PDA

View Full Version : Norton 360

Things2Come
03-20-2007, 07:12 AM
A few days ago I decided to upgrade my second computer with Norton 360. I've now realized what a horrible product this is, and what horrible customer service Symantec has.

If I ever manage to get through to customer service, I'm going to ask for a refund, but do any of you have any suggestions on good firewall/anti-virus software?

Drew2
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Learning how to use the internet safely is a good firewall/anti-virus.

The firewall that comes with Windows is fine. Adding more to that like Norton or McAfee will only cause problems for certain applications.

As for anti-virus, Norton is fine as long as you get ONLY the anti-virus, and not all that other bullshit. But I assume you have a strong distaste for Symantec products now, so go with McAfee or AVG or PC-Cillin or whatever. But I'm telling you, make sure it's as close to strictly anti-virus as you can get without all that excess stuff or you'll only cause headaches for yourself.

Note: I haven't used an anti-virus nor firewall in several years and I've never gotten any kind of infection. The secret? Knowing what not to click on the internet.

Artha
03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Note: I haven't used an anti-virus nor firewall in several years and I've never gotten any kind of infection.

That you know of.

crazymage
03-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Eh I have nortons internet security 07 I have no probelms, it's easy to disable windows firewall to avoid conflicts

TheEschaton
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
yeah, NAV actually works awesomely for me. And Symantec's customer service through EMail worked awesomely for me.

It helped that the guy's name was Ravishkumar.

-TheE-

Stanley Burrell
03-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Use the Symantec removal tool from http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

You might still have one or two of Norton's background services running after you uninstall. I would say that for me, personally, Webroot Spysweeper w/ its anti-Virus component has been an awesome buy thus far and my computer kicks into turbo like 1/3 of the time that it was actually doing so when I had a Symantec firewall + anti-virus + virus + annoying package installed.

I'd use a registry saving program that creates restoral points before, during and after uninstalling 360.

Drew2
03-20-2007, 11:01 AM
That you know of.

I have gotten no infections. I am not unsure of this.

Drew2
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Eh I have nortons internet security 07 I have no probelms, it's easy to disable windows firewall to avoid conflicts

I'm not making up anything, I am speaking from experience. Internet Security *especially* causes problems for certain applications accessing the internet or network resources.

Soulpieced
03-20-2007, 04:04 PM
AVG Free Antivirus. Protection works fine and the price is right.

DeV
03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I have gotten no infections. I am not unsure of this.
Same.

Norton is the most intrusive antivirus software program I have ever had the displeasure of using. Ever.

McAfee was banned from my computer shortly after its program attempted to interfere with my computer running Lavasoft Ad-aware.

Bobmuhthol
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
There are always going to be successful unauthorized access attempts on your machine. They are very rarely important, but regardless, no one is totally secure. What Artha said was true, no matter how super1337 you think your regular internet-connected computer is.

Edit: Not getting a virus is not the same as not getting probed.

Numbers
03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
AVG and ZoneAlarm.

Although I'm looking for a good free replacement for ZoneAlarm, as that's starting to turn into bloatware.

Drew2
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Edit: Not getting a virus is not the same as not getting probed.
I've been probed and I have no virus.

Bobmuhthol
03-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Fucking double entendres.

Things2Come
03-21-2007, 08:25 AM
So after three days of trying to get through, I finally managed to speak to someone and they refunded the full amount of the purchase.

Norton 360 started to cause other issues with that laptop, certain programs wouldn't open, most internet websites loaded slowly, my cd-rom drive wouldn't read.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll look into some of those.