PDA

View Full Version : Talking about real food

Xcalibur
06-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Tomorrow it's our national holiday, so tonight there'll be that damn rocking party, on the "plaine d'abraham", where the damn french lost against the damn english to create our so unique culture (hehehe).

I was thinking, what was the best food to describe us...

ta dam!
poutine tabarnak!

You're not a real man|woman until you ate a great poutine

French fries (or freedom if you're into it)
brown sauce (spicy if you're hot)
and small bits of white salty cheese (you know, those around 2 centimeters (1") round.

Some fools, including me, add stuff in it, my favorite is with steak, mushroom, sliced tomato, sliced celery, etc etc.

We have a saying here, mange une poutine par semaine et t'es sur d'avoir de la bedaine (eat one poutine per week and you'll sure have a belly)..

Red Devil
06-23-2003, 11:05 PM
McDonalds has the absolute BEST cheeseburger EVAR. PERIOD

Black Jesus
06-23-2003, 11:11 PM
it's not better than unlevened bread and horse radish

Xcalibur
06-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Red Devil
McDonalds has the absolute BEST cheeseburger EVAR. PERIOD

micro-waved bread with cheap sauce under those small wanna be meat, nah

try our 100% fat meal, if not, go eat sub-way, at least it's not that bad for heatlh

Tsa`ah
06-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Black Jesus
it's not better than unlevened bread and horse radish

Matzos are good with a bit of garlic.

I prefer a good couscous with fresh baked challah. Not during the passover of course.

I'm not familiar with poutine (sp?). What exactly is it?

Bestatte
06-24-2003, 07:24 AM
He already told you what it is in the first post <g>

It's french fries, gravy, and cheese curds all mixed into one dish. It's a culinary curiosity native to Quebec province, that has variations available throughout the world. Italians make a spagetti sauce with cheese curds, there's also "cheese fries" popular in the States, and the mishmosh was invented by a guy named Fernand Lachance back in 1957.

Poutine is pronounced "pooh-teen" by the way.

Xcalibur
06-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Bestatte

It's french fries, gravy, and cheese curds all mixed into one dish. It's a culinary curiosity native to Quebec province, that has variations available throughout the world. Italians make a spagetti sauce with cheese curds, there's also "cheese fries" popular in the States, and the mishmosh was invented by a guy named Fernand Lachance back in 1957.

how you know that?
tried it?
where you ate it?

Red Devil
06-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Xcalibur

how you know that?
tried it?
where you ate it?

she thinks she knows awl, but she dont!! ii can proof!

Tsa`ah
06-27-2003, 10:08 PM

My bad, I thought he was describing side dishes.

I may have to try it my next trip to Ontario, providing Ontario is a good place to get it.

[Edited on 6-28-2003 by Tsa`ah]

Bestatte
06-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Well Ontario isn't exactly Quebec, but they probably have one variety or another of it too.

As for how I knew what it was, I lived in Contre Couer for a summer (that's around an hour north of Montreal, near Trois Riviers). I found out about the Lechance guy by doing a google search.

Xcalibur
06-28-2003, 09:04 AM
Best poutine is Ashton restaurants, only in québec city. It's really good..

Funny statistic, it says a poutine is around 60 grammes of fat, and a woman should eat around 60 grammes of fat per day... conclusion?
hehe

contre Couer? Contre-Coeur?
Never heard of that place still..

Bestatte
06-28-2003, 04:29 PM
I never could spell it right...in english it translates to "against the heart."

It's right near Sorrel, across from Rivier St. John I think..or one of the three rivers, in any case.

It's a very small town, almost a village, and it has a few open fields for some kind of crop (it was out of season and they were burning the fields so I never learned what they grew), a bunch of cows, a bit of the Canadian Steel industry developments, and a little shopping square.

Oh and the people I was with told me you could tell who's rich and who's poor because the poor folks live in wood houses and the rich ones have brick. And yet even the wood houses were pretty and well-constructed.

Xcalibur
06-28-2003, 05:29 PM
way you describe it, it's indeed very village-like, even in Gaspésie (the right big spot near the Atlantic, north of new castle and such) is more civililazed..

yeah against the hurt as you said is Contre-Coeur