PDA

View Full Version : Royal Marines Freed by Iran

Nieninque
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6530801.stm

Atlanteax
04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm all glad that the UK Sailors/Marines are back home...

... but I'm bothered by how "friendly" they were with the Iranians, such as telling Amadj "Thank you for your forgiviness" ... as opposed to just sticking with saying Name/Rank.

Iran 1 ... UK 0

Gan
04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
It was a PR touchdown for Iran. ;)

I'm glad the Marines were unharmed, and are back home.

Parkbandit
04-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I think this story shows that freedom of expression is alive and well in Iran.

Goretawn
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Come on, it is obvious there is something more going on behind the scenes people. There is something much larger going on or we would have shut down the Arabian see and cut off the Iranians.

Artha
04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
It's really hard to threaten a huge, stable source of something very important.

Nieninque
04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
So why did they allow themselves to be captured...?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6533069.stm

Goretawn
04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
So why did they allow themselves to be captured...?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6533069.stm

Well, let's look at what they faced, shall we?

"Their boat was surrounded by six boats and rammed and they were trained with heavy machine guns and weapons. "

1. I don't know about you, but I do not like those odds.

2. I personally would not like to be the person to start that war, how about you?

Nieninque
04-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, let's look at what they faced, shall we?

"Their boat was surrounded by six boats and rammed and they were trained with heavy machine guns and weapons. "

1. I don't know about you, but I do not like those odds.

2. I personally would not like to be the person to start that war, how about you?

It was a loaded question based upon a previous discussion on these boards.
Basically one of the members asked that question when the news first broke and said that were he in their position he would have died before he allowed himself to be taken prisoner.

Most of the responses were along the lines of yours and most of us were of the view that the Marines had done the right thing all along.

Kinda nice to be proven right.

Daniel
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Come on, it is obvious there is something more going on behind the scenes people. There is something much larger going on or we would have shut down the Arabian see and cut off the Iranians.

It's politics.

Now anytime someone is like "HOLY SHIT IF IRAN HAS NUKES THEY'LL FUCK US UP CUZ THEY ARE MAD CRAZY SON" people will just be able to be like...welll....what about that one time with the sailors...they don't look all that bad.

They played it perfectly. If they had drawn it out even more then the world would have latched onto the fact that they orchestrated this whole thing, but now it's a moot point and no one really gives a fuck anymore. They got what they wanted and in the interim it looks like they might have gained access to US detained Iranians in Iraq.

I mean....

Iran is nothing but pure crazy.

As for the US\UK: We all know the UK isn't gonna start flinging nukes like the US would have (hell I probably woulda advocated it myself). They simply don't have the manpower or the national will to get into a slugfest in the Middle East unless it's absolutely neccessary and we sure as fuck don't want to find ourselves having to support ANOTHER rebuilding operation in the ME anytime soon.

Sean of the Thread
04-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Basically yeah.

Non basically they're fucked now. They took it to another level..

Daniel
04-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Non basically they're fucked now. They took it to another level..

Nah. They're just playing their cards when the time is right. We all know ( I hope) that we're not in a position right now to do a whole lot more shit in the region without massive international support and it just got that much harder to get that support on the basis that Iran is abunch of drugged out religious fucknuts bent on western destruction. Which, I mean, was basicaly our entire stance.

Back
04-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Iran does not have a nuke. Whats to stop us?

Sean of the Thread
04-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Iran does not have a nuke. Whats to stop us?

Liberal dimwits?

Back
04-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Liberal dimwits?

Far as I know a liberal does not have his finger on the button.

Sean of the Thread
04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Pussy libby idiots are the reason this war wasn't conducted efficiently.

Unless someone sacks up the next will be no different.

Back
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Pussy libby idiots are the reason this war wasn't conducted efficiently.

Unless someone sacks up the next will be no different.

So basically you are saying GW can’t sack up because of a few libby pussy idiots.

Atlanteax
04-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Just gotta look past the facade...

Gan
04-10-2007, 11:33 AM
GUTSY Faye Turney turned the tables on Iranian tyrant Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as he freed her in front of TV cameras — making him SQUIRM.

She was the first of the 15 hostages ushered forward during the cynical stunt in the madman’s own Tehran palace garden.

As Faye stood in front of bearded Ahmadinejad he asked her through a translator: “How is your daughter?”

Faye fumed in response: “I don’t know, Mr President, I haven’t seen her for 13 days — remember?”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007160379,00.html

__________________________________________________ ______

:clap:

Sean of the Thread
04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Fucking good for her.

However if she had real balls she would have kicked him in the nuts on camera.

Nieninque
04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
And she was so traumatised she sold her story to the highest p[aying tabloid rag.

Bleargh.

Atlanteax
04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't buy her account of what happened.

I think there was only no sound because it was not an embarassment to Britain, as was "We thank you for your forgiveness"

sst
04-11-2007, 04:24 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would rather die than be taken captive.

I still ask the same question even after reading that, Why did they allow themselves to be taken hostage.

StrayRogue
04-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Simple. Because they aren't stupid.

Atlanteax
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Yet another editorial cartoon... this is recent... and was done by someone who works for a newspaper in India.

Parkbandit
04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Simple. Because they aren't stupid.

/agree

While I don't believe it necessary for them to suck the Iranian Cock as much as they did.. it is foolish to say that they should have fought back, given the circumstances of their story.

xtc
04-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I think this story shows that freedom of expression is alive and well in Iran.

Your point being?

Parkbandit
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Your point being?

That you are a joke.. I thought that was obvious.

xtc
04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
That you are a joke.. I thought that was obvious.

Thanks for the laugh, from a lightweight like you, who takes his talking points from Fox, I will consider it a compliment. You can't even form a decent argument.

Parkbandit
04-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the laugh, from a lightweight like you, who takes his talking points from Fox, I will consider it a compliment. You can't even form a decent argument.

What argument did you bring up? I posted a really, ignorant quote by you about free speech in Iraq.. and you asked what my point was.. I said it was to show you as a joke, which is obvious to most here.

I doubt Fox knows anything about you being a joke.. but I can check if it makes you feel better.

xtc
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
What argument did you bring up? I posted a really, ignorant quote by you about free speech in Iraq.. and you asked what my point was.. I said it was to show you as a joke, which is obvious to most here.

I doubt Fox knows anything about you being a joke.. but I can check if it makes you feel better.

Actually I posted about Iran (not Iraq) based on a story about the Iranian's Presidents limo getting pelted by protesters.

You re-posted my post in this thread. I asked you the relevance/reason and your answer was that I am a joke. You failed to tie my post to this thread. If I am asked to construct an argument or defend a statement I shall, you didn't.

Parkbandit
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Actually I posted about Iran (not Iraq) based on a story about the Iranian's Presidents limo getting pelted by protesters.

You re-posted my post in this thread. I asked you the relevance/reason and your answer was that I am a joke. You failed to tie my post to this thread. If I am asked to construct an argument or defend a statement I shall, you didn't.

(not Iraq.. who mentioned Iraq? Oh, you did.. for whatever reason)

Latrinsorm
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I posted a really, ignorant quote by you about free speech in Iraq..Who made these newfangled keyboards with the q and n right goldurn next to each other!! Consarnit!!

Parkbandit
04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Son of a...

I blame Bush for that typo... he started the war for no reason. HE LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nieninque
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
This has blown up into a huge row at the moment as two of the 15 Marines that were captured sold their stories to the press for cash.

I thought it pretty sick at the time (I posted my contempt earlier in the thread) but there is a huge uproar in the Forces and all across the media that is basically asking for the Defence Secretary who should have stopped this kiss and tell shit from happening, to be sacked.

What made it worse is that these Marines were selling their stories to the press at round about the same time that another four soldiers were being flown back to the UK in coffins. There is much wailing and Gnashing of teeth.

They kinda showed themselves in a bit of a shitty light though, hence Atlantaux's second cartoon.

sst
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Great soldiers there, I see why they surrendered.

Nieninque
04-13-2007, 10:18 AM
The OC of that boat made the decision to surrender.

The two that sold their stories were not the ones that made the decision to surrender so their poor standing at the moment has, nor had no bearing on that decision in the first place.

You are still a prick.

sst
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
And their OC? was still a coward.

"Live Free or Die."

TheEschaton
04-15-2007, 10:33 AM
You do realize your imperative of "Live Free or Die" is a servitude to freedom itself, right?

Irony.

-TheE-

Nieninque
04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
And their OC? was still a coward.

"Live Free or Die."

The OC was intelligent.

He made the right choice.

The two who sold their stories to the press were stupid. Very stupid.

On a scale of intelligence...

|-----------------------------|----------------------------|----------------------------|
This is intelligent..............This is stupid..................This is Brain Dead.......................This is Dave

Artha
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
You do realize your imperative of "Live Free or Die" is a servitude to freedom itself, right?
Freedom isn't free, etc etc etc.

TheEschaton
04-15-2007, 11:31 AM
No, I'm simply saying that any system enslaves people who believe wholeheartedly in it, without question.

Including freedom.

Postmodernism ftw.

-TheE-