PDA

View Full Version : my mom

Amber
05-06-2007, 03:23 AM
About two years ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had the tumor removed, and after undergoing almost a year of chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy, was thought to be cancer-free. This past week, she discovered it had returned and spread to her lung and the bones of her chest. She's going to have chemotherapy again, but her dr. says that all it will do will be slow down the progression; it's too far advanced for a cure. She's not expected to live more than a year.

I feel so overwhelmingly bereft. I guess I had always thought there would be more time. We were going to go to Australia in a couple years together, as she's always wanted to go, but now it's not going to happen. She always wanted a huge front porch with a porch swing. She just had the porch finished and was comissioning a swing, but now she's selling her house instead. A damned porch swing is such a little thing to want all your life and never get to have. Life is so unfair. I'd give anything if I could only go back and give her her porch swing years ago.

I keep picturing her, sitting alone and being scared and in pain. I'm 1800 miles away and telephone calls just don't quite cut it. I'm in the midst of making arrangements to move back home to be with her, but I feel so guilty for not being there now. I know I'm heartbroken and in agony and she's got to be feeling so much worse.

To top it all off, my uncle died of a heart attack the end of March and his wife, who'd been in hospice care for ages, died the day of his funeral. My mom's been so depressed over their passing, busy with funeral planning and trying to get my uncle's estate settled, and now this on top of everything else. It's just not fair. She deserves a break!

I look back at my life and all the times I took my mom for granted. I wish I could redo so many things. The times I was late getting her a present, the teenage backtalk, not realizing she was a person, not just a mother, with dreams, hopes, and needs of her own.

That's all. Just wanted a place to vent.

StrayRogue
05-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Mere words can never do such things justice.

I'm truly sorry for your Mother.

Be strong.

Revon1
05-06-2007, 03:43 AM
I could never imagine how it is to be in your position.Things like this should remind us to cherish everything we have in life. I am very sorry to hear about your mother and family but, if all else fails, you can always pray. Doesnt hurt.

Satira
05-06-2007, 03:53 AM
The only advice I can give you is to spend as much time as you can with her and do as many good things as you for her.

Harli
05-08-2007, 01:38 AM
I feel for you, we found out my dad has cancer a couple months ago and they cant cure it either. He has about 2 months left and its killing me. Spend all the time you can with her, even if its on the phone talking about old times. Unfortunatly there is nothing anyone can say to make this better, i wish i could.

Caiylania
05-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Take her to Australia. If she has a year see if you can help make that happen. Contact make a wish foundation (do they help adults?)

I lost my mom right after my daughter was born- no one can prepare you accept to say the cliche cherish what time you have. I am sure she is so glad to have a daughter that wants to be there for her.

Harli- same for you and your father. At least they have family there for them. I only hope you two have people there for you when they are gone.

Ilvane
05-08-2007, 06:58 AM
I agree. Spend as much time as possible with them before they are gone.:( I thankfully was able to be around when my dad was sick, and got as much time in before he passed as I could.

I agree with the Australlia thing too, I'd be more than willing to donate myself if you get a little fund going someplace.

Take care,

Angela

Beguiler
05-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I lost my mother last year within a week of her diagnosis with a brain tumor. I wish I'd had time, so many regrets.

Amber, Harli, I'll keep you, your mother and father, and all your loved ones in my prayers. Cherish each moment, and soak up as many happy memories as you can.

Harli
05-09-2007, 05:33 AM
I agree. Spend as much time as possible with them before they are gone.:( I thankfully was able to be around when my dad was sick, and got as much time in before he passed as I could.

I agree with the Australlia thing too, I'd be more than willing to donate myself if you get a little fund going someplace.

Take care,

Angela

I second that, being a full time student and mom i dont have much but i would be willing to donate some. Even if you cant take the trip maybe you could visit and spend the day at a spa or a wonderful dinner.

Apotheosis
05-09-2007, 08:30 PM
My mom is going through the same thing. She beat breast cancer twice, and just this past week, they found a small tumor again.

Not sure where things are going to go....

Sweets
05-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't post on here much anymore, just an old fossil that pops up now and again but I had to come in and say a few words for Amber, Harli and Apotheosis. I lost my mother 4 years ago to cancer. When she was first diagnosed, they found a tumor in her lung and two in her brain. The didn't have much hope for her and she was given 6 months tops. I was living in Vancouver at the time (she was back home in Nova Scotia) and I made the decision to move back to be with her. It was the best decision I ever made. I was lucky and she fought for 4 more years until the removal of one of her lungs weaken her too much. I have 4 more years with her when she was only given 6 months. It was wonderful. We didn't go anywhere special, we just hung out alot. That is the best advice to give. Everyone has the right idea. Take your Mom to Australia if you can Amber, but if not, just be with her. Tell them everything you need to say. How much you love them, appreciate them and cherish them. Get as gooey and mushy as you can. Help them fight, hold their hands when they are down. Be their rock.

So, I blathered on enough. I won't sugar coat it, alot of people around here know the pain that you will be through but loving them while they are with you gives you a bit of comfort. If you need to vent, this is a wonderful place to do that. I did it enough. I am lighting a candle for all of you.