PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it. I quit GSIII.

GS4Gurl
11-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Here is the copy of the reason why I canceled my account, since they ask why. I put this in the Character Complaints folder because it partly has to do with the actions of characters in the game today.

I have been playing GSIII since a year before the move to the web. How long has that been? I'm not sure but quite a while. The main reason I cancel my account now is that I no longer enjoy playing. Why? It has changed so much it isn't the same game I once fell in love with. I can bet my right arm you have had several letters just like the one I am writing now. Yet you still insist on making such drastic changes instead of simply just fixing the things that needed fixing.
Oh well. By the off chance someone is actually reading this, and may actually care. I will state my other reason for leaving. Which is, GemStoneIII has an overabundance of people constantly going ooc, so much it seems like nothing more than a fancy chat room. Then to make it worse, rather like a slap in the face, the "mentors" accept Augie the Queen of OOC as a mentor. Well, that told me right there there is no reason to stay. Even after becoming a mentor she continued her ooc behaviour. People HAVE writtin Mindra about this matter. I know because I am one of the people who wrote. Yet she claims no one has written her. Heh whateever. It's really sad what GS has become and now ooc people are going to teach newbies how to be like them.
Okay, there you have it. Do with it what you will.

~~Customer of seven or so years. I say Goodbye sincerely.~~

Now out of curiosity. How many of you have quit or know someone who has quit because GSIII has changed so much? Or quit because of certain characters ?

GS4Gurl
11-17-2003, 04:33 AM
Oh but no fear. I will still come here though. For the past year. I come here more than I play the game so why keep paying for something I no longer enjoy. I may log into the game once every few weeks. Yeah it was time to go.

BroVod
11-17-2003, 04:36 AM
Later

Ansherak
11-17-2003, 04:56 AM
I quit for a year or so because I was simply fed up with the game, the people inhabiting it and Simutronics itself.

Got talked into coming back and its been refreshing, though the charm of the game is probably never going to enamour me again.

I think many over the past 4 years feel the same as you do, looking at billing, from '99 until '03 is a pretty telling statement.

In '99 they had just over 24,000 accounts, in '03 that number has dropped to just over 14,000. Simutronics is hemorraging money and customers and they have a pretty large stake in the new releases of DR and GS, there cash cows are dying and they are trying to breath new life into them.

I just don't think under the current management structure they will be able to ultimately save the games, there vission of what the games should be, have lost touch with what the silent majority of the player base wants. I won't even go into Brauden and his lack of vision, he's a great coder, not much on the vision.

D-

SpunGirl
11-17-2003, 05:15 AM
I hate to see people quitting because of the OOC behavior of others.

If I could change some things about GS, it would be harsher consequences for saying OOC things and behaving in an OOC manner, cutting out players under age 18 by writing a letter to parents stating "please do not let your children play this game," and of course, banning Vif.

(On a sidenote, I heard Vif was carrying a red cotton rag around in her leggings last week. Really classy).

An environment where there are an abundance of people who make jokes regarding contemporary films, make disgusting remarks, marry themselves for alterations, and even a few staff members who don't care (though the majority of them do)... all of this degrades the environment.

It's sad to see anyone quit for this reason. Maybe someday it will change. One question, GS4, how can you log in every few weeks if you cancelled your accounts? I know you can browse the forums as a guest but I'm just curious. Also, I've heard lots of people say Plat is awesome, but I'm way to attatched to my prime char to start over, and I know other people feel that way too.

-K

GS4Gurl
11-17-2003, 05:57 AM
Thats why I canceled. I did the canceling just a few hours ago, because I only log in every few weeks, and for the other reasons.

Betheny
11-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the club, GS4Gurl.

I, for one, am just simply disgusted by t he amount of time I wasted in the game, and am really rather appalled that I was so addicted. It's sad that gs4 and the disgusting amount of bullshit I had to put up with for all the hard work I put into my character had to open my eyes to the fact that GS isn't worth it anymore.

Weedmage Princess
11-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
(On a sidenote, I heard Vif was carrying a red cotton rag around in her leggings last week. Really classy).
-K

I'm just wondering, cause I hear people complaining about her all the time...does anyone actually REPORT her when they see her doing stuff like that? That's just...friggin out there. What a dick.

Askip
11-17-2003, 09:43 AM
<< cutting out players under age 18 >>

That's doubtful, Simu would not decline the income.

Also, you need the opportunity to separate the wheat from the chaff. I am all for enforcing penalties for OOG, but there are plenty of youngsters willing to act maturally - one of the longer-term mentors started at 13 and became a mentor at 16. I know how some folks feel about the mentors, but I still feel the good outweighs the bad.

GS4Gurl, I hope you archived. Two or three years down the road, who knows what what changes may have taken place? Maybe even for the better? :D

If you decide not to come back to the game, good luck and safe journies on the roads you travel.

Betheny
11-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Odiscea got banned? That's awesome.

He came back? That sucks. Another example of a half-assed job done by some underpaid, overworked GMly type.

Quitter
11-17-2003, 10:09 AM
I did quit because of that, because of other reason, but mainly because of the changes.

I stop loving gs since gp3 actually

Back
11-17-2003, 10:10 AM
-K

Heh. I still have a leopard skin in my breeks that I would show people for a few laughs. I would also glance at something inside my breeks for fun and amusement. Granted, a red cotton rag is a bit nasty...

When I came back to GS earlier this year, having played back in 96-98, I knew what I was in for. The OOCness has always been around. When you can play and remain strictly IC, thats great. I enjoy it. But you also have to realize that it is just a game. ICness is a rationalization in an artificial world, with artifical laws. I think keeping this in mind can bring an extra dimension of humor to these on-line worlds. To realize that, yes, we are trying to make the world as believeable as possible, yet remember we are pulling strings on puppets who live in worlds of crazy physics. I suppose my take on it is to become imersed, but to go ahead and have fun with it. Like actors on a stage when someone screws up their lines its ok to laugh and say, ok, cut, lets do this again or try something different.

I quit again yesterday myself. Mainly because on-line gaming has eaten up most of my free time for over 7 years. Everything else that I am interested in has taken a back seat to gaming and I'm tired of it. It has occured to me that for 7 years I've lived in fantasy worlds, yet worlds not of my own creation. It has sapped an incredible about of creative energy from me with nothing I can really call mine, from a legal standpoint anyway.

Who knows, I may come back someday, preferably after I retire. For now though, I want my real life back.

Betheny
11-17-2003, 12:40 PM
BACKLASH, YOU'RE LEAVING ME?!

SpunGirl
11-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GS4Gurl
Thats why I canceled. I did the canceling just a few hours ago, because I only log in every few weeks, and for the other reasons.

I see, sorry, I thought you meant you would STILL log in every few weeks.

In reference to Vif, I reported her for the "the gate is opening in my leggings" remark, because it was in response to something I said and I actually heard it.

I didn't see the rag, just heard it through the grapevine.

-K

Soulpieced
11-17-2003, 03:13 PM
An extra 13 bucks a month from customer loyalty over the next 5 years (780 dollars) is worth a lot more to Simu (as it should) than the "general" player happiness.

Quitter
11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Good gurl

now get ffxi and join us on phoenix

Artha
11-17-2003, 05:52 PM
cutting out players under age 18

:( I'm under 18.

HarmNone
11-17-2003, 06:00 PM
For GSGurl and Backlash, I hope you find that leaving the game brings you that which you seek. If you are like me, you will find yourself thinking of returning now and then, and remembering the good times more than the bad ones. I have resisted the urge, as I do not feel the magic would be there for me anymore.

To those who remain, enjoy! It is a game, and a damned good one in most respects. As long as it entertains you, it is a wonderful world in which to live your fantasy life. :D

HarmNone

GS4Gurl
11-17-2003, 06:09 PM
The red rag is a bit gross. I do remember when the Skeletal (sp? heh) would drop those giant bones and guys thought it was cute to have one in their pants and show it to girls. The girls reactions would either be slapping, laughing, or rolling their eyes.

Ladyteeoncy
11-17-2003, 06:10 PM
I hate to see people quitting because of the OOC behavior of others.

If I could change some things about GS, it would be harsher consequences for saying OOC things and behaving in an OOC manner, cutting out players under age 18 by writing a letter to parents stating "please do not let your children play this game," and of course, banning Vif.

-K

I think that it totally unfair. I have been playing since I turned 10. My father gave me the account for my 10th birthday presant. And I will tell you somthing...when teeoncy was born she was taught to curtsie to the older ones and to give COMPLETE respect. There were a couple times my dad would turn from his computer and lecture me on how I didnt call someone over 50 "M'lord". People always thought I to be older. I was afraid most the time to tell my real age because all of a sudden you were dirt if you wernt old enough.

It is not the age that is bad.... It is the people teaching the new people. Dont blaim it on the age. Blaim it on people who sit back and watch the new people...the ones that influence the new people. Have you ever found a young person in the game and took them under your wing? Not just yelled at them for talking OOC but said hi. I would like to be your friend...have you befriended them and then spent weeks teaching them right or wrong? I very well doubt that half the people here havnt... Have I? Yes. My little brother.

And by god if they give you lip, you keep at them....be their friends...if you hassel someone and are nice to someone long enough you will befriend them, earn their respect, and will be able to begin to teach them!

-Sarah

Warriorbird
11-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Doesn't seem like your reasons were honest...or that you really quit over the changes. Which?

GS4Gurl
11-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Talking to me Warriorbird? Well, as I said there are many reasons I quit. The main reason being GS has changed so much I've basically lost interest and don't play much at all anymore. The second main reason is that its like a giant chat room now. :D

GS4Gurl
11-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Now that I think about it. I want to change my posting name from GS4Gurl to something else since I wont be playing GS4. Do I have to make a new account or can Kranar just change the name for me?

Ladyteeoncy
11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
I hated the little changes at first... but now i like them...im sure I'll hate these changes at first too.. people dont like change when they are familiar with somthing.

CrystalTears
11-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Yep, no one likes change, and I wish people would give the game a chance and not go strictly on what's going on until how you see it affect your character, but I can understand those who don't want to. Sure it means adjusting, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out better than people thought it could be. (Yes sometimes I can really be an optomist.)

This is why I haven't left yet because I'm willing to give it a chance to prove me wrong. If it doesn't, however, sure I'll quit. But it just seems rather premature to quit over a game I haven't played yet. My fiance has been playing this game since about 95 or so and he hasn't bothered to read anything going on with the changes and is just going with the flow. He has me and his friends to help with the reallocation because he doesn't want to worry about it. When it's time to change over, he'll reallocate and adjust. He said this isn't the first time they make sweeping changes to the game, certainly won't be the last. If he doesn't like it, he'll quit, if not he'll keep playing. And if someone who's been playing that long, despite the problems Simu has caused to it's players, is willing to give them a try, I am too. My fiance wouldn't steer me wrong. ;)

Ladyteeoncy
11-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Well said!

Myrianna
11-17-2003, 08:28 PM
[i]Originally posted by CrystalTears

My fiance has been playing this game since about 95 or so and he hasn't bothered to read anything going on with the changes and is just going with the flow.

I was starting to think I was the only one that didn't bother to read anything about them...

SpunGirl
11-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Hm, maybe it isn't fair to "ban" players under 18. After all, that would be practically unenforceable.

Maybe it would be better if Simu retracted its letter to parents that is basically a bunch of hogwash, and said, "this is the reality of the game. If you want to let your kids play it, you've been warned."

Parents like Teeoncy's dad were clearly well informed enough to make their own decision. But I have to ask, T, what if some guy had taken your 10-year old self to his house or an Inn room and started trying to cyber? It's the fear of this happening to their kids, I think, that would keep most parents at bay. Not saying they shouldn't watch kids that age like a hawk at the computer, but it's what I'd worry about.

-K

Ladyteeoncy
11-17-2003, 10:19 PM
I totally agree with you... Hell no i wouldnt let my kid play gemstone till like....hmm...probably... 16.

Quitter
11-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I CAN REMOVE THAT FEELING YOU ALL HAVE

GEMSTONE WON'T BE THERE WHEN YOUR KID WILL BE 13!

Send your thanks to me

Seriously, in 201X, who would want to play that crap game still?

enough is enough!

GSLeloo
11-17-2003, 10:24 PM
It'll be GS50!

Quitter
11-17-2003, 10:26 PM
all hardcord players will be elders in those time

have to say it :P

SpunGirl
11-17-2003, 10:26 PM
And home storage will be promised RSN. The sorcerer spell list might be finished, too. Ha-ha.

-K

Quitter
11-17-2003, 10:29 PM
They'll close the computer and run off with the money with an annoncement like that:

you guys paid us 12,95 per head and now we're fucking millionaires, ALL FU

yours trully

David and Melissa (aka Warclaidhm and Lisu)

Snapp
11-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Quitter

yours trully

David and Melissa (aka Warclaidhm and Lisu)

Have to say that made me laugh. :lol:

Weedmage Princess
11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
LMAO Quitter

SpunGirl
11-24-2003, 03:05 AM
GS4Gurl/Chelle, did you sell your characters?

-K

Chelle
11-24-2003, 04:28 AM
Nope didnt sell them. My character is too young to get much anyway. My account is canceled but it won't be gone completely till the 25th cus thats when my billing cycle ends. So I get to check out GS4 for a little while. I have to say, I miss GS3. However, I have enjoyed stealing in your Park, Parkbandit. My lil rogue is alright for being so very young. :D

SpunGirl
11-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Heh, I saw one of your girls die last night, that's why I asked. Rah rah for not selling characters!

-K

Chelle
11-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Yes she was murdered for stealing 35 silvers from a guy. Hehehe oh well.

Jenisi
11-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I don't have the time to play anymore. And it's not worth paying for it either.

SpunGirl
11-24-2003, 05:00 PM
But Jenisi, you had the coolest clothes!

-K

Des ka
11-24-2003, 11:16 PM
You quit!

Awesome, one less player of this mind-craving addictive plaque.

Warclaidhm is presumptuous. So is Tsin and ... Ardwen!

-Impressing you with this frivolous speech!

Xcalibur
11-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Warclaidhm, quit and go flirt girls

You'll find that it's fun to use your thing beside pissing

[Edited on 25-11-03 by Xcalibur]

Des ka
11-24-2003, 11:34 PM
You Stupid french kid who doesnt know english well!

tee hee

Xcalibur
11-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Des ka
You Stupid french kid who doesnt know english well!

tee hee

I think you read too much posts from graysalin and strayrogue while you, yourself, doesn't use english well

And i am not a kid

p.s. go get laid still, it will help you understand life.

[Edited on 25-11-03 by Xcalibur]

StrayRogue
11-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Yes he is Warclaidhm.

Snapp
11-25-2003, 12:00 AM
I got all excited when I saw Warclaid posted in this topic.. silly me!

11-25-2003, 12:35 AM
You are wayyy too optimistic Snapp.

Xcalibur
11-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Warclaidhm should be ashamed to try to developpe his personality with this forum, man...

Keep being yourself, don't try to mimic anyone my little friend (that is overweighted)