PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Mr. War Griffin

Askip
04-24-2007, 01:55 PM
After two deaths yesterday, the RNG finally did me a favor. The area with the seer was swarming in all directions, I just knew I was going to attract attention:

[Old Ta'Faendryl, Market Road]
You notice an Ithzir seer, a greater construct, a curved silvery blade and a heavy star-flanged mace.
Obvious paths: east, southeast, south
>pre 415
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Strike...
Your spell is ready.
>cast at see
>
A greater construct swings its arms together in an attempt to trap you! Encircled by the two massive arms, you are unable to

slip out and are crushed between them.
... 40 points of damage!
Blow to your leg severs your Achilles tendon and the rest of the leg!
You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled right leg!
You are stunned for 10 rounds!
>
An Ithzir initiate strides in, her hands clasped before her.
>
A war griffin soars in.
>
You are still stunned.
>
An Ithzir seer closes his eyes and bows his head slightly.
>
A war griffin dives down and hooks its claws into you! With a great flap of its wings the war griffin carries you into the

air!

Within moments you find yourself soaring over the ground far below!

>
You feel the magic of your spell depart.
>

The griffin quickly swoops down and releases you several feet above the ground, and you flail awkwardly before landing with a

dull **THUD**!

... 20 points of damage!
Good blow to your chest!
Roundtime: 8 sec.
[Old Ta'Faendryl, West Market]
You notice a war griffin (flying).
Obvious paths: east, northwest
>
An Ithzir scout fades into view while striking!
An Ithzir scout swings a gleaming steel broadsword at you!
AS: +412 vs DS: +572 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +94 = -31
A clean miss.
>
An Ithzir scout fades into view while striking!
An Ithzir scout thrusts with a gleaming crystal-tipped fork at you!
AS: +414 vs DS: +562 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +48 = -71
A clean miss.
>st
...wait 4 seconds.
>
An Ithzir scout swings a gleaming steel broadsword at you!
AS: +412 vs DS: +586 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +4 = -135
A clean miss.
>
A war griffin swoops down from high overhead!
A war griffin tries to bite you!
AS: +450 vs DS: +541 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +37 = -20
A clean miss.
>st
...wait 1 seconds.
>
[Roll result: 122 (open d100: 73)]
An Ithzir scout spins quickly behind you and delivers a well placed kick!
You feel humiliated and enraged!
>st
You are still stunned.
>
An Ithzir scout throws a gleaming steel broadsword at you!
AS: +412 vs DS: +418 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +99 = +128
A layer of shifting stone absorbs 8 points of damage!
... and hits for 3 points of damage!
Quick slash to your upper right arm!
Just a nick
The steel broadsword flies past you, disappearing into the local environs.
>
A war griffin rakes at you with a razor-sharp claw!
AS: +470 vs DS: +436 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +18 = +89
A clean miss.
A war griffin rakes at you with a razor-sharp claw!
AS: +470 vs DS: +436 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +10 = +81
A clean miss.
>
You calm down slightly, catching your breath.
>
An Ithzir scout thrusts with a gleaming crystal-tipped fork at you!
AS: +414 vs DS: +436 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +44 = +51
A clean miss.
>stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
>st
You stand back up.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>
An Ithzir scout swings a closed fist at you!
At the last moment, you parry the blow with your runestaff!
>
A war griffin tries to bite you!
AS: +450 vs DS: +623 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +2 = -137
A clean miss.
>e
...wait 1 seconds.
>e
[Old Ta'Faendryl, Market Road]
You notice a twisted crystal-tipped staff, a polished steel shield, a spiral-hafted handaxe, a twisted crystal-tipped staff,

a twisted crystal-tipped staff, a twisted crystal-tipped staff and a twisted crystal-tipped staff.
Obvious paths: north, east, south, west
>

....and he lived to tell the tale. The griffin 10 and 18 on it's mstrike was a joy to behold, the skinny delf only has 134hp.

:D

Fallen
04-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Not hunting with haste constantly up, Askip?

Asha
04-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Someone else who sets DES off. I think it's easier to see the situation.
Also, I think when I hunted scouts, wearing shinguards saved me a lot when it came to their rogue maneuvers.

Trouble
04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Someone else who sets DES off. I think it's easier to see the situation.
Also, I think when I hunted scouts, wearing shinguards saved me a lot when it came to their rogue maneuvers.

I used leg, arm, and neck guards when hunting in OTF, even while already wearing brig. It made a noticeable difference, but that was over a year ago so things may have changed since then.

Askip
04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I was on the run, Haste dropped in the previous room.

I detest the spell failure of addons to my fulls, even in the above example I had to make a choice of run from a swarm or recast haste first. A hindered cast that caused death would have me smashing a keyboard.

Askip
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
<< Someone else who sets DES off. I think it's easier to see the situation.
>>

You betcha. Desc On is fine for strolling, on a hunt it can be a headache.

Asha
04-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Armguards and shinguards don't add to hinderance. They are excellent for resisting slash or puncture attacks (caster, you don't want those especially) and they do not allow that evil kick in the cock when you need to be in defensive and not stuck in offensive.
Give em a go. They're like 50 - 500k in many playershops and I promise you no hinderance to your casting.
You'll be kissin em after most hunts.

Fallen
04-24-2007, 03:23 PM
They do increase your hindrance by bumping you up to the AsG of the armor into which you move. Wearing light leather and a helm bumps you up to Doubles.

Light + Arm = Curb
Light + Leg = Studded
Light + Helm = Doubles
Light + Arm + Leg + Helm = Doubles

Same reason why I am not trying to buy those horns that let you cast Nature's Fury from Neimanz

LBP + Helm = BRIG HINDRANCE

Askip
04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
<< Armguards and shinguards don't add to hinderance. >>

These are new(ish)? All I knew of were the armory issue that acted as greaves and increased your AsG. How do you tell the difference?

Thanks. :D

TheEschaton
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
If you wear brig, and add greaves, shin guards, it doesn't bump it up, but adds to your physical weight hindrance (as every item does).

-TheE-

Fallen
04-24-2007, 03:46 PM
If you are already in Doubles, Brig, Full plate, ect, then all you are doing is adding to weight. If you are in partial armor, and slap on an accessory (Unless it is just fluff) in an area where your armor does not cover, you are going to raise your Hindrance. I am 100% sure of that, as I was wearing LBP and Vambraces for a long time, and had Cuirb hindrance. I needed to train up to Cuirb in armor use to get it back down to Cuirb base.

Asha
04-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Ahh I wore doubles.
Get in doubles then wear add ons lol

Askip
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
There was a lot of other luck in that flurry. The scout broadsword was not a flarer, I was not dropped on my neck, etc.

A milestone of sorts besides the narrow escape I hit 10m exp that hunt, nice way to add that eighth digit.

Fallen
04-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Ahh I wore doubles.
Get in doubles then wear add ons lol >>

The lighter armor blows. Plus, I am now in my dream armor - 4x MCP Cuirb

Asha
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
5x would have been better. Loser.

Trouble
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Like I said it was over a year ago, but I did lots of testing (I was very skeptical myself) and was immune to the throat chop thing and the knee bash (or whatever it was) when I was wearing Brig + greaves or aventail, but not when just wearing brig. I forget if it worked with other Ithzir skills though. This would have been in early 2005, so again, things may have changed.

Fallen
04-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Actually, I think they changed this.

Atlanteax
04-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Actually, I think they changed this.

At least, it was intended to be changed so add-ons were not necessary like that.

StrayRogue
04-25-2007, 02:02 AM
If you are already in Doubles, Brig, Full plate, ect, then all you are doing is adding to weight. If you are in partial armor, and slap on an accessory (Unless it is just fluff) in an area where your armor does not cover, you are going to raise your Hindrance. I am 100% sure of that, as I was wearing LBP and Vambraces for a long time, and had Cuirb hindrance. I needed to train up to Cuirb in armor use to get it back down to Cuirb base.

Ah you silly silly pures.

Of course adding greaves/accessories adds hindrance. It bumps up your armour to the appropriate AsG.

TheEschaton
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
But if you're at the top of your armor class already, add-ons don't bump up your class. Which is why all pures should shoot to wear doubles.

-TheE-

Fallen
04-25-2007, 10:44 AM
But if you're at the top of your armor class already, add-ons don't bump up your class. Which is why all pures should shoot to wear doubles.

-TheE- >>

Bullshit. I will take the DFs of rigid leather armor over soft leather any day of the week. A lot of pures can manage up to Brig. Sorcerers can do studded without TOO much difficulty. Some people just can't handle hindrance. Wizards and bards have nasty hindrance, though.

TheEschaton
04-25-2007, 11:07 AM
My cleric does brig. But he also mainly hunts with 302 which has an 8 mana cap.

I doubt a sorc would appreciate the 7-8% failure on a 20 mana spell like implosion.

-TheE-

vontez
04-25-2007, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Some people just can't handle hindrance. Wizards and bards have nasty hindrance, though.[/QUOTE]

Bards? I wear AsG 15. Also, bard spellsongs are unique, because if they fail, you get no cast RT, and no mana wasted. bards ftw

Fallen
04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Bards? I wear AsG 15. Also, bard spellsongs are unique, because if they fail, you get no cast RT, and no mana wasted. bards ftw >>

Ah. I wasn't aware of that.

----
My cleric does brig. But he also mainly hunts with 302 which has an 8 mana cap.

I doubt a sorc would appreciate the 7-8% failure on a 20 mana spell like implosion.

-TheE- >>

It doesn't bother me. If it looks to be a scenario of landing a cast or getting killed, it is time to retreat. I've never died because of hindrance. I have been saved by thick armor, and this padding is awesome. I took a 6 round stun from a Construct bounce, but I think I must have maxed out the randomization. Haven't died since I upgraded. I will miss the elemental protection, though. However, if I am in a scenario where things are casting boil earth, I will likely switch back to my other set.

Fallen
04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
What armor are you wearing, Askip?

Askip
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Askip wears plain 9x full leathers.

I thought about adding HCP but from what I have read, padding fulls is a waste of premium points or silver. I suffer few deaths as it is.