PDA

View Full Version : Three second eye shots

Renian
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
I look at these archery combat logs and see people shoot things in the eye in three seconds all the damn time. Are those shots aimed, or are people just damned lucky? And I thought aiming would add +1 RT, making it at least four, rather than strength negating it.

The reason I want to know is I might take up archery in light of this fact. :D

Renian
02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Nevermind, Belnia just told me over PsiNet that this is possible.

Awesomesauce.

Gan
02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
As was posted on the officials, here's a pretty accurate breakdown by someone with regards to archery RT. This post was discussing the RT experienced with using a longbow.

Ok, to expand on what's been said (And repeat things)

First the Basics, Longbow RT is a base 9 sec RT, Aiming adds 1 RT, hiding adds +1 RT (This is removed if fallen from hidng as it's considered an Open shot).

So.. with your 7/6 let's go with the assumption you have 20 Str Bonus (Actually this can be anywhere between +20 to +29)... from your clip there.

So with every +10 Str bonus removing -1 RT, your +20 is giving you a 7 sec snipe RT and 6 sec open RT. (Why it 'fluctuates as you say - but working exactly the way it's intended.)

Now, Let's say you do have 20 Str bonus, and Pick up 2 ranks of surge (+5 and +3 for first rank and then another +3 from the second rank for a total of +11 Strength Bonus).... this +11 will reduce your Firing RT by another 1 seconds (Now if your Natural Str Bouns is +29, then add the +11 from 2 ranks of Surge your total bonus is +40 and thus -4 RT.)

As well, if you get 509 (White crystal or a wizard cast) you recieve another phantom +15 Str Bonus (Does not show in your stat info - which is a good thing) So that causes your RT to drop by 1 second... but if you had a +25 Natural Str Bonus and get 509 (+15) your new total would be +40 for a -4 Bouns). Add in those 2 ranks of Surge now your new bonus would be +51 and thus -5 RT.

As Keelty pointed out though, most you can reduce your RT is to -3 Open or sniping outside of Haste/Song of Tonis.

So, recap...

(Natural Str BONUS + (Surge + Str Bonus Enhancives <Note: Max Enhancives through items or Surge is +50>) + Wizards Strength + Phoens) / 10 = RT reduction to firing time (Min RT is 3 seconds).

Take Character ABC who has a Strength bonus of 25, Has a Strength Bonus Enhancer of +4, 2 Ranks of Surge for a +11 Strength Bouns, and is wearing 509. Shooting a Longbow.

In the Open and aiming his RT would be:

Base RT = 7 + 1 (Base Longbow + 1 for Aiming)
With the above in motion that 8 seconds would become = TRUNC((25+4+11)+(15))/10 = TRUNC(55/10) = TRUNC (5.5) = 5 seconds removed

So from the open and aiming he would be at 8-5 = 3 seconds (The best he can achieve without HAste or Song of Tonis).

Now let's say he went hiding and aimed which would add +2 RT to his base for 9 seconds... so he would end up with 9 - 5 for a 4 second RT from sniping. But when he falls out of hiding it reverts to open aiming giving him the 8 seconds.

For him to get his sniping and aiming firing RT to 3 seconds he would need to add Phoens to his spells he's wearing OR figure out a way to get his surge + Str Bonus enhancers to total another 10 (Which 3 more ranks of surge would accomplish). He then could fire from open or hiding at 3 seconds - best anyone can do.

Things a little clearer now? If not, I have a nice little table I posted a few months back in the archery folder just go to that folder and do a search of my name and hopefully it's still there - broke it down even simplier than that. (im at work otherwise Id just repost it since I got tired of repeatedly typing this but at work and no access to that file).

Xatier

Bobmuhthol
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
What a long, drawn-out explanation.

Here's the summary:

You need a strength bonus of 60 to snipe with a longbow at 3 seconds.

Drew
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
My wiz archer is enjoyable, half krolvin with max strength and and strength running = aimed longbow at 3 seconds. I don't even bother with haste usually.

jpatter123
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
What a long, drawn-out explanation.

Here's the summary:

You need a strength bonus of 60 to snipe with a longbow at 3 seconds.

ayup. Giants with 100 strength and 5 surge ranks can snipe at 3 seconds with no wiz strength.. yes life is sweet.

TheEschaton
02-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Does Phoen's give a shadow Strength bonus or does it simply knock a certain amount of time off bow firing?

-TheE-

Drew
02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Phoen's give +10 to your strength like 509 gives +15. It'll knock a second off bow RT.

fallenSaint
02-14-2007, 10:40 PM
My wiz archer is enjoyable, half krolvin with max strength and and strength running = aimed longbow at 3 seconds. I don't even bother with haste usually.

If your a wizard archer whats the point in not using haste?

TheEschaton
02-14-2007, 11:09 PM
So, with Phoen's and 509, a ranger starts with +25. Which means a +35 racial/enhancer bonus to Strength just to get it to 3 seconds for every shot. Which a giant, dwarf, or half-krol can get naturally with maxed strength.

Meanwhile, a rogue can get 509, up to 20 for surge for a natural +35, needing only a +25 on the bonus, which most races can get naturally at maxed strength, barring Aelotolai, gnomes, Erithians, and halflings.

-TheE-

Jolena
02-14-2007, 11:13 PM

:yeahthat:

Ignot
02-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Because he is lazy. Why else be a wizard unless you are lazy.

fallenSaint
02-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Because he is lazy. Why else be a wizard unless you are lazy.

Thats why I throw up haste and just let the shots rain in at 1 second, let em land where they may ;)

StrayRogue
02-15-2007, 02:22 AM
My halfing archer wishes he had much more strength. Even with a maxed stat, he still fires a composite bow in like 5 seconds, unaimed.

Drew
02-15-2007, 02:55 AM

I prefer to use his mana for ewave. Also laziness.