PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo for my Ranger

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I am looking to get a tattoo for my ranger. I want something like ivy that starts at the hairline and runs down the length of both arms.

Initial ideas are:

The ivy appears to have taken root along the hairling and creaps down and wraps around both arms to end at his finger tips. The exquisite craftsmanship of the artist show amazing detail of each vain on every leaf.

I know, it needs work, so I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Here is what he is currently wearing:

You see XXXX the Survivalist.
He appears to be an Elf.
He appears to be in the prime of life and very tall. He has brooding blue-grey eyes and tanned skin. He has shoulder length, wavy golden blonde hair tied into a loose ponytail with a simple leather hair-tie. He has a straight nose and broad shoulders.
He is in good shape.
He is wearing a silver-tipped feather stickpin, a velveteen beryl green ribbon, a vine-tooled green leather carryall, an antique silver bow case, a velvet-edged dark green backpack, a loose-laced billowy shirt, a wiregrass bracelet, an engraved silver armband, a pair of ivy-tooled suede gloves, a fine green spinel ring, a forest green ivy-entwined quiver, an old ivy-embroidered pouch, a pair of faded tan leather trousers, and some silk-lined deer skin boots.

Asha
04-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Specify which parts of the face, neck or whatever the pattern runs down, change 'Show' to 'Shows', and another few small mistakes and it'd already look ok.
Also there's lots of kinds of vines in Elanith, so maybe choose one that's got some character instead of general ivy.

Nieninque
04-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Spell check it.

Artha
04-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Vain should be vein. Spell check won't catch it, but Artha will.

Nieninque
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Kind of overdoing the ivy theme a little.

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Agreed about the ivy thing. I will tone it down a bit, and not use ivy itself in the description. looking through the flora guids now. Will post another draft prior to purchase. Thanks for the help. (Oh, doing it in MS Word first for spelling, and of course will post so Artha can spell check as well :D)

Asha
04-06-2007, 05:18 PM
You can take any flora or vine especially, and have it tattood in any way you like. You can add thorns, flowers or colours not usual to thier actual description. It's a tattoo, so long as you don't mess with the initial name, or make something up off your head like ''Death-hate vines'' and you ust tweak it to make it more personal, it's absolutely acceptable.
There's lots of words you can use like Encircling, Stretching, Creeping, Sinuous and Writhing (maybe, might seem animated) you can use to change their shapes and 'behaviour'.

Lot's of fun. Tattoos were easily the finest part of alteration in my view.
If you have a good GM sort you out you might even get away with not using the word tattoo.
Maybe something like a sillhouette, mark/ings or pattern.

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 05:45 PM
How does this look?

The Loganberry vine appears to have taken root along the hairline behind his ears and back of his neck. The vine trails down and wraps around both arms to end at his fingertips. The exquisite craftsmanship of the artist shows amazing detail of each vein on every deep green leaf and the delicate spines along the cane.

Asha
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
The Loganberry vine appears to have taken root along the hairline behind his ears and the back of his neck. The vine trails down, wrapping around both arms to end at his fingertips. The exquisite craftsmanship of the artist shows exceptionaly detailed veins on every deep green leaf. The delicate spines along the cane and the deep purple fruit, which look ready to be picked and eaten.

I changed it to be less suggestive to the person who's looking at it.
To be anal I'd say change 'deep green' and 'deep purple' to some other descriptions of said colours.
But I have to say that's an awesome design and I love it. Nice one!

TheEschaton
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
might put a slash between deep green. The leaf is not deep and green, the leaf is the color deep green.

I think the exquisite craftsmanship part is a bit superfluous, you can show the detailing and allow people to come to the conclusion themselves, or push it to the end of the sentence. For example:

"....The vine trails down, wrapping around both arms to end at his fingertips. Amazingly intricate detail of each vein on every deep-green leaf, the delicate spines along the cane, and the ready-to-be-picked deep purple fruit belies the exquisite craftsmanship of the marquist."

Marquist is an archaic word for a tattooist, you might go with the latter if you want. Or artist.

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
OK, I think this is it. If you have any ideas for another way to say deep-green, I am all ears. I did not like the fruit so much, so got rid of it.

The Loganberry vine appears to have taken root along the hairline behind his ears and back of his neck. The vine trails down and wraps around both arms to end at his fingertips. The amazingly intricate detail of the veins on each deep-green leaf and the delicate spines along the cane show the dedication of the marquist to his craft.

One last question. How do you ask the artist for a custom tattoo? The syntax is kicking my ass. Thanks again for all the help.

TheEschaton
04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't capitalize loganberry, personally. Add a "the" before "back of his neck" possibly. Not really wrong, just flows better, IMHO.

Verdant green? Dark green? Dunno. Verdant green is kind of redundant.

-TheE-

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
OK, here it is. Going to try to get it now:

The loganberry vine appears to have taken root along the hairline behind his ears and the back of his neck. The vine trails down and wraps around both arms to end at his fingertips. The amazingly intricate detail of the veins on each deep-green leaf and the delicate spines along the cane show the dedication of the marquist to his craft.

Nilandia
04-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey, Goretawn, feel free to IM me anytime to talk about what you're looking for and we'll see what we can come up with. I adore writing designs for other people, especially those that are tailored just for the person.

Gretchen

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Hey, Goretawn, feel free to IM me anytime to talk about what you're looking for and we'll see what we can come up with. I adore writing designs for other people, especially those that are tailored just for the person.

Gretchen

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Asha
04-07-2007, 01:24 AM
OW!! don't change a thing it's perfect.
Just get rid of 'amazingly' and you're set.

Nice tat otherwise.
you made that up yourself and it rocks.

Goretawn
04-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Thank you all for your help. I have to find a merchant now that will put it on him. Might just use premi points.