PDA

View Full Version : Armor Question

Sharnath
02-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm currently wearing FGB and thinking of moving to augmented chain. My question is will augmented chain equal at least the crit protection I have with the FGB or will I need to try to get crit padded chain in its place? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sharnath
Weed Mage

Latrinsorm
02-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Crit padding cannot be adequately expressed directly in terms of a higher armor group. If you are used to getting rank 0 crits (no wounds), then your crit padding is having no effect whatsoever, as crit padding cannot reduce any crit of 1 or higher to 0. Recall also that PCs have natural crit padding directly proportional to Constitution bonus.

Complicating the issue further is that as a ranger your character probably has at least some redux, making his or her crit divisors a little bit unknown. I can tell you the following with certainty though:

Chain crit divisors are always higher (better) than Scale crit divisors. Augmented chain will provide these crit divisors to all areas below the neck.
Chain DFs are not always lower (better) than Scale DFs. Augmented chain will provide the Chain DF to all areas of the body.
Augmented chain's AvD is usually right around brigandine's AvD, sometimes lower and sometimes higher.
Augmented chain's dodge hindrance is higher than brigandine. This won't amount to much.

I'd recommend getting one of each kind of set and switching back and forth depending on opponent.

Stanley Burrell
02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Sharnath
Weed Mage

I'd recommend getting one of each kind of set and switching back and forth depending on opponent.

Definitely.

The bump from aug to hauberk coverage (via armor add-ons) can be really unpleasant if you aren't properly trained to get rid of the extra ~2% for your Ranger spells.

Something a bit lighter over blah-blah fanciness or an extra enchant and what have you.