PDA

View Full Version : Races in the minority

Back
11-15-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm going be straight forward with this and I am caucasion.

I recently went to a place that is usually caucasion, but the night I went, there was an event that brought the black brothers and chicks.

Now, let me just say, I have had very close friends of all races, and I have been in many situations like that before, on my own and never had any problems.

As a caucasion I felt some amount of... inferiority? Like not really being 'in' with the 'in crowd'? I mean, everyone was polite... guys and girls...

So, I ask anyone who has felt they were in the minority, what was it like for you? I know for myself, I like to seeing things from what I can only imagine is the other side.

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 10:04 PM
When I'm in a place where I'm racially in the minority, I always feel like I somehow have to be extra friendly in order to prove I'm not racist. I don't know why.

-K

Betheny
11-15-2003, 10:07 PM
I know that feeling.

The neighborhood I work in, if I don't 'dress up' for work, people treat me like shit. Have to go in looking like a rich girl or they'll shriek at you when you lay down the law.

I doubt it's race-based, it's more of a clique thing.

StrayRogue
11-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Its something that is occuring alot more in the UK each day. As its damn easy to gain asylum here these days (its only now we are cracking down), definate little groups, area's of minorities are emerging, especially in the Asian community. While I am fine with this, being one for multi-culturalism etc I do feel that there is a definate..."I'll stick to my own" kind of mentality. Perhaps its fear, or mis-understanding, I don't know.

However, as there always will be, hate will rise; Bradford last year was beset with race riots as Asian gangs beat up a group of white kids. This of course breeds more hate and mis-trust.

To conclude, while I feel I am non-rascist, I know I'd feel uncomfortable walking into a bar full of say black people and no white people. Its a shame, but its a truth.

Betheny
11-15-2003, 10:13 PM
It's a by-product of the years of segregation, racism, and hate that was born of our forefathers.

HarmNone
11-15-2003, 10:16 PM
I grew up as an "international brat" in a number of foreign countries. After awhile, living this life, you become more international in your thinking, I guess. I do not find myself uncomfortable in situations where I, as a caucasian woman, am in the minority.

I guess it is a matter of to what one becomes accustomed. :)

HarmNone, citizen of the world

Edaarin
11-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Race is something my buddies and I always rip on each other about. We're not serious, we don't mean most of the shit we say, it's all in good fun. The ones that get offended are generally upper middle class white people for some reason.

StrayRogue
11-15-2003, 10:32 PM
We have that too Edaarin. My black friends and I are very liberal in the use of racial slang. Its definately daunting for "outsiders" of our group of friends to come and listen to us ;)

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 10:33 PM
I always walk on egg shells because i dont want to offend anyone... or be extra nice like someone else stated...

I saw a sign that said candles for sale... well my room is lavender and white... so I was like maybe they will have some cool white candles! well I go over there and an african american girl about 22 was looking at them...and the candles were mostly black and there were some red. And i muttered to myself about "oh...they arent white..." cause i wanted white candles you know...anyways the girl turned around and slapped me! right in walmart! I just stood their stunned while she walked away.

Since then...I am always very very careful what i say. Hell i wish i was black! Think of how much time i would save laying in the sun to tan! I think black women are very pretty! and the guys...oh baby oh baby!

Edaarin
11-15-2003, 10:37 PM
The one thing my roommate could never get me to do was use the n-word. I just never felt comfortable with it, and that's saying something coming from a guy who once told him there was a cotton gin with his name on it in Alabama.

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 10:41 PM
She slapped you in the middle of wal-mart?

-K

11-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Ladyteeoncy
I think black women are very pretty! and the guys...oh baby oh baby!

Black men love you too.

11-15-2003, 10:56 PM
On topic: I've lived a pretty diverse life. I've lived for a couple years in the projects and i've lived in Hyde park. The predominatyly upper class (white) neighborhood on the south side of chicago. Therefore, werever i go i'm pretty comfortable.

There are times when people look at me weird but i draw off that. If its obvious somebody doesn't like my presence because of pre conceived notion, then i go out of my way to make them uncomfortable.

Weedmage Princess
11-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Hmm..it depends for me.

In all honesty, I don't like it when I'm around any "one" predominant race. I feel most comfortable when there's a mixture of different people around..the vibe is just better for me like that...this is assuming of course, I'm somewhere like a store or something by myself, not with a group of friends or anything.

Teeoncy, you should have picked up a candle and threw it at the back of her head.

11-15-2003, 11:15 PM
[i]
Teeoncy, you should have picked up a candle and threw it at the back of her head.

So we could all watch the ensuing cat fight on the security cams on fox one day.

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Yes right in wal-mart... I was very embarressed...

Ok this is a little...forward of me... And im sure no one wants to hear it...but I've always wanted to be with a black man.

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Just any black man?

There are men of all races I've found attractive, but I've never felt the desire just because someone was of that race.

-K

11-15-2003, 11:25 PM
hey don't knock the girl Spungirl. Theres nothing wrong with that. So i might be alittle biased. So what :P

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Hmmm... I am very attracted to Black men... But I guess that there are some white men that i'd pick over black...oh and hawiian....ohhh yes... ok i admitt it...I like any guy!

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 11:29 PM
I knew a bunch of guys in college who were from Hawaii and hot-hot-hot. I also find tall guys very attractive, and men with dark hair.

Goes to figure I would have married a short blond guy!

-K

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:32 PM
I looove tall guys... I supposed if i loved a guy enough i could deal with him being short...But i have a problem with guys who are shorter then me at first

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I had to wear ballet flats at my wedding so I wouldn't be taller, because my husband is like 1'' taller than me.

-K

I hate being tall. It sucks.

HarmNone
A man's race, hair color, height, body build...all those incidentals mean nothing if he does not know how to treat a woman. ;)

HarmNone likes a man who knows what to do with what he has

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 11:39 PM
There you go, Teeoncy, your fantasy fulfilled!

-K

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:40 PM
ooo baby ooo baby! Now i just need to know how far away you are!

Snapp
I'm with Weedmage, I'd prefer a mixture of people.. I'm uncomfortable if there's just 1 race around me.

SpunGirl
Who are you, and where is HarmNone?

You have said "shit" today, called someone stupid, said you didn't like two people, and have now made a vague reference to sex.

The Pagan Nun is going bonkers~!

-K, loving it.

To elaborate. It FUCKING sucks hitting your head on things, and then because i'm tall and black everybody ALWAYS says, Man i bet you play basketball. Then theres the geniuses who always ask me "Hey, has anybody ever told you that your tall" NO SHIT. Then theres the fact that finding clothes is hard as hell. I didn't have a problem back in chicago cause everybody wears XXXL anyway but out here in WA its like finding the Limberg baby to find anything bigger than XL which makes me look like a retard or that my mother dresses me.

11-15-2003, 11:42 PM
No i'm not bitter.

Snapp
11-15-2003, 11:42 PM
As for being tall, I feel your pain RangerD. I hate being taller then everyone at work, I swear they're all midgets or something.

11-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Yea i was freakin cursed. Both my mom is 6'3 and my dad is 6'4. I mean i don't want to be amidget but i woulda just been happy with 6'0 6'1. Then i'd still be "Tall" but i wouldn't be like towering over people.

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Hey he's even in the same state as me!

HarmNone
11-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
Who are you, and where is HarmNone?

You have said "shit" today, called someone stupid, said you didn't like two people, and have now made a vague reference to sex.

The Pagan Nun is going bonkers~!

-K, loving it.

Heh. Well, I did not exactly call someone stupid. I did, however, say that what that someone did was stupid...and, it WAS!

I said "shit" once before. You must have missed it. ;)

And...I am Pagan, dammit! If we cannot find someone we do not like, who in the hell are we supposed to sacrifice, eh? Friends? I do not think so! :lol:

HarmNone is NOT all that damned sweet!

Drew2
11-15-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm a freak. I am THE tallest person in my family. Well my mexican family. My white family has someone as tall as me, maybe a little taller, but it's ridiculous. I go to my mexican family events and everyone is like OMG UR TALL!!!111 And I'm like OMG R U SERIOUS?1/!1?

HarmNone
11-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Now...with regard to sex...there is nothing whatsoever vague about my attitude toward sex. I am all for it. It is a Very Good Thing!

HarmNone is clearing up any misconceptions :D

11-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey he's even in the same state as me!

Yea i'm on Ft lewis, just south of tacoma.

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Oh, my god. This is like when my Aunt told me it was good for her health to be having sex again after her divorce.

Not that you're old, HarmNone, but you're on a bit of a pedestal.

-K

Drew2
11-15-2003, 11:50 PM
"...you scan the credits for your name, and wonder why it's not there." -AM

That is so 1998

Latrinsorm
11-15-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
I'm a freak. I am THE tallest person in my family. Well my mexican family. My white family has someone as tall as me, maybe a little taller, but it's ridiculous. I go to my mexican family events and everyone is like OMG UR TALL!!!111 And I'm like OMG R U SERIOUS?1/!1?

I bet it really bothers you when someone shouts something then says "One one one" at the end. That would peeve me to no end. Maybe it's a texas thing. You could help yourself out by going barefoot. That's what I had to do sometimes, but then I'm not that tall.

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Yeah i drive by there all the time...

I am like 5'7 so i am happy with my height...

Weedmage Princess
11-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
I'm with Weedmage, I'd prefer a mixture of people.. I'm uncomfortable if there's just 1 race around me.

:thumbsup:

Oh and by the way, no not to watch the catfight on security cameras...if she got one of those big candles and threw it hard enough, she should have knocked her out.

11-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Either way it would have been on Fox :)

I'm sorry Teeoncy i'd never willingly subject anybody to this horrid place.

HarmNone
Originally posted by SpunGirl
Oh, my god. This is like when my Aunt told me it was good for her health to be having sex again after her divorce.

Not that you're old, HarmNone, but you're on a bit of a pedestal.

-K

::HarmNone glances down, then goes to work on that pedestal with her Pickaxe of Ultimate Doom:: :D

Sean
weedmage is too old to get a good candle lob ..

Drew2
11-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Funny thing is -- I'm a 6'2" MEXICAN. MEXICANS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SHORT LITTLE MEN WITH SOMBRAROS AND SAYING "YIYIYIYeeee!"

SpunGirl
11-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Teeoncy and Ranger are going to get it on.

Bow chica-chica-bow-booooooooooooooooow (naughty music)

-K

11-15-2003, 11:57 PM
LMAO You shoulda found a wav and added it for more comedic effect.

Ladyteeoncy
11-15-2003, 11:58 PM
he couldnt handle me!

11-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

Snapp
11-16-2003, 12:01 AM
Has Kranar installed that "Hookup for sex" chatroom yet?

SpunGirl
11-16-2003, 12:03 AM
We are in the chat right now, discussing the getting it on of Ranger and Teeoncy.

-K

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:05 AM
Naw I make the guy atleast take me out for coffee first!

Or you know...few dollars here...a car there... Just playing!:lol:

11-16-2003, 12:05 AM
Man, you just made me discover the chat room

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Made US!

11-16-2003, 12:11 AM
I don't see you. You sure you discovered it? :P

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:13 AM
hmmm... Look a few miles south.... you will see me! ::;waves::: see me yet?

Back
11-16-2003, 12:14 AM
::feels all warm and fuzzy that this topic has brought people together::

Bow, chik a bow bow!

11-16-2003, 12:15 AM
um...no...

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:23 AM
mmm...your loss

11-16-2003, 12:27 AM
I was talking to backlash don't get defensive lol

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:28 AM
aww so it hasnt brought us together...what am i doing in your bed then? :lol:

11-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Um..i think your lost :) my bed has nothing on it right now.

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:31 AM
lol ok i give up your totally un-workable

11-16-2003, 12:33 AM
lol okay. i'm sorry

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:35 AM
I just met a Gemstoner last week actually. Was very interesting and fun.

11-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Who?

Back
11-16-2003, 12:45 AM
Pardon me... and I haven't done this in a long time...

ralph

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Hmm... I dont think I will say his name... wouldnt be very respectful to him... He's a sorcerer around the EN's

Back
11-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Ya know... not to be an ass or anything? But seems like you two could take this, you know, private? But then, I can be an ass.

Ravenstorm
11-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Tijay
weedmage is too old to get a good candle lob ..

I just wanted to share that I read that at first as 'a good candle job'. The images it evoked were not pretty. Damn you.

Raven

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Dont feel bad Raven, thats what i thought too.

Weedmage Princess
11-16-2003, 12:55 AM
OH THAT'S JUST GROSS

11-16-2003, 12:56 AM
You said it. Don't get mad at us.

Weedmage Princess
11-16-2003, 01:00 AM
*I* didn't say anything. I just said she should throw the candle at the back of the chick's head!

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 01:01 AM
thats what came out of your mouth...but.....

11-16-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
I just said she should throw the candle at the back of the chick's head!

So you admit it!

Ben
11-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by LadyteeoncyI've always wanted to be with a black man.

Maybe thats because everywhere you look its "COOL" to race mix. If you watch MTV you are literally brainwashed to be attracted to a member of a different race.
They've even released a new barbie line called "Flavas" who are little wannabe black white barbies with negroid boyfriends. How cute. It'll be so neat once racism is dead and everyone is one disgusting coffee color and whites are no longer a threat to the jewish run media.
Have a good time abandoning your culture and heritage because you think blacks guys are hot. That post seriously made me sick.

Drew2
11-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Everyone disregard the post before this.

It will save us all a headache and 13 more pages of posts.

Please continue like it didn't happen.

Weedmage Princess
11-16-2003, 02:03 AM
You'll have to forgive Ben, ladies and gentlemen...he's just throwing a hissy fit cause Teeoncy wants RangerD1 and not him.

[Edited on 11-16-2003 by Weedmage Princess]

Edaarin
11-16-2003, 02:07 AM
I'll leave this open for now....

...but let's not have an all out shit fest over it. Ben...tone it down a little if you get any responses?

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 02:27 AM
you know what... I think i have carried myself very well... I dont get mad at people because i dont care what they think... I havnt cussed... I have carried myself pretty good since it doesnt matter to me the outcome... But I have 4 words for you ben...

WHAT A FUCKING PRICK

LordSagan
11-16-2003, 02:33 AM
I love people who posture for the beliefs they envision for themselves in real life while on the internet.

I think I've seen every type of wannabe now..."Internet Skinhead" was something I never thought I'd see.

Sean
11-16-2003, 02:35 AM
i guess this would be a good time as "negroid" to confess my profound love for white women...

especially barbie doll types you know hour glass figure big rack blonde hair blue eyes. they are my favorite

but thats okay because im coffee colored and have jewish heritage. so uh if any of you hot white ladies would like some mocca colored babies drop a me a u2u with your stats

[Edited on 11-16-2003 by Tijay]

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 02:38 AM
I wish i was a moca baby...think of the sweet tan...am i obsessed with tans or what?

Sean
11-16-2003, 03:01 AM
oh? you want some tan in ya eh? u2u me your stats and well start negotiations!

Back
11-16-2003, 03:07 AM
I wish i was a moca baby...think of the sweet tan...am i obsessed with tans or what?

The Sun, while being one of the reasons we have life on this planet, will wrinkle and dry you out like a prune.

Take milk baths in the dark. Candles optional.

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 03:12 AM
hmmm...Ill remember that....

Back
11-16-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Originally posted by LadyteeoncyI've always wanted to be with a black man.

Maybe thats because everywhere you look its "COOL" to race mix. If you watch MTV you are literally brainwashed to be attracted to a member of a different race.
They've even released a new barbie line called "Flavas" who are little wannabe black white barbies with negroid boyfriends. How cute. It'll be so neat once racism is dead and everyone is one disgusting coffee color and whites are no longer a threat to the jewish run media.
Have a good time abandoning your culture and heritage because you think blacks guys are hot. That post seriously made me sick.

Ben, Ben, Ben. I can't say I'm disappointed... this was expected. But seriously... can you not deny that Naomi Campbell is one of the hottest chicks on this planet?

[edited for stupid double words]

[Edited on 11-16-2003 by Backlash]

Sean
11-16-2003, 03:22 AM
in addition ill also been requiring nude photographs be emailed to iliketomixbreed@hotmail.com please only apply if your white and lookin for some "flava"

SpunGirl
11-16-2003, 03:23 AM
Or Tyson Beckford, who is african/asian mix, is one of the hottest males on the planet.

-K

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 03:25 AM
I'm likin your little picture there Tijay

Back
11-16-2003, 03:45 AM
Maybe this can go back on topic? Really, I'm interested in stories about how you've had the tables turned on you.

HarmNone has said she is fine with it. I like to think I am of the world mind, I've been around and never had any troubles. I must admit though... I've been (unjustly?) nervous in a few situations. At least, until I get a few beers in me. :) Like I said, never any problems.

There is truth in the adage "Birds of a feather." Have you ever found yourself uncomfortable in a situation where you were not the racial majority?

Weedmage Princess
11-16-2003, 03:56 AM
Well I think it's natural for people to be a bit apprehensive in that kind of situation, Backlash. You've left your "comfort zone" so to speak...so you feel strange...given the things that have happened in society (racism, etc) that's why you feel like that..

Back
11-16-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
Well I think it's natural for people to be a bit apprehensive in that kind of situation, Backlash. You've left your "comfort zone" so to speak...so you feel strange...given the things that have happened in society (racism, etc) that's why you feel like that..

I've already confessed, Weedie. This thread isn't about me.

Its about how people feel when they are in an unfamiliar situation?

longshot
11-16-2003, 04:10 AM
Tables turned on me?

I'm white and I live in Japan. I deal with this EVERY DAY.

I'm a white non-christian American. I'm college educated. I teach in a school. In Japan, foreigners or "gaijin" are relatively rare in the rural areas. Some people enjoy the quasi-celebrity status that comes with that. Everything from people trying to practice English to peeking in your shopping basket at the supermarket.

BUT, where I live? There are 3,000 other foreigners. They don't come from America. They come from Brazil, Venezuela, Cambodia, and the Phillipines. These people are poor and work in factories, and make ZERO effort to assimilate into the community. (I will say that this is probably the fault of the Japanese, because if you cannot trace your bloodline back 300 generations or so, and have lived here your whole life you will NEVER be Japanese).

Anyways, these lovely people that work in the factories really like to mess things up in the town I live in. Hence people hate foreigners here. Do you think they give two shits that I'm from America? Riiiight.... they just see "foreigner", and I get treated like shit for it.

I say this because in America I've never felt "responsible" for what someone else did. Here, things entirely based on groups... and I get lumped into the outsider/fuckup group. This is life as a minority.

People look at me like I'm going to steal there bicycle... because of the color of my skin. It's crazy! In a way, it's enabled me to empathize with people that have had similar experiences. It's also made me bitter at those who mess things up for me, because I feel like I have to pay for their mistakes.

If I go to another town, this dissapears entirely. They don't have 3,000 idiots running around to screw things up, and people treat me nicely. There, I'm just an American, and we are treated very well in general in Japan.

I have so many stories from living here... East Asia is the most racist place in the world. The cultural and actual physical differences among the people are miniscule when compared to different populations in Europe, or major ethnic groups in the US. Yet, they hate eachother! Here, if you call a Japanese person Korean, it's like worse than the N-word...

Weedmage Princess
11-16-2003, 04:11 AM
Sorry Backlash..I meant "you" in general...not YOU as in..you..Backlash..heh.

My bad for not making it clear though.

Back
11-16-2003, 04:15 AM
No worries, Weedie... Longshot's post made the thread.

Caiylania
11-16-2003, 04:28 AM
When I lived in Hawai'i, I felt that away alot. White's are not the majority and at my school it was very hard to fit in. I mean, the classic lunch was seaweed and sushi. We had hamburgers and pizza once a month each. Japanese and Hawaiian, even spanish, were prevalent languages. Everyone knew English but most spoke pidgin. Ya know bra?

I tried to learn surfing once... thats fine if your a tourist. If you are white and live there? They think your a wannabe and it isn't pretty how they can treat you. I stuck to horse-back riding and was happy. But it can be tough over there if you aren't a tourist. Tourists mean cash, military and new people meant invasion.

Back
11-16-2003, 04:36 AM
This thread isn't caucasion only. :) Notice the title.

Sean
11-16-2003, 04:49 AM
i dont know how many varied responses your gonna get gemstone doesn't have the most diverse player base.

but being half black and half white ive never really felt uncomfortable in either situation ive become accustomed to being in both situations epsecially family gatherings. i grew up single parent with just my mom. her whole family is white as can be and being on the darker side me and my brother stand out like as ore thumb at family reuinions. its just something im used to.

AnticorRifling
11-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Tijay = Tiger Woods.

GuildRat
11-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Tiger's half Phillipino..give the orientals their due!!!

'sides...you seen Tijay's pic? He's more Marley than Woods...heh

Warriorbird
11-16-2003, 12:13 PM
I only feel in the minority when surrounded by angry lesbians.

Edaarin
11-16-2003, 12:52 PM
...ugh, people aren't Oriental.

Rugs are Oriental. Pottery is Oriental. Silverware is Oriental.

GuildRat
11-16-2003, 12:53 PM
I knew you were gonna poke your lil ASIAN nose into this....bah!!!

Ladyteeoncy
11-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by longshot

I say this because in America I've never felt "responsible" for what someone else did. Here, things entirely based on groups... and I get lumped into the outsider/fuckup group. This is life as a minority.

People look at me like I'm going to steal there bicycle... because of the color of my skin. It's crazy! In a way, it's enabled me to empathize with people that have had similar experiences. It's also made me bitter at those who mess things up for me, because I feel like I have to pay for their mistakes.

I really disagree with that... They look at you like you are going to steal their bicycle...well look at the kids who go around in the baggie pants and beanies a lot of them are percieved as "gangsters" and are watched like a hawk in stores even though, they may have never stolen anything in their entire life. Maybe they feel they are feeling "responsible". And Im sure you will all say well... thats the clothes they wear...not their skin color... they can change how they dress!

well... Isnt America known for its freedom of expression...and even better yet, What about those kids who are too poor to wear nice clothes? They are treated exactly like those so called "gangsters".

I believe every race and sex stereotype people. Although, I do not think it is right.

Latrinsorm
11-16-2003, 03:39 PM
If you dress as if you're in a gang, people will treat you as if you're in a gang.

If you dress as if you're a priest, people will treat you as if you're a priest.

If you dress up as if you're a skinhead, people will treat you as if you're a skinhead.

Clothes are a form of expression. Like every form of expression, there is a set of constraints that people use to judge it. If you want people to treat you differently, you'll have to convince them that you are more than your clothes.