
So I just arrived at Google yesterday and let me just say... this place is nuts. As such I figure it only appropriate to compile an entire list of crazy things I come across on this campus and report them here (if it isn't confidential information).

Getting to Google is great, I arrived at what is called The Googleplex via a limo-bus with nice leather chairs, tables with cup holders and wireless internet available. Of course there's no need to feel guilty as the limos run off of a hybrid bio-diesel engine and they're also working on getting these solar powered as well (30-40% of the Googleplex now runs on solar-power too). Once you get there, there's the usual craziness, for example people riding scooters or Segways all over the place and for reasons that are quite obvious this place is full of tourists, most of which are Asian and love to take pictures of everything they see here.

There's free food at over 12 really nice restaurants all over campus. I so far ate at a place that specializes in sushi, one place has all sorts of exotic food and fruit juices that they can mix in anyway you want them to. I heard there's also Indian and Thai restaurants, I'll have to check them out sometime.

You also have these swimming pools that are called "The Endless Pools" basically they are mini pools but they generate a current that goes opposite to the direction you're swimming in so that you can swim in them in the same direction for as long as you please. They also have a similar rock climbing mechanism so that you can climb a wall endlessly even though you'll never be more than 5-6 meters off of the ground.

There's a skeleton of a T-Rex that sits outside as well, and recently some pink flamingo statues have invaded the T-Rex's territory. From what I've been told the first week the pink flamingoes had a party there, the second week they were found being devoured by the T-Rex in his mouth and his claws, the third week they apparantly managed to fight back, the fourth week they were all in a heap behind the T-Rex, and well now they seem to have made peace as all of them are wearing sun glasses and shorts amicably.

Many of the conference rooms here are also very cool. Of course the conference rooms are portable... you just pick up a conference room suitcase, find an open area somewhere and then take out the conference room tent and then let it inflate. Once it's setup, the conference room is actually sound proof when the doors are closed.

But definitely one of the craziest and most adventurous aspects of being here for me personally has been experiencing this crazy super toilet that I thought only existed in Japan. Let me say I was very hesitant to use it but curiosity got the best of me... if you haven't heard or seen these things, they are really high tech toilets with many additional features built into them like the ability to both wash you and then dry you after you're done your business... you have the option to have it massage but I was not so brave enough to do that nor do I have any clue what that would even particularly do.

Yeah, this is going to be pretty fun and crazy. I underestimated this place thinking it was just a small or medium company located in one or two buildings... this place has grown considerably in the past two years and at this rate I can only imagine what it will be like two years from now.

fallenSaint
05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Sounds friggin cool. Paper last week said Google was opening a place not 15 minutes down the road from me was rather good news hope they have some crazy antics like that one.

Hulkein
05-09-2007, 10:23 PM
That's awesome Kranar, congrats on the job.

Where is the headquarters located?

Martaigne
05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
But definitely one of the craziest and most adventurous aspects of being here for me personally has been experiencing this crazy super toilet that I thought only existed in Japan. Let me say I was very hesitant to use it but curiosity got the best of me... if you haven't heard or seen these things, they are really high tech toilets with many additional features built into them like the ability to both wash you and then dry you after you're done your business... you have the option to have it massage but I was not so brave enough to do that nor do I have any clue what that would even particularly do.

Toto! Best toilets ever!

Sounds like a grand place to work, I'm rather jealous. :D

Skeeter
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
sounds like that sci-fi show Eureka

Stretch
05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Sweet.

I'm insanely jealous that you don't have to deal with Sodexho or Aramark as a campus vendor.

Kranar
05-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Where is the headquarters located?

The Googleplex itself is in Mountain View, which is right in between San Francisco and San Jose. Living expenses around here are rediculous so I'm just hanging out at the San Jose State University campus for now.

There's about 12,000 employees now, half of them are at the Googleplex and the other half are scattered elsewhere.

Toto! Best toilets ever!

Hahaha, yes Toto was the name on the toilet's control panel (man that sounds weird).

Back
05-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Reminds me of the Saturn owner commercials...

“Hi, I’m owner number 24,890!”

Kidding aside, it sounds incredible. Good job, Kranar.

J.P
05-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Goggle is the best place to work in America right now, there are about 40 thousand job open for Goggle yearly and about 2 mil applications. Fortune 500 rank it the top in Worker satisfaction and also on a side note. If you wish to buy a hybrid car and you are a Goggle employee. They will give you 5-7k flat to help you buy that car. They also have a massage wing, and a medical wing for there employee free of charge. Think Chocolate Factory and mordernize it 100x + 1000000 cool points and you have Google. I'm trying to get my friend to hook me up to work there now.

TheEschaton
05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
You might want to try being able to spell the company name correctly first.

Sean of the Thread
05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
:lol:

Hulkein
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
If you wish to buy a hybrid car and you are a Goggle employee. They will give you 5-7k flat to help you buy that car.

I would drive a Hummer with a leaky gas line to work if I was one of their employees. See how they like them apples.

Xaerve
05-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I toured there in November for their global strategy group. I ended up going with a consulting firm in Boston instead, but man was that place nice--I just couldn't leave the North East.

Be sure to hit up the free Naked Juice machine near the main lobby. :) Congrats!

Stanley Burrell
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
WTF?! My Toto doesn't include the hands-free ass cleansing or the little robotic arm that feeds you fried chicken all day and gives you a little fez and cigar, plus a daily newspaper.

I will say though, that it is a damn good toirlert and that you're very lucky to be working for a company like Google with toilet savvy towards a company like Toto -- Like, if they installed these at all the trucker baños, I wouldn't have to clog them 90% of the time with my pre-emptive splash reduction initiative.

Hope things keep on looking up (or down, depending on plumbing incentives) for you. Sounds really cool :)

Gan
05-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Sounds like a sweet place to work.

Congrats Kranar.

Sean of the Thread
05-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I posted a recruitment video of their complex here a couple years ago.. look it up if you want to be bathed in jealousy over Kranar's new score.