PDA

View Full Version : Judge orders shoplifters to wear 'I am a thief' signs

Gan
05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
ATTALLA, Alabama (AP) -- Shoppers entering the Wal-Mart Supercenter here got a reminder not to try anything funny: Two shoplifters stood outside with signs reading, "I am a thief; I stole from Wal-Mart."

Attalla City Judge Kenneth Robertson Jr. ordered the two people to wear the signs for four hours each during two successive Saturdays.

"The only comments we've heard so far have been positive," said store manager Neil Hawkins. "Most of them thought it was a good thing."

One of the shoplifters, Lisa King Fithian, 46, wore the sign from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to avoid a 60-day jail sentence. Another convicted shoplifter was at the store from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Fithian maintained her innocence. She said her conviction was based on a misunderstanding: She said she was taking a $7 item to the service desk because it would not scan.

Outside the store, she said people who saw her wearing the sandwich board commented that the punishment was "cruel."

Hawkins noted how embarrassing it would be for the public to see someone who got caught shoplifting.

"Maybe they'll think twice about doing it," he said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press (http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP). All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/07/shoplifter.sign.ap/index.html

:clap:

I think its a great alternative to jailtime.

Ignot
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
can we throw fruit at them?

Sean of the Thread
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
:clap:

I think its a great alternative to jailtime.

Alternative? I say jail the fuckers.. make their work program standing in front with the signs. Then slap them with 100+ hours of community service with their probation upon release.

I hope they're wearing orange jumpsuits whilst wearing the signs as well.

Artha
05-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm not a big fan of theft, but it's hard to hate on someone stealing from Walmart.

Sean of the Thread
05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of theft, but it's hard to hate on someone stealing from Walmart.

I'm sure your comment was in jest.

Latrinsorm
05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Walmart is literally the devil.

This further reinforces the impression that the South is really out to lunch.

Sean of the Thread
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
So you condone stealing as well?

Stanley Burrell
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
This is definitely not the first time this has been done by any stretch of imagination.

Ignot
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
yeah, who does Walmart think they are? target!?

Artha
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm sure your comment was in jest.

Theft's not cool, but fuck Walmart.

(I can't believe they fired me :(.)

Gan
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Walmart is literally the devil.

This further reinforces the impression that the South is really out to lunch.

Yes, because we all know that no one steals in the North...

:banghead:

Latrinsorm
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
So you condone stealing as well?A purposefully ignorant trolling comment from Sean2??? NOW I'VE SEEN EVERYTHING.
Yes, because we all know that no one steals in the North...I certainly wasn't talking about a judge decreeing unusual punishment. OF COURSE I was talking about the stealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gan
05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I certainly wasn't talking about a judge decreeing unusual punishment. OF COURSE I was talking about the stealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course! We all know that mass hug sentences work best in the North and West. In the south we still have chain gangs and the prisoners still call the guards massah and boss. "Dont mess with Texas". ;)

Sean of the Thread
05-08-2007, 08:42 AM
A purposefully ignorant trolling comment from Sean2??? NOW I'VE SEEN EVERYTHING.I certainly wasn't talking about a judge decreeing unusual punishment. OF COURSE I was talking about the stealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That makes two people that thought you were referring to the stealing.

Sean of the Thread
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
In the south we still have chain gangs and the prisoners still call the guards massah and boss. "Dont mess with Texas". ;)

" Florida became the third state to use chain gangs in 1995, following the lead of Alabama and Arizona,"

Our current Governor is nicknamed "Chain Gang Charlie" FTW.

Gan
05-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I wish we has them here in Texas. The only thing in my post that was actually fecitious was the 'massah' comment. ;)

Latrinsorm
05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
So worrying about the Constitution is equivalent with endorsing mass hugs now? And here I worried that partisanship made people irrational.

Gan
05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Rational is a matter of perception. ;)

Sean of the Thread
05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
What's wrong with mass hugs as long as it's not after a bukkake session?

Gan
05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
And I didnt know that 'the south being out to lunch', or that 'wallmart is the devil' was a constitutional issue... please elaborate?

Latrinsorm
05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Walmart literally being the devil isn't a blue or green issue, it's a RED ISSUE. THE DEVIL IS RED OK DO I HAVE TO DRAW YOU A PICTURE.

The South being out to lunch refers to a judge (a judge, now) ordering questionable punishment vis a vis certain Amendments.

Gan
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
If he violated 'certain' amendments, then I'm sure the convicted will win on appeal.

PS. Former Judge Ted Poe (now US Congressman) here in Houston gave out lots of interesting sentences such as this for criminals convicted in his courtroom. Havent seen one of his overturned yet. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Poe

THE DEVIL IS RED OK DO I HAVE TO DRAW YOU A PICTURE.

Source?

:whistle: