PDA

View Full Version : Captain America Killed Off in Latest Comic

zhelas
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
NEW YORK — One of America's most patriotic superheroes has died.

Marvel Entertainment killed off its oldest character, Captain America, in a comic book that hits stands Wednesday.

In "Captain America No. 25," the former World War II soldier is gunned down on the steps of a courthouse by a sniper's bullet, a victim of a war on terror.

"We've had deaths in the Universe, but with Cap being our oldest character, it gives it a little more resonance," Dan Buckley, the president and publisher of Marvel Entertainment's publishing group, told FOXNews.com.

The decision has already angered the character's creator, Joe Simon, who told the New York Daily News that the death comes at a time when "we really need him now."

Captain America's death "doesn't mean patriotism is dead," Buckley said, explaining that while the man in the costume died in this latest story, the ideals of Captain America did not.

In the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Captain America embodied the psyche of the Greatest Generation, standing as a pillar of morality and honesty, and doing the right thing at the right time, Buckley said.

In the comic's lore, this hero was born Steve Rogers on Independence Day, 1917, in New York's Lower East Side. Growing up a scrawny illustrator, Rogers enlists in the U.S. Army, where medical testing turns him into a super soldier against the Nazis.

"Then he was put in a deep freeze, and he was re-awoken in a different time," Buckley said. "So he's always felt a little misplaced, but he kind of represents the Greatest Generation."

The storyline was hatched last March, when writers pitted superheroes against one another in a war over civil liberties that began with the U.S. government requiring the comic crusaders to register their secret identities.

"He sacrifices himself to save someone else, so it really stood up to the ideals that he stood for all along," Buckley said.

It's not the first time a major comic book hero has been killed. DC Comics killed off Superman in a 1993 storyline.

Despite Captain America's demise, Marvel Entertainment plans to continue marketing its Captain action figures and the superhero will still be available for public appearances. And they haven't ruled out his return ... someday.

"Everything is possible in the world of make-believe," Buckley said.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,257398,00.html

I was always really a Batman fan but I did read comics with Captain America when I was a kid.

Seems to me that this is a marketing ploy. And they will probably bring him back in the future. However he will be different.

zhelas
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/267901/3_61_captain_america.jpg

Kitsun
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Wow. Thats pretty freaking lame. I didn't really imagine they'd continue the storyline with him in prison after the Civil War arc but sniper kill is really, really lame. He should've gone down fighting.

I really hope they don't clone him. For god's sake stop with the cloned heroes.

TheEschaton
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I fucking wept when Superman died.

I think it had something to do with being 12 at the time.

-TheE-

StrayRogue
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, big Superman/Batman ripoff to get a few extra comics of the stands. The entire storyline where they have to register their identities is totally stolen from Watchmen also.

Landrion
03-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah really, theres like maybe two characters in all of comicdom that have actually stayed dead. The Superman one really wore it out.

TheEschaton
03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Dead characters don't bring home the cheddah.

I keep waiting for Batman to die. He's the only one who's actually like fully human, no mutants, no super soldier serums, no alien from the planet krypton....yet the dude never gets capped. Cause he's badass.

-TheE-

Fallen
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I liked the Batman beyond series, where it showed B. Wayne as old and used up, but still trying to continue the fight. Batman is a badass.

Landrion
03-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Dead characters don't bring home the cheddah.

I keep waiting for Batman to die. He's the only one who's actually like fully human, no mutants, no super soldier serums, no alien from the planet krypton....yet the dude never gets capped. Cause he's badass.

-TheE-

No doubt about the cheddar.

The thing they tend to do with normal humans like that (been done several times with the punisher) is retcon their history to make them born later and later to keep them young enough for the audience. The punisher for example was originally concieved as a vietnam vet and has been moved up since then.

And yeah, batman beyond was cool.

StrayRogue
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Batman has died before. He died of a heart attack while beating the ever living shit out of Superman.

zhelas
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Batman is very cool! The best thing about him is he is human. It was a sad day when Bane broke Batman's back.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/Bane4s.png/250px-Bane4s.pnghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c1/Batman497.png/180px-Batman497.png

That should never have happened.

StrayRogue
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
The Knightfall arc was one of the best, in my opinion. It certainly drew me back to a somewhat waning line. I can't remember if it came before Superman's death. Either way, both storylines, which generated massive fan support and publicity obviously provided the genus behind ol' Cap's demise.

Sean of the Thread
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
BATMAN 4 LIFE

zhelas
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
The Knightfall arc was one of the best, in my opinion. It certainly drew me back to a somewhat waning line. I can't remember if it came before Superman's death. Either way, both storylines, which generated massive fan support and publicity obviously provided the genus behind ol' Cap's demise.

Can't remember either but I know they were close. I bought both series when they came out. It turned out to be one of the best marketing ploys that DC came out for their main stay heroes.

Superman was just to impervious to everything. I think they had a hard time coming up with villians to fight him. With him less powerful it was easier to create new story lines.

Batman: Personally I didn't like the new batman that appeared in Knightquest
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/Det667.jpg/180px-Det667.jpg

Stanley Burrell
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I hope Bruce Wayne was the sniper.

He'd be all, "WHERE'S YOUR ADAMANTIUM SHIELD NOW, BEOTCH?!" "SONAR SNIPE, COMMENCE."

Pew, pew, BAM, ZOT! Sock-o! Whiff! GAG! SMELLY!

Dunno.

StrayRogue
03-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Heh, that was one of the draws for me. Azrael looked so awesome. Very ninties with the edges and the claws. I personally preferred the No Man's Land arc, for Batman. Doomsday with Superman just sucked. The entire thing was very shoddily handled from the outset, and they've made a mockery of "Superman's killer" in the comics ever since.

But then I never really liked Superman. As you said, he's invulnerable. He's also a typical do-gooder. Very yawn.

Landrion
03-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Batman has died before. He died of a heart attack while beating the ever living shit out of Superman.

Frank Miller, great shit. Not really part of the character's continuity though. Thats more like an elseworlds.

StrayRogue
Agreed. Still always make me smile thinking of him pwning the man of steel.

zhelas
But then I never really liked Superman. As you said, he's invulnerable. He's also a typical do-gooder. Very yawn.

:yeahthat:

zhelas
03-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Frank Miller, great shit. Not really part of the character's continuity though. Thats more like an elseworlds.

Wasn't that The Dark Knight Returns mini series? I think Bruce Wayne was an old man during that storyline.

StrayRogue
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
He is. It's a sort of future setting. Batman's identity has been revealed, and Bruce Wayne has officially retired. Superman is a corporate shill for the American Government. It's all very dark and V for Vendetta.

zhelas
03-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I hope Bruce Wayne was the sniper.

He'd be all, "WHERE'S YOUR ADAMANTIUM SHIELD NOW, BEOTCH?!" "SONAR SNIPE, COMMENCE."

Pew, pew, BAM, ZOT! Sock-o! Whiff! GAG! SMELLY!

Dunno.

Atleast he wasn't spooned on a plane.

Stunseed
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
He is. It's a sort of future setting. Batman's identity has been revealed, and Bruce Wayne has officially retired. Superman is a corporate shill for the American Government. It's all very dark and V for Vendetta.

This makes me want more Batman Beyond.

Skeeter
03-07-2007, 04:06 PM
I believe there were quite a few mutants killed over the years. Only popular one I can think of off hand was Colossos' sister.

I haven't read comics in years though. Kind of miss them from time to time :(

DCSL
03-07-2007, 04:21 PM
i'll admit it. i never really liked captain america. his head always disturbed me visually. the only time i like him is in toyfare magazine's twisted toyfare theater. oh, and the 'truth: red, white, and black' storyline.

my favorite hero death was blink. silly minor character who died off quickly but then had a huuuuuuuuge following for years after. until they brought her back in exiles. or maybe it was just me that thought that title sucked after a dozen issues.

Sean
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
"Batman has died before. He died of a heart attack while beating the ever living shit out of Superman."

I thought he really survived though. I thought at the end he was underground with the mutants going over plans. Unless I'm thinking of another story line which is entirely possible. I was more of an Image/Marvel guy I never really cared much for DC

Landrion
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Wasn't that The Dark Knight Returns mini series? I think Bruce Wayne was an old man during that storyline.

Yes, Im thinking of this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-MILLER-BATMAN-1st-edition-HARD-COVER-book_W0QQitemZ120093190534QQihZ002QQcategoryZ99952 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(couldnt find that cover on Amazon).

Great story. Highest reccomendation.

Stanley Burrell
03-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Props on the Av', Stray :yes:

That bitch got bitch-slapped. And then some. By sugar-coated Doomsday. Such a punk.

Skeeter
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Deadpool was the greatest hero/villian ever.

Stanley Burrell
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Don't forget rapper/celebrity entepreneur MF Doom as the Vaudeville Villain (We all know you wouldn't dare.)

Drew2
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Props on the Av', Stray :yes:

Good god, I thought the seizure thing would never go away. But I knew if I complained, for him that would be motivation to keep it up.

DCSL
03-07-2007, 04:41 PM
skeeter, your avatar iz awesome. domino is one hot bitch and the only reason i ever read any comic with cable in it.. he's so fucking annoying, i don't know what she sees in him.

Latrinsorm
03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I believe there were quite a few mutants killed over the years. Only popular one I can think of off hand was Colossos' sister.Colossus himself died (heroically), as did Psylocke and Multiple Man. I know Psylocke and Colossus made a full recovery, and I'm pretty sure Multiple Man came back too. This is why Colossus is CHIEF COMRADE of my heart. :heart:

radamanthys
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm a sad panda.

Sean of the Thread
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
How do you make a full recovery from dying short of being Jesus?

Daniel
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
The same way you turn your skin into solid steel

Skeeter
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
How do you make a full recovery from dying short of being Jesus?

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A Newt?!?"

"I got bettah."

radamanthys
03-07-2007, 08:17 PM
SHIELD freezes him again and his super-soldier serum allows his body to recover slowly. Nick Fury and Dum Dum occasionally chip off pieces for their scotch.

I have a pic of cap holding the flag up in my room. Also have a plush next to one of my plush Homies (the pastor in sunglasses).

Goddamn, I have to go get this volume tomorrow. This is like, crisis magnitude. Cap was like, one of my childhood heroes.

Skeeter
03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
http://suicidehotlines.com/

Stretch
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
He was always one of the worst characters in video games.

Meh.

Latrinsorm
03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
How do you make a full recovery from dying short of being Jesus?I'm only familiar with the mechanics pf Psylocke's recovery: You go through a magical thingie and turn into an Asian ninja, essentially the same thing Our Lord Ninja Savior did. Ironically, Colossus went through the magic thingie with Psylocke, but he wasn't dead and got amnesia. It doesn't make any sense, but don't worry about it. It's the modern equivalent of a folk tale, not a God damn Oxy Clean commercial.

radamanthys
03-07-2007, 08:37 PM
I was being overzealous... I meant that it's just big news in my world :-p

Kitsun
03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I can't believe copies are already selling on Ebay for like $60 bucks for a pair of the alternate covers.

Didn't anyone learn from Superman's death and the 20 cent copies?

Back
03-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Cap has been a soldier since WWII.

America weeps.

Snapp
03-08-2007, 12:28 AM
I believe there were quite a few mutants killed over the years. Only popular one I can think of off hand was Colossos' sister.

Magik was bad ass!

my favorite hero death was blink. silly minor character who died off quickly but then had a huuuuuuuuge following for years after. until they brought her back in exiles. or maybe it was just me that thought that title sucked after a dozen issues.

Yeah, Exiles did suck in the beginning, but it's gotten better, imo, and I got kinda hooked on it (plus they added Psylocke to the team :heart:)

And as for the topic... good riddance. I can't stand Captain America.

Latrinsorm
03-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Holy crap, HI DEX!!! Good to see you posting!!

StrayRogue
03-08-2007, 02:37 AM
"Batman has died before. He died of a heart attack while beating the ever living shit out of Superman."

I thought he really survived though. I thought at the end he was underground with the mutants going over plans. Unless I'm thinking of another story line which is entirely possible. I was more of an Image/Marvel guy I never really cared much for DC

Well he technically does die. He's even buried. It was down to him taking this drug that basically stopped his heart, killing him, which then restarts it day's later (ironically at the funeral). The battered Clark Kent in attendance even hears it, though says nothing. Batman is then uncovered by the new robin, and forms his underground army.