PDA

View Full Version : Best Gift?

JustMe
11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Okay a friend of mine asked me a couple days ago what the best gift I ever recieved was and it got me curious. I'll post mine later but for now, anyone want to tell me? What is the one gift that made you go "Wow" or have that big cheesy grin on your face?

Chadj
11-20-2003, 04:56 PM
my birthday present from my gf this year!Damn that was good... lmfao, joking. I think mine would have to be the mp3 player i got on my b-day a few months back. I wanted it for so long, but couldnt afford it cause i recently quit my job and it was expensive as hell.. damn, i love that thing:-D

Hips
11-20-2003, 04:58 PM
The Christmas before we started dating, Greg bought me a tiny little heart-shaped wooden musicbox. It plays "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera. I brought it with me to college and it sits right next to my bed... I listen to it almost every night before I go to sleep.

Phantom is by far my favorite play... I've seen it easily 6-7 times on Broadway, and once while in London. I know all the songs by heart, and the end ALWAYS makes me cry.

However... he didn't know any of this at the time he gave it to me... :)

Ansherak
11-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanksgiving 1990, In University and starving.....

Thanksgiving Dinner was consisting of Rice cakes and honey, I went to the local grocery store to pick it up, was a small store not one of those big Megastores.

I got to the checkout and the girl jokingly said....Quite the extravagent Thanksgiving dinner! She obviously thought it was odds and ends I was picking up.

I smiled and said yep, then proceeded to pay for it with nickels and dimes I had scrounged from every concievable corner of my accomodations, she was mortified! *chuckle*

She excused herself, (the store was virtually empty and close to closing) and when she returned, she had a couple bags full of food that she insisted I take home, including some packaged turkey!

I was so broke and homesick, the gift of kindness went far beyond *anything* she put into those bags.

I was never ever able to repay her kindness that day, but I can assure you that if our paths were to ever cross again, I would.

So come holiday seasons, I do tend to give a little on the heavy side, in hopes that I can contribute to someone elses having a bright spot in a sometimes not so shiny moment....

well.....that was pretty damn sappy...

D-

Wezas
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Two I can think of. My dad made me a mini-bike when I was 10 or so. He used a lawnmower engine and painted it orange with a blue seat (just like my brother's dirtbike). Loved that thing, but I crashed it one day and never got back on.

My grandparents got me a suzuki moped (kickstart instead of pedalstart) and I drove it every weekend I visited them. Lot of dirt jumps in the sticks of Maryland. I think it's actually still down at my dad's house, wonder if it'll still run.

Ladyteeoncy
11-20-2003, 05:55 PM
A kiss.

HarmNone
11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Ansherak, that was a wonderful tale of Christmas giving and receiving. Thank you so much for sharing it. :)

For me, the nicest gift I ever received I got last Christmas. It was a potholder, knitted by a dying person for whom my organization was providing hospice services.

HarmNone

Ladyteeoncy
11-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Everything is so sad...

Caiylania
11-20-2003, 06:00 PM
My Mom gave me a beautiful porcelain gift box that had "Always my daughter, now too my friend" written on the inside in gold. I cherish it.

Soulpieced
11-20-2003, 06:01 PM
I believe it was sophomore year, my parents got me an ESQ watch. I was amazed and it was awesome.

ESQ for life.

Ansherak
11-20-2003, 06:03 PM
For me, the nicest gift I ever received I got last Christmas. It was a potholder, knitted by a dying person for whom my organization was providing hospice services.

HarmNone

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing how most of the real gifts we receive and cherish, remember, are the gifts of the least monetary value.

I used to volunteer at the old folks home when I was in University, taking them for walks or running around doing errands when need be.

They would always try and pay me for my time, which I always found incredible, compassion has no price, or does it? We live in a pretty jaded world.

D-

Weedmage Princess
11-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Best Christmas present ever was from my husband...my son ;)

Ansherak
11-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
Best Christmas present ever was from my husband...my son ;)

Ohhh thats to easy!

D-

Adhara
11-20-2003, 06:21 PM
I think for me it would be the kitty we adopted two months ago.

She wasn't a gift per se; it was no surprise but the result of lengthy debating sessions between my boyfriend and me. I have always been a dog person (but don't have any right now) and wasn't interested in getting a cat at all. It took him hours and hours to convince me. All I agreed to in the end was to do a one month trial. Well the little fur ball has won my heart. She's the most cuddly kitten I've ever seen.

I thank my boyfriend almost everyday for convincing me to get her. She brings more laughter and joy to our days in the snowy, dreary wastelands of Newfoundland and we do need as much of that as we can get!

Ansherak
11-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Must.......not.........tell.......Newfie........jo ke!

*kiddin*

And yea, I hated cats, always a dog person, I have two cats now, real love hate relation thing goin on!

*chuckle*

D-