PDA

View Full Version : GS Globo Gym club

vontez
02-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey, I wanted to make a thread dedicated to nutrition and fitness, where people can exchange wellness tips.

Question: I usually like to have a small, late night snack before bed, so I can get a little protein in my body. Besides a protein shake or peanut butter and honey sandwich, what is something good? I have heard cottage cheese, but that is utterly disgusting.

Sean of the Thread
02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey, I wanted to make a thread dedicated to nutrition and fitness, where people can exchange wellness tips.

Question: I usually like to have a small, late night snack before bed, so I can get a little protein in my body. Besides a protein shake or peanut butter and honey sandwich, what is something good? I have heard cottage cheese, but that is utterly disgusting.

Have a little Tayre before bed to solve your protein needs.

Skeeter
02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
peanuts

The Ponzzz
02-26-2007, 12:31 AM
2lb steak and salt potatoes

sst
02-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Jerky of some kind is something worth considering

Sean of the Thread
02-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Ok so my tayre joke wasn't funny.

BUTT seriously if it's just a little protein you want than have an egg or two. About 6grams each. A can of tuna bout 26grams.

Gan
02-26-2007, 08:33 AM
The tuna lunch kits or snack packs are geat for protein snacks. Just be mindful of your mercury intake.

Jenisi
02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Cottage cheese is excellent for protein, I prefer low-fat flavored versions (chives etc) but most importantly, It's not smart to eat anything before you go to bed. It affects your sleep having something going on in your stomach while you're trying to rest. It's also the worst time for metabolizing anything as well. Smart to eat AFTER a workout, small meals throughout the day, best to workout in the morning before you eat/drink anything with caloric value (you burn 3x more fat if you workout in the morning on an empty stomach, rather than having fuel to just burn).

Gan
02-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I actually get better results having my run routine in the AM and my weight lift in the late evening before bed.

Every body is different. Try different things and go with what works best for your body and your lifestyle.

Skeeter
02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
This is basically my routine also. Though I typically lift after I get home from work 6-7p not right before bed.

I started this routine when I stepped on the scales the day after Thanksgiving. I've had fantastic results so far.

Gan
02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I usually lift after the kiddo has gone to bed and all the 'family' activities are over with.

Stanley Burrell
02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Some gas station hand dried beef jerky strips.

You chew them like crazy and don't actually ingest that much carbs versus pure protein.

Quickly-drank ice water shortly afterwards.

Artha
02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm starting a HIIT routine in preparation for intramural tennis, it's pretty straightforward but anyone have any tips/advice/things of that nature?

Drew2
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Not eating directly prior to sleeping is a good start. That's pretty bad to do.

Gan
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Not eating directly prior to sleeping is a good start. That's pretty bad to do.

This is a must if you are prone to any issues involving gastric reflux, hiatal hernia conditions, or other upper gastric issues.

Drew2
02-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't know what you just said, but a general rule I've heard as long as I can remember from various sources has said that eating that late is bad. Exercising at that time, however, not only staves off hunger but is very good for you. It increases your metabolism through the night.

Exercising before breakfast is also great for your metabolism and your blood sugar.

Stanley Burrell
02-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm starting a HIIT routine in preparation for intramural tennis, it's pretty straightforward but anyone have any tips/advice/things of that nature?

Don't play Tennis like you would Raquetball or your wrist will get sev0r'D!1one.

Or at least hurt like a bitch if you continue swing retardedly. Play from the arm, not the wrist.

I don't know what you just said, but a general rule I've heard as long as I can remember from various sources has said that eating that late is bad. Exercising at that time, however, not only staves off hunger but is very good for you. It increases your metabolism through the night.

True x infinity.

If you don't feel too girly, doing isometric stretching and some beginner's Yoga poses are much more effective than bulk muscle excercise for the sheer sake of burning calories/cardio whilst ye slumber (passive myelin respiration > bulk muscle sitting on your circulatory system.)

Latrinsorm
02-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Telling Artha how to play tennis is like telling Scarface how to snort coke and shoot people, man.

Stanley Burrell
02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Didn't know I was dealing with Artha "The Arachnid" Agassi.

My b :blush:

Artha
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Haha, I know how to hit the ball...even though I haven't played a real game in a while, which is why I figured I'd get some HIIT going before I'm thrown into competitive situations. Best 2 out of 3 (playing to 6) + out of shape = suckfest.

Jenisi
02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
If you're using tennis as a means to go from out of shape to in shape, I hope you're doing a ton of running and free weights on the side. Try racketball ( believe this is what its called) where you just hit the ball in a smaller room against a wall and chase after it (fun times).

Artha
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm not using tennis to get in shape, I'm playing because I love it.

I'm using HIIT to get in better shape for tennis, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips or whatnot, even though the premise behind HIIT is pretty straightforward.

:grouphug:

Skeeter
02-26-2007, 04:38 PM
You're taking intermurals pretty serious. Why not try out for the real team?

Artha
02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not foreign enough for the real team.

Skeeter
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
don't be a pussy. at least show up for the tryout.

Artha
02-26-2007, 07:28 PM
The real problem is just that I started playing when I was 16, instead of 6.

edit: And that the team doesn't have try outs, I don't think.

Stretch
02-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Optimal: eat five or six small meals a day

Practical: eat a small breakfast, lunch and dinner, with fruit interspersed through the day

Likely: eat moderate lunch and huge dinner, and snack in between

Despite adhering to the third option for the past six months, I'm still in relatively good shape. I can't bench press 250 lbs anymore, and my size 32s are slowly starting to get a little snug, but still rocking the V so far...

Anyway, you're probably best off downing a protein shake 3 or so hours before hitting the sack. Since they taste like chocolate flavored chalk, I've since opted for flavorless protein mix with 2% milk, a scoop of low fat ice cream and some frozen fruit. But I usually down that right after I get home from work, not right before bed.

Soulpieced
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I used to LOVE playing racketball in college. Unfortunately, my knee probably won't let me play anymore.

vontez
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
HIIT has been good for me. For cardio, i did sprints in between classes in college, dispensing with the jog between the sprints (I was focusing on getting explosive off the line) But obviously, following a routine is good, but difficult.

You can mix HIIT up with normal jogs, but with weights in your hands. 3-4 pounds is good enough for me, depending on your lvl of fitness, you can handle more. You will notice your arms never get heavy when running.

Question: anyone care to play "trainer", and give me a decent routine for my upcoming lacrosse season? I want to incorporate strength/explosiveness and endurance.

Sean of the Thread
02-26-2007, 07:54 PM

I used to us HIIT. Works as advertised... really don't need any tips for it.

Liberi Fatali
02-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Contrary to the popular belief of (most) posters in this thread, you're on the right track. I don't know if you want to be a bodybuilder extraordinaire or what, but if you fail to put enough protein in your body before bed, you'll ultimately run out of it in the middle of the night.

Thus, if you consume some sort of protein-rich whatever before you go to bed, it will support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours. As opposed to storing fat and eating muscle (which is what normally happens), you'll burn fat at the normal rate AND build on the muscle.

I know, I know, I'm 6'0 and 136 pounds, what do I know, right? Well, I've taken extensive nutritional courses (such as Nutrition in the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer, Principles of Clinical Nutrition, etc).

Therefore, my suggestion to you (and one of my favourite foods) is to eat egg whites. No, not the entire god damn egg. The egg white. Personally, I prefer scrambled egg whites. You can also buy powdered egg white, I think -- I've never purchased this before. I just hard boil the eggs, crack the shells, take out the yoke and eat the egg white. An egg white, by the way, has around 4 grams (3.6) grams of protein and only SEVENTEEN calories. Therefore, as per your query, egg whites will make a brillaint and healthy low calorie, NO CARB, and almost no-fat snack.

vontez
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
indeed, thank you sir. I already utilize egg whites in my diet, usually in the form of turkey bacon and egg white sammiches for breakfast.

Query: How many grams of protein can you effectively metabolize in a meal? I aim for 20-30 in each meal, could I up that, if I wanted to?

Back
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Uh, I don’t know all the ins and outs of this stuff, but I’m just happy to hear that a morning workout, before breakfast, is a good thing.

I can’t be bothered at the end of the day.

Jenisi
02-26-2007, 11:46 PM
You can eat a very small protein snack, but try to keep it as close to pure protein as you can. It'll affect your sleep whether it promotes muscle growth or not. I'm just saying I wouldn't personally recommend it.

kookiegod
02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
This is the current plyo workout I'm doing 1x a week, along with another high intensity workout, and 3 days of heavy weights.

Bodyweight Cycle

Coordination Jack – 8 Count Bodybuilder – Supine Bicycle
(Plyo Push-up)

SPRINT

Gorilla Jump – Mountain Climber – Plank

SPRINT

MOVE TO NEXT CYCLE BELOW

Speed & Agility Cycle

Lateral Hurdle Jumps

AGILITY SPRINT (crisscross cones)

Multi-planar Rectangle Jumps

AGILITY SPRINT

Weighted Plyo Jumps

MOVE TO NEXT CYCLE BELOW

Self-defense

Stair Hops (what it says, hop up to the second floor to the bag)
Heavy Bag (1-3 minutes)

REST & REPEAT UP TO 3 TIMES

I was ready to hurl after 3x thru.

~me

Gan
02-27-2007, 07:39 AM
More info on HITT as well as intake suggestions for diets for cutting phase, bulking phase, etc.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm

Stanley Burrell
02-27-2007, 10:53 AM
This is the current plyo workout I'm doing 1x a week, along with another high intensity workout, and 3 days of heavy weights.

Bodyweight Cycle

Coordination Jack – 8 Count Bodybuilder – Supine Bicycle
(Plyo Push-up)

SPRINT

Gorilla Jump – Mountain Climber – Plank

SPRINT

MOVE TO NEXT CYCLE BELOW

Speed & Agility Cycle

Lateral Hurdle Jumps

AGILITY SPRINT (crisscross cones)

Multi-planar Rectangle Jumps

AGILITY SPRINT

Weighted Plyo Jumps

MOVE TO NEXT CYCLE BELOW

Self-defense

Stair Hops (what it says, hop up to the second floor to the bag)
Heavy Bag (1-3 minutes)

REST & REPEAT UP TO 3 TIMES

I was ready to hurl after 3x thru.

~me

You forgot flying :-P

But yeah, as long as you don't have cholesterol issues, a bunch of proteoglycans, glycoproteins and lipoproteins will get proteolytically cleaved and/or metabolized.

I'd keep the egg whites in the morning after getting pumped like AHNAHLD. Always.