PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Okay, i've been getting slowly more and more out of shape since high school, and i'm trying to come up with an exercise plan to start out slow and build my way up. I'm trying to focus mainly on cardio for the time being.

Now I read a few exercise plans online and they all say "Do it 6 days a week, and then walk on the 7th day". But i've always been taught work one day, rest the next to let your body recover. Or is this just for lifting?

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions for a good exercise plan and a good way to eat during this would be appreciated.

JustMe
11-20-2003, 02:07 PM
That is for lifting so you don't tear your muscles. If you're doing light cardio work, it wont hurt to do it more than one day in a row.

Edited to add more details. You'd be better off eating small meals with carbohydrates in them, they will help you keep your energy while trying to build your stamina back up. NOTE: I said small, don't go order a huge lasagna and have spaghetti on the side. ;)

Stair running was one of my favorites as I was trying to build my stamina back up. If you didn't want to run, walking up/down them also helped.

[Edited on 11-20-2003 by JustMe]

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Well, i'm hoping to start at light work, and then make my way up as fast as my body will allow so I can get back into a steady trend of running 2-3 miles a day.

I'm also trying to make speed a factor, but not at first. I want to be able to do 2 miles in under 13 minutes consistently.

Should I be eating carbs for energy? I mean, I know that's good for my time, but it's bad for weight loss. I'm trying to balance this out. Heh.

JustMe
11-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Carbs wont make you gain weight unless you eat an excessive amount of them. I edited my post above to explain more.

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Hmm. Well I guess I don't have to change my diet then. I do a quarter pound of spaghetti a day, which equals out to be something like 80 grams of carbs.

And it's funny you mentioned stair climbing, because due to the rain yesterday and the roads being flooded, I was stuck not running, so I did stairs for a while. It's really a better workout than running itself is. I'm going to have to do it more often.

Having a 3 floor apartment finally pays off! Thanks. Heh

JustMe
11-20-2003, 02:21 PM
The weather was nasty here too and it's sunny today, was thinking about getting a tan. Stairs are a good idea, just pace yourself and becareful. Falling down a flght of stairs isn't fun. I speak from a drunken expierence.

Edaarin
11-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Jump rope.

And 2 miles under 13 minutes is a pretty lofty goal if you haven't worked out since high school.

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Jump rope.

And 2 miles under 13 minutes is a pretty lofty goal if you haven't worked out since high school.

Well, i've worked out. Just not regularly.

and it's only been 2 years.

So i'm hoping I can get back to what I used to be able to do soon.

Soulpieced
11-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Jump rope does wonders for vertical. I want to get back into it.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Hmm, tips...

Start running a set distance every day. It doesnt matter if the world is going to end or if your on death's door, never skip a run.

Once you get stronger, or after a set amount of time (like every week), slowly increase the distance.

If you start to get too sore to stay motivated, start taking some I.B Profin or something similar to work through the pain.

Stretch before you run. No, not the doctor recommended 30 minutes or whatever. Just take 2 minutes or so to stretch your legs. It will make the runs that much easier and avoid injuries.

Listen to music. It helps a ton to stay motivated.

Last piece of advice (Though I know some people are going to kill me) Look into caffiene pills. I personally have been taking them for a long time and I just wouldnt have the energy to work out if I didnt. If taken correctly they will reduce your apetite and give you the extra energy to get out there and work out.
I suggest taking one when you first get up, one during lunch, and one around 2-3PM so you can get to sleep.

Never take one before you work out. Either take it right after a workout, or workout 2-4 hours after you take one. Drink lots of water.

11-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Stretching afterwards is more important than stretching before.

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Heh. I would try out the caffeine pills..but I was sort of addicted to the stuff in the past.(Ever drink bawls? Try five cases in two weeks). and I know the fuckin' headaches I get when I have it and then stop having it again. So I don't touch the stuff anymore.

JustMe
11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Caffiene pills aren't bad. I use to eat the chewable no-doze when I was in HS and my first year of college. Recently the only thing I've been taking is metabolife although at one point in my life I was taking centrum vitamins every day. Vitamin C pills are good too.

And yes, drink lots of water it helps reduce cramps and dehydration. If you wake up with cramps during the night (as a lot of people do after heavy exercising) drink pickle juice or eat something with sodium.

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
What i've been trying to do is do a set two miles for now, regardless of how fast I do it. I started with walking 3 minutes, jogging 1, and repeating until I had done the two miles. I'm at walk for 2 jog for 2 at this point, and once I can flat out do a run for the entire two miles I don't want to increase the distance. I'm thinking that I'll be able to work up to that in about a month, if everything goes as planned. I usually stretch before but I rarely stretch afterwards. I'm going to have to start doing that. Thanks for all your input, guys.

EDIT to respond to JustMe: Yeah, I haven't had much trouble with Dehydration or anything because all I drink is water. I get a good 10-12 glasses a day.

[Edited on 11-20-2003 by Neff]

Moist Happenings
11-20-2003, 03:34 PM
My latest trick, actually is to only keep enough food in my house to sustain my basic needs for life. So if I want to eat anything else, I have to jog to the store two miles down the road to get it. Heh

Drew2
11-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Neff
My latest trick, actually is to only keep enough food in my house to sustain my basic needs for life. So if I want to eat anything else, I have to jog to the store two miles down the road to get it. Heh

I do something much like that now that I bring any and all food into my house. I don't buy things l ike chips, cookies, junk, etc.

The only things I buy are like canned vegetables, potatoes, pasta, canned meals (Chef Boyardi), sandwich stuf, etc.

I found it's an extremely good way to cut all that junk out of your diet and maintain a good weight without much effort (or time to put forth that effort).

Dighn Darkbeam
11-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Stretching afterwards is more important than stretching before.

I usually stretch before but I rarely stretch afterwards. I'm going to have to start doing that. Thanks for all your input, guys. >>

Ranger is right. I hardly ever stretch after a run, however. That is probably why I am an inflexeble bastard. After a run I usually just go some where and lie down until I have enough energy to shower.

What i've been trying to do is do a set two miles for now, regardless of how fast I do it. I started with walking 3 minutes, jogging 1, and repeating until I had done the two miles. I'm at walk for 2 jog for 2 at this point, and once I can flat out do a run for the entire two miles I don't want to increase the distance. >>>

That should work alright. To be able to run a full two miles I suggest running longer than 2 miles maybe once a week, possibly on a saturday. Its easier to run farther than two miles if your not on a track. Try finding a nifty route through your neighborehood and run around 3 miles once a week or so, you should notice the difference soon enough.

JustMe
11-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Running on a track is definately the most boring place to run. At my old house I use to run to the Lake near me which was half a mile away and then run around the lake, which was probably 7-8 miles around before running back home. It was gorgeous too, half of it was surrounded by a woodsy type area.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Running on a track is definately the most boring place to run. >>

Without a doubt, but I have to run 2 miles for a PT test on the track, so I run it every day. Im also always in a PT uniform so no headphones either. I think of the crushing boredom as motivation to run as fast as I can go do something else.