PDA

View Full Version : A new pet

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Okay, my apartment place allows any kind of pet under the sun, so everything's fair game.

I want a cool new pet. I don't know what to get.

Requirements:
1) Will not eat me
2) Will not eat my roommates
3) Must be fairly cheap to maintain
4) Must be able to eat after midnight
5) Must be water-resistant.

I was considering asking the pet store for their most deadly guinnea pig

But then again, i've always wanted a Corgi too(That's a dog).

Any ideas?

Quitter
11-18-2003, 12:41 PM
a girlfriend

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 12:43 PM
I've got like three. I don't need more. I'm talking about a PET. Not a slave.

EDIT: And of course, I don't mean slave..I just mean someone to cook and clean for me.

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by Neff]

GarrsSoul
11-18-2003, 12:44 PM
If you want to go in the way of reptiles, send me an IM at Kilockel.

I can help ya out, reptiles are my specialty.

Quitter
11-18-2003, 12:44 PM
then why you need a pet?

Sean
11-18-2003, 12:45 PM
i miss my iguana

GarrsSoul
11-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Die of old age?

EmpressBtch
11-18-2003, 12:46 PM
I guess you could go with a goldfish. It doesn't eat people...unless its just obscenely huge. Low maintenance, cheap, toss some food in sometime during the day. They just aren't cuddly.

Quitter
11-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Cats are marvelous if you're like 75% of guys, which is to be uncareful.

A dog is your friend, but going outside 3 times per day for his crap time, and cleaning it, bah..

cats are cheap, and you can even teach your cat to drink in the toilet, so only have to give him food once per day

Sean
11-18-2003, 12:47 PM
forgot to close a screen and he went MIA

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Yeah I want something that will do something other than eat and breath..so no fish. I considered a cat, but i'd rather take a dog outside than clean a litterbox. I've had every conceivable pet under the sun already though in the past, so I know how to take care of pretty much everything.

I think I might just get a guinnea pig.

Quitter
11-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Law of nature

bigger = more intelligent

smaller = more dumb

Cat lives close to 20 years too, and they can manipulate you with some feline affection

Edaarin
11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
I had a dog until a few weeks ago.

Guess what it's name was.

GuildRat
11-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Dinner?

Edaarin
11-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Cheap shot.

GuildRat
11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Cheap, but funny.....you left your self wide open to that one. To have NOT taken the shot would have been just soooo not me.

Camri
11-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Neff,

Guinea pigs smell bad. It's that kind of smell that hits you when you walk in the house.

Have you ever cleaned that gross stuff out of the bottom of a guinea pig cage?

I don't like cats. But they seem easier to take care of, if you can stand all the hair.

Weedmage Princess
11-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Get a goldfish, like someone recommended!

Quitter
11-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Just turn the tv on, your video on, buy a video of a fish swiming in an aquarium and that's a golden fish

damn, it's so lifeless

take a cat, follow my advice, if you're tired of it just throw it out in the nature, he'll be happy in any case

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Yeah I used to have a Guinnea pig..but I think it was weird..because it didn't smell at all and it was all cuddly and shit. It actually got out of its cage once and got into bed with me. I felt violated, it was horrible. But in all seriousness it scared the fuck out me that night.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Ferrets are all the rage, but ive never owned one so I cant vouch for them.

I work with Guinnea Pigs and cannot stand them. They are fat, ugly, stupid, and dont like people.

I personally would get a Greyhound or some medium to large breed dog I could run and rough house with.

Cats are nice, if you get one I suggest getting a male that has already been declawed and neutered. They are far more effectionate then females and usually have a better tempermant. Make yourself feel like your worth something and get one from a homeless shelter or something.

Lizards...ugh. I havent had much experience with them. I think any creature you own that doesnt like you back isnt a pet, its a mobile decoration. Im thinking Iguana's and snakes fall well into this catagory.

So.. We have

1. Older male cat
2. Smaller dog
3. Ferret
4. Lizzard
DEAD LAST. Guinnea Pig...useless creatures. Get a hampster instead, atleast they are cute.

Quitter
11-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Gotta hate cold blood

He's right, male cat, (don't make it surged, wait to see if you like it)

take those with long hair, they're even more funnier

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Now Ferret's STINK unless they're de-stinkified, which is expensive. That's a cool idea though. I'll have to look into that.

An older male cat..I don't think I could get one because it'd feel like I was replacing my other cat, who's down in Florida. His name is Josef Stalin. He kills Russians.

Here is a picture of him.

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 01:55 PM
So anyway..I forgot to attach the picture

But does he not look like he killed 40 million?

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Team what the crap?! It won't let me post my picture. This is BS.

StrayRogue
11-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Quitter
Law of nature

bigger = more intelligent

smaller = more dumb

Cat lives close to 20 years too, and they can manipulate you with some feline affection

One word - Dinosaurs.

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Even easier, Stray.

Dogs are not dumber than cats by a wide margin.

AnticorRifling
11-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Get a hedgehog or a flying squrriell.

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 02:03 PM
I had hedgehogs. They're disgusting, dude.

The males will bite you if you get too close to the cage,

and the females will stand on two feet and pee on you if you if they feel threatened.. And THEN they'll cover themselves with this white foamy shit for apparently no reason. It's nasty.

GuildRat
11-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Get a pug....ugly enough to be cute to all the women, and they're extremely intelligent and fun to play with.

$300+ though if you get AKC papers....

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by GuildRat]

Dighn Darkbeam
11-18-2003, 02:19 PM
I had hedgehogs. They're disgusting, dude. >>>

If they are anything like groundhogs, why would anyone in their right mind purposely come into possession of such creatures? They are mean, nasty, destructive little bastards.

God, I rather own a wolverine or a badger over a groundhog, atleast then you have some sort of bragging rights.

Souzy
11-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Ferrets stink. Get a dog.

GSLeloo
11-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Here's my advice coming the home that is a zoo... Mice/Gerbills/Ferrets are a no... Some can be friendly, yes, but they still smell bad and aren't exactly the best pets. For example we have the mouse that runs around the house dropping crap as it goes.. or the ferret that likes to crap in the corners and itself smells like a skunk...

Next are birds. Yes, birds a pretty. Yes they crap as they fly (as my mother learned when one crapped on her in the living room). They aren't exactly cuddly and they chirp in the mornings when you try to sleep. Plus ours manage to kick their crap out of the cage and onto the walls.

Now we have reptiles. Our snakes weren't that bad, except the second one was fond of biting me and pushing the top off of its tank. He eventually got out and we never found him again. Still, rather pointless pet. Lizards were just as pointless and I believe one of our lizards ate the other...

Fish are decoration.

Cats are the second best pet. Fluffy, cute, a real pet. if you can deal with the puking furballs and cleaning catboxes, they're good. Our cat by it's 12th year of life was fond of pissing outside of the box and creating a nice puddle for us to clean.

Now in my opinion the best pet, a dog. A big dog. Ours is crazy and she's so cute and cuddly and just absolutely adorable. Best pet over. (Advice on dogs, small dogs have small bladders, my aunts little weiner dogs get so excited to see you that they pee on themselves).

Good luck Neff.

Souzy
11-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by GuildRat
Get a pug....ugly enough to be cute to all the women, and they're extremely intelligent and fun to play with.

$300+ though if you get AKC papers....

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by GuildRat]

Pugs are adorable, those and Sharpei's.

GSLeloo
11-18-2003, 02:37 PM
The pug I saw at the AKC was $800. Plus I mean.. they kind of remind me of a pig. My mom wants one though... hopefully my dog will eat it.

GSLeloo
11-18-2003, 02:39 PM
http://www.geocities.com/janelloyd20/ginger1.html

Just so everyone can see what a real dog is..

11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
I want a kitty

Souzy
11-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by RangerD1
I want a kitty

You serious RangerD? A kitty? Cat's claw everything and the smell of kitty litter is just horrendous. Never mind the fact that they shed on everything.

Pugs are cute and look all squished. They're like rolly polly dogs, hehe.

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
I had hedgehogs. They're disgusting, dude. >>>

If they are anything like groundhogs, why would anyone in their right mind purposely come into possession of such creatures? They are mean, nasty, destructive little bastards.

God, I rather own a wolverine or a badger over a groundhog, atleast then you have some sort of bragging rights.

Hedgehog, not groundhog.

http://www.petoftheday.com/archive/2002/October/09.jpg

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 02:56 PM
Also, I have decided that I am going to get a Walrus.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Hedgehog, not groundhog.

http://www.petoftheday.com/archive/2002/October/09.jpg >>

A walking pin cushion for a pet? PASS.

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah. And I just realized something.

It wasn't the hedgehogs that would stand on their hind legs and pee on you when they're threatened.

It was the fuckin' Chinchillas.

The males are okay but the females are freakin' nuts.

EmpressBtch
11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Screw it get a rottweiler or an akita. I had a guy that would walk my akita, to coin his phrase, "a bitch getter."

Overlord
11-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Meh Akitas not bad, japanese bear hunting dog. Back in Scotland I had 8 huskies, magnificent beasts they were.

Souzy
11-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Hehe, that was me, I said they claw everything, muahaha!!! I'm not a cat person, can ya tell? I love kitties, but only because they are such small things. But, full grown cats, I don't know? I can't get myself to really like them as much. I prefer canines.

Quitter
11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
dogs in an apart is cruel, everyone that got somewhat big dog inside an apart should be "add a bad verb here".

dog = house = big terrain.

(i don't speak of those little rats called small dog (à la caniche))

Hips
11-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Get a hedgehog. They're adorable. The player of Tassi/Eclipsa has one, and I want to steal it!

Souzy
11-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Depends how big/small your apartment is. If you have a small apartment, I'm sure they wouldn't allow pets to live there. If you have a fairly good sized apartment, then your good to go. I'm not talking about a Great Dane or anything, sheesh. A fair sized dog would be good (i.e., golden retriever). Plus, who in the world would want to own a rat sized dog? Mind as well get a damn feline. I'm speaking about REAL dogs here.

AnticorRifling
11-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
Depends how big/small your apartment is. If you have a small apartment, I'm sure they wouldn't allow pets to live there. If you have a fairly good sized apartment, then your good to go. I'm not talking about a Great Dane or anything, sheesh. A fair sized dog would be good (i.e., golden retriever). Plus, who in the world would want to own a rat sized dog? Mind as well get a damn feline. I'm speaking about REAL dogs here.

Have you seen the pictures of my 4 pound dog?!

She is real, a real pain in the ass. Chews anything that is within chewing height. Shoes, boxes, toes, carpet, the other dog, the drywall off the corner of the wall!

Souzy
11-18-2003, 04:44 PM
LMAO!!! I did see it actually and she's cute! See small things like that, I have a habit of kicking across the floor if they act up, haha! Sort of kidding of course. I just prefer big things. I don't know, it's that whole protection thing. If someone should break into my house or something, my dog would go for their neck, not bite at their ankles :P

Edited: Damn smiley

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by Lalana]

Ravenstorm
11-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Having two cats, I speak with the voice of experience.

Cat litter keeps getting better and better. You can easily keep an apartment odor free just by being a little responsible. Clean it out when it needs cleaning out. That means one or two times a day. If you get the clumping cat litter it makes it even easier. Change the litter entirely every week, possibly every two depending on what you think it needs. And wooden matches are great for eliminating odors. Better than any canned spray out there.

Raven

HarmNone
11-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Cats are good pets for those who do not want to be held to their pets' schedule. They are basically self-sufficient, and can be trained to use the toilet instead of a litterbox! I just cannot get those of mine who will use the toilet to flush the damned thing! :D

HarmNone loves her cats

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
Get a hedgehog. They're adorable. The player of Tassi/Eclipsa has one, and I want to steal it!

I've had hedgehogs before. I'd take a male MAYBE but not a female. But they get all nasty if you scare them and then you have to wash them in this special dust shit because they aren't water-resistant. And if you'll read my first post, that's a requirement!

No mogwi!

Moist Happenings
11-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Lalana

Well...there's 3 floors..and 3 people..(our apartment is way bigger than we need) and it's not a bunch of apartments in one building, it's more like a development of townhouses. Just without garages. Anyway, we already own one half Lab/half husky and I was thinking about getting either a mid sized dog, or a rodent of some sort. I don't want to try to replace my cat that's off in florida.

Moist Happenings
01-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Woo, Okay so this is the first thread I ever created, a million years ago.

And i'm dragging up the past, not only for nostalgic reasons, but also because I'm now looking for a fricken pet again.

The uh..guinnea pig thing..yeah that didn't work out so well it smelled bad.

In particular i'm looking for some sort of dog. Leaning towards one of the smaller breeds, but i'm not sure what I want.

Any ideas?

P.S. - I'm considering a miniature dachshund. Anybody have or had one? Are they generally good-tempered? I'm used to labradors. I don't really want something that i'm going to be tempted to you know...step on.

[Edited on 1-14-2006 by Neff]

Wezas
01-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Weiner dogs, I believe that's over in isle Anticor

Don't get a corgi, they look like little aliens.

Killer Kitten
01-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Take a trip to your local animal shelter. There are dozens of terrific dogs out there that really need a good home.

If you go to a good shelter, the dog you choose will already be spayed/neutered, housebroken and have all its shots. It will also have been temperament tested, de-wormed and de-fleaed.

It's a great way to find yourself a wonderful companion and save a life at the same time.

For an interesting "pocket pet" check out sugar gliders. With patience, gentleness and a bit of work, a glider is a fun and affectionate pet. http://www.animalnetwork.com/critters/profiles/sugarglider/default.asp

Good luck with whatever pet you choose!

Moist Happenings
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Wezas

Exactly!

Jazuela
01-14-2006, 11:29 AM
If you're trying for a dog, go for a mutt. Less maintenence required, less risk of in-bred ailments (like german shepard hip problems and pug breathing problems). You can pick up a mutt at any pound/shelter, and I've never heard of any mutt costing more than a hundred bucks. The best thing about getting a pound pooch is that the money goes right back into the care, feeding, and administrative costs for the animals that other people have given up/abandoned/abused.

Otherwise I'd say get a snake. Python, bell boa, or if you like'em big and really exotic, an albino anaconda. Pythons are kinda moody though, if it was up to me I'd get a boa. Albino anacondas are just amazingly awesome but if you feed them well they can grow in excess of 15 feet.

Moist Happenings
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
.......yes...about the snake thing...

One of the requirements is that it doesn't eat me or my roommates...

so i'm gonna go ahead and pass on that one.

My brother in law had a full grown Nile Monitor, by the way, and i'll go ahead and pass on those too if anyone is thinking about suggesting it.

:)

Wezas
01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
For an interesting "pocket pet" check out sugar gliders. With patience, gentleness and a bit of work, a glider is a fun and affectionate pet. http://www.animalnetwork.com/critters/profiles/sugarglider/default.asp

Good luck with whatever pet you choose!

http://strictlyreptiles.tv/photos/gallery/s/images/Sugar%20glider%20baby_jpg.jpg

http://www.buffalodiocese.org/cathed/ci/ncea_pictures/NCEA%202001%20Sugar%20Glider_North%20Queensland_Au stralia.JPG

http://lamington.nrsm.uq.edu.au/images/fauna/Sugar.jpg

That thing looks friggin awesome. It looks like it's from another planet.

Sugar Glider gets my vote over a crappy weiner dog.

Info on them:
http://www.skinhorse.net/gliders/

Looks like getting two so they keep each other company seems to be the way to go.

Warriorbird
01-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Little dog wise, go for Sheltie.

soenchanting
01-14-2006, 12:31 PM
My neighbor has 4 weiner dogs. They're not very smart but very affectionate. Also prone to health problems because that body shape is just not something nature intended and puts all kinds of stress on the back. They're also noisy dogs who bark and howl at everything. I have a nice little mutt who is mainly sheltie. 34 pounds, smart, fun and clean. Perfect apartment dog and having to walk him is a pleasure. Get a mutt....you'll never regret it. I used to get breeds and never will again.

Jazuela
01-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Some snakes get aggressive Neff, but the three I mentioned (with the occasional moodswing of the python) are pretty gentle creatures. Fun stuff about these snakes:

1) You only feed it once a month.
2) It only shits once a month.
3) Snakes don't go into heat, and therefore don't need to get "fixed."
4) Snakes don't smell.
5) Snakes are WARM and snuggly and comfy in the wintertime.
6) Snakes are COOL and snuggly and comfy in the summertime.
7) Snakes don't have to bark to warn away would-be robbers. Most would-be robbers are scared shitless of the things! Just put a sign on the front door warning everyone not to piss off your anaconda, and all is well.
8 ) Snakes don't need toys or a back yard for exercise. They're primarily muscle to begin with.
9) They make for fun parties with friends, because they enjoy the comfort of laps to stretch out on. Imagine 4 of you on the couch, with Spike the 10-foot anaconda laying across all of your laps, its tail curled up against your belly and its head and neck exploring the contours of your buddy's neck.

The only time they really get grumpy is shedding time, and a couple of days before they're due to get fed. So most people feed them at shedding time, and that usually keeps them content.

Snapp
01-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Don't be hatin! I have a corgi! :(

Also, those sugar glider thingies rock. I want one!

HarmNone
01-14-2006, 06:22 PM
If I were you, Neff, I'd read up on the breeds that interest you. You can learn a lot about the personalities of the various breeds. That will make it easier for you to choose the one that best fits your lifestyle.

Skirmisher
01-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Guinea pig = Cuy

Killer Kitten
01-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Wezas, those are some awesome glider pictures!

I've wanted a couple of gliders for ages, but I've never gotten any because the cats tend to eat up all of my time and energy. Maybe someday when no more cats are needing rescued... (insert dream sequence here).

Caiylania
01-16-2006, 08:33 AM
All those questionairre things that ask if you won the lotto blah blah

animal sanctuary is my answer: Sad how many need help

Im not for most animals considered exotic pets; but if you have the money and get at least two sugar gliders are on my maybe list lol They just get very very very lonely easily so if you dont have lots of time they can actually get sick and die just from being alone

Tisket
01-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Those sugar gliders look like they just might suck blood.

Methais
01-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Get a potbelly pig.

Sylvan Dreams
01-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by soenchanting
My neighbor has 4 weiner dogs. They're not very smart but very affectionate. Also prone to health problems because that body shape is just not something nature intended and puts all kinds of stress on the back. They're also noisy dogs who bark and howl at everything. I have a nice little mutt who is mainly sheltie. 34 pounds, smart, fun and clean. Perfect apartment dog and having to walk him is a pleasure. Get a mutt....you'll never regret it. I used to get breeds and never will again.

I have a weiner dog. She's very quiet and rarely barks. She's pretty smart too and learns things quickly with not very much training (but lots of treats!). Maybe your neighbors dogs are just fucked up. I only got a purebreed because I wanted a dog that was guaranteed to stay small.

My other dog was originally a stray. I have no idea what the hell she is. In the 10 years I've had her, she's only had to go to the vet once for something other than the routine shots. She's incredibly healthy and acts like a puppy. I have no idea how old she is as she was full grown when I found her.