PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Drops and Padding

Fallen
03-18-2007, 02:14 PM
>Could a GM please state if Crit Padding comes into play on the drop portion of the War Griffin maneuver? I dont need to know how much, just if it does actually help. -Evarin and his Mis'ri

Crit padded armor will help lessen the blow from the return portion of a griffin ride.

-M.

Ignot
03-18-2007, 02:31 PM
That's good to know. Thanks.

Drew
03-18-2007, 03:13 PM
HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Latrinsorm, SUCK IT LONG AND SUCK IT HARD!

Ignot
03-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Im sure we were all thinking that

StrayRogue
03-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Where was that posted on the officials?

StrayRogue
03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Never mind. Anyway, thanks Evarin. I can rub this in Latrinstorm's face next time he tells me my "crit padding doesn't effect certain maneuvers" annecdotal evidence is false.

Drew
03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Never mind. Anyway, thanks Evarin. I can rub this in Latrinstorm's face next time he tells me my "crit padding doesn't effect certain maneuvers" annecdotal evidence is false.

Well, to be pedantic (because I'm sure he will), they only confirmed it for griffin drops. Latrinsorm won't be convinced until he knows ALL maneuvers are covered.

StrayRogue
03-18-2007, 03:51 PM
You're probably right. Just like when I proved dodge doesn't effect CM defense.

But he can stfu next time I see someone die from a drop and I say "WEAR CRIT PADDING NOOB".

Gan
03-18-2007, 03:53 PM
>Could a GM please state if Crit Padding comes into play on the drop portion of the War Griffin maneuver? I dont need to know how much, just if it does actually help. -Evarin and his Mis'ri

Crit padded armor will help lessen the blow from the return portion of a griffin ride.

-M.

I thought everyone who hunted OTF knew that?

Its easy to test.

:wtf:

Latrinsorm
03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I never said your anecdotal evidence was "false", Strayrogue, just that it wasn't evidence. Statistical evidence is evidence, GM statements are evidence. Anecdotal "evidence" still doesn't prove anything, regardless of who it comes from. Way to back off on your claim that "someone" did research on this in the beta, though, and glad to know that you see mechanics research as personal competition. That's a healthy attitude. (P.S. It's Latrinsorm, only one "t". :))

I am glad that a GM came out and said something either way, although not as generally or quantitatively as I'd hoped. Crit padding research is really annoying.

Sylvan Dreams
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
The griffin quickly swoops down and releases you several feet above the ground, and you flail awkwardly before landing with a dull **THUD**!
... 2 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your left hand!
Roundtime: 8 sec.

Who needs crit padding? Pfft.

StrayRogue
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Um, I never said anyone did griffin drop research in beta.

Latrinsorm
03-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Just like when I proved dodge doesn't effect CM defense.Is that seriously how you remember that situation? :\

TheEschaton
03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
My cleric rarely dies from drops any more in his 8x hcp brig. Before it was padded via premium points, though, dying on a drop was a 3 in 4 chance, I'd say.

More anecdotal evidence, I know.

-TheE-

StrayRogue
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Don't matter now E, everyone's "experience" doesn't actually matter. It's been clarified, ftw.

Gan
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
The griffin quickly swoops down and releases you several feet above the ground, and you flail awkwardly before landing with a dull **THUD**!
... 2 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your left hand!

Who needs crit padding? Pfft.

Post one where they fully grab you and fly off, then drop you. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Latrinsorm
03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Um, I never said anyone did griffin drop research in beta.The "this" I was using referred to maneuvers in general, which has always been the point of contention between us.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=527184&postcount=243
Its easy to test.Everything is easy to test. Most things are hard to test scientifically.

Gan
03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
My cleric rarely dies from drops any more in his 8x hcp brig. Before it was padded via premium points, though, dying on a drop was a 3 in 4 chance, I'd say.

More anecdotal evidence, I know.

-TheE-

I used hcp brig for quite a while before selling it off. Never died and the damage/stun times were minimal at best. I now use a set of swcp brig and have never died, damage/stun times are a little greater but not enough to result in a death.

My rogue wearing plain mbp dies almost every time he's dropped, and it has zero crit padding.

But yea, thats anecdotal evidence as well I guess. :shrug:

Gan
03-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Most things are hard to test scientifically.

Sticking your hand in a flame is easy to test for heat/pain as well. But because you dont have any scientific evidence to proove it causes heat/pain doesnt mean you'll keep sticking your hand in it eh?

Then again...

StrayRogue
03-18-2007, 04:07 PM
The only maneuver that I know to be hard tested with thousands of hits in and out of crit padded armour, is boil. Which WAS effected.

But as Ganalon said, no matter what anyone's "anecdotal evidence", you still wouldn't believe it. And why would you? You don't actually get to experience such things.

Fallen
03-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I am a firm believer that the higher armor class you're in, the less this maneuver affects you. However, as I have said before, it may be the extra PT or CM training. Perhaps even redux. I dont care, though. Padding helps, and I have VHCP. I just wish I could bump it up another notch, though I never see exceptionally crit padded LBP or Cuirb about.

unconcerned1
03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Post one where they fully grab you and fly off, then drop you. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

... 15 points of damage!
Nasty blow to your right hand!

Doesn't look so huge to me. Level 89 warrior (at THAT time). All my griffin drops look like that, small roundtime, small minor, rarely a stun but if there is, one round.

Gan
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Damnit, I'm in the landing. Someone post a real griffin drop?

unconcerned1
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
What's not real about that? War griffin in OTF. The kind where you get picked up and moved to a different part of OTF.

Danical
03-18-2007, 10:59 PM
So . . . does crit padding help against all or most maneuvers?

I believe it was stated that Crit Weighting would affect the outcome of CMan Hamstring . . . does Crit Padding help defend against CMans (e.g. charge, bullrush, etc.)?

In general, crit padding will help you with anything that does critical damage. So Charge damage would be mitigated, while the damage from Bull Rush would not.

-M.

Drew
03-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Everything is easy to test. Most things are hard to test scientifically.

Actually, griffin drops would be easy to test, just do some redux testing and the GMs will eventually put a bunch of griffins in the room to drop you. :club:

Danical
03-19-2007, 01:12 AM
:lolwave:

StrayRogue
03-19-2007, 02:50 AM
So . . . does crit padding help against all or most maneuvers?

I believe it was stated that Crit Weighting would affect the outcome of CMan Hamstring . . . does Crit Padding help defend against CMans (e.g. charge, bullrush, etc.)?

In general, crit padding will help you with anything that does critical damage. So Charge damage would be mitigated, while the damage from Bull Rush would not.

-M.

Anecdotal evidence ftw.

The Ponzzz
03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Fuck now I need to re buy padded shit...

Tea & Strumpets
03-19-2007, 10:26 AM

-M.

It's easy to get GM verification of common knowledge.

Fallen
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
You would be surprised, and your common knowledge isn't fact. A GM's common knowledge is.

Tea & Strumpets
03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
You would be surprised, and your common knowledge isn't fact. A GM's common knowledge is.

My only point was that the GM's post wasn't at all informative, and it's easy to get confirmation of well known game mechanics (like crit padding lessening the crit taken from maneuver attacks).

Fallen
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know. I thought Mestys coming out and saying for a fact that all maneuvers that offer crit damage CMAN and Critter based that Crit padding is a definite factor was quite nice. I understand you think it is a "duh" fact, but many people debate this fact. I like to know it is a lock that my armor helps.

Didn't mean to come off as smarmy. It might not have been a revalation, put it most certainly but an end to several long standing debates.

Danical
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
It might not have been a revalation, put it most certainly but an end to several long standing debates.

:yeahthat:

The debate has been going on for qutie some time T & S, asked on the boards numerous times, and this is the very first time a GM has come out and publicly answered a question regarding crit padding and manuevers.

Tea & Strumpets
03-19-2007, 04:54 PM
:yeahthat:

The debate has been going on for qutie some time T & S, asked on the boards numerous times, and this is the very first time a GM has come out and publicly answered a question regarding crit padding and manuevers.

I haven't played in a year, but I'm just confused about who was wondering if crit padding helped against maneuver attacks?

Crit padding isn't really that helpful against your standard AS/DS attack, but it's benefits are obvious when it comes to nearly every maneuver attack in the game. You can still die from bad rolls (usually hidden in the case of maneuvers), but with any kind of serious padding the benefits are obvious.

Isn't it still general knowledge that crit paddings only real use is against maneuver attacks?

On a side note, I could see how this info would be comforting if say... you had expensive crit padded armor, suffered some bad griffin falls, and wanted reassurance that this maneuver wasn't ignoring crit padding--but that's about it.

Nieninque
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I think the most comfort was gained from proving Latrinestorm wrong.

Just saying.

Fallen
03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Crit padding isn't really that helpful against your standard AS/DS attack, but it's benefits are obvious when it comes to nearly every maneuver attack in the game. You can still die from bad rolls (usually hidden in the case of maneuvers), but with any kind of serious padding the benefits are obvious. >>

Not true, in my opinion. With AS/DS attacks, if you are getting smashed for a 200+ endroll, crit padding can reduce the stun/crit considerably. Maybe not that big of a deal for those with redux, or in plate class armor, but certainly nice for pures.

Latrinsorm
03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I think the most comfort was gained from proving Latrinestorm wrong.

Just saying.Nothing I said was proven wrong, but I'm sure my amateur psychologist friend would have a lot to say about your perceptions of the matter.

Just saying. :)

Danical
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Just to be fair, I was sporting 8x ECP full plate for a while and I really couldn't see any benefit over my 4x full plate.

Nothing I said was proven wrong . . .

True. You weren't. You were a good scientist and remained skeptical. I commend you.

. . . but I'm sure my amateur psychologist friend would have a lot to say about your perceptions of the matter.

Side note . . . I hate you :(