PDA

View Full Version : News War

Back
02-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Frontline (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/) on PBS is running a series called News War. It discusses the ways journalism in America is changing in a post 9/11 internet saturated world.

Back in the day it used to be newspapers who had reporters all around the world bringing in the stories. Today only three newspapers have reporters on the ground in Iraq 24/7. The New York Times, The Washington Post and The L.A. Times. USA Today flies in and out.

Stanley Burrell
02-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Depending on how badly they call out journalism inadequacies, PBS has some big balls that are going to be noticed in the bed they sleep in with most news gathering agencies.

Back
02-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Depending on how badly they call out journalism inadequacies, PBS has some big balls that are going to be noticed in the bed they sleep in with most news gathering agencies.

Yeah, there is some sniping in the interviews but thats good if it gets journalists to reexamine their profession in this modern world.

What is astounding to me is how short the time frame from event to report is shrinking rapidly. We can know about something happening just about anywhere in the world within less than 24 hours.

Anyway, this is a better link to the Frontline: News War (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newswar/view/) series. All viewable in their entirety on-line.

Artha
02-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I think an unfortunate side-effect is that when there's no news, stupid stories get blown out of all proportion just so that there's something to cover. See: Anna Nicole Smith.

Skeeter
02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
It's amazing to me how journalists prey on fears to sell papers.

Everything is a tradgedy, crisis, calamaity, impending doom, etc. 20 years ago you almost never heard those words reported. Today they're thrown around like nothing.

Gan
02-28-2007, 12:10 PM
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something, something I can use
People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

Well, I could've been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

We got the bubbleheaded bleach-blonde, comes on at 5
She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet?
You know the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set, we need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone, keep your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're stiff, kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
Love to cut you down to size, we love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing
When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry

-Don Henley

Parkbandit
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
It's amazing to me how journalists prey on fears to sell papers.

Everything is a tradgedy, crisis, calamaity, impending doom, etc. 20 years ago you almost never heard those words reported. Today they're thrown around like nothing.

GLOBAL WARMING!!!!

OZONE!!!!!

GREENHOUSE GAS!!!!!

ACID RAIN!!!!!!

Hahahahahaha

Keller
02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
GLOBAL WARMING!!!!

OZONE!!!!!

GREENHOUSE GAS!!!!!

ACID RAIN!!!!!!

Hahahahahaha

Here's my point, and I don't want it to be missed.

REFUCKINGGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE EARTH IS HEATING UP B/C OF HUMAN SOURCES OR B/C THE EARTH IS CYCLICAL, IT'S HAPPENING.

Now, what do we do about it? In the words of Zack de la Rocha, "If we settle for nothing now, we settle for nothing later."

Back
02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Dang ya’lls are some jaded and bitter m'er f'ers.

Parkbandit
02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Here's my point, and I don't want it to be missed.

REFUCKINGGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE EARTH IS HEATING UP B/C OF HUMAN SOURCES OR B/C THE EARTH IS CYCLICAL, IT'S HAPPENING.

Now, what do we do about it? In the words of Zack de la Rocha, "If we settle for nothing now, we settle for nothing later."

If it's because the earth has cyclical weather.. which has been shown to be the case over the history of this planet... you think we should somehow change this?

If it's because of the human addition to less than 1% of the total CO2 output that is naturally causing.. then reduce your carbon footprint.. either by actually conserving, or by buying carbon offsets.. because that's exactly the same thing.

Oh, and for the really, really stupid liberals that actually have money out there.. here's a site that you can pay a carbon tax to help you sleep at night.

http://www.terrapass.com

I'm so pissed that I didn't come up with this first.

Hulkein
02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
In the words of Zack de la Rocha, "If we settle for nothing now, we settle for nothing later."

In the words of me, Fuck Zack de la Rocha and Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Back
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
For anyone paying attention, I promise you, the Frontline News War series is far more entertaining, existential, and educational than this thread.

The only thing it has in common with this thread is its free!

Keller
02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
PB -- there are plenty of people coming up with plans of how to Geo-engineer a thermostat for the planet. That's how you solve the cyclical temperature swings.

And the carbon tax should be implemented no matter what. There are massive unaccounted negative externalities world-wide, the only way to correct for them is through implementing a carbon tax to make the carbon users feel the true price of their use.