PDA

View Full Version : Informative Savant Post

Fallen
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
>>Are Savants being actively worked on, or are they put on hold until other systems are released, and who are the GMs who are on Team Savant?

They're not being actively worked on at this time aside from all GMs who will eventually be actively working on them compiling ideas until we get to them. A few major projects are higher priority, the most notorious being Alchemy. The GMs who will be on the Savant team include the people on the pure teams as well as GM Warden heading it and possibly others.

>>Either way, has a time goal been set for the release of the Savants?

They probably won't be released in 2007.

>>Will the release of Savants be tied in with the release of the Monks, or will each profession be released on their own time-table, regardless of the status of the other?

Our current goal is to work on all the mental lists (minor mental, major mental, monk and savant) concurrently. This doesn't necessarily mean both professions will be released at the same time, however.

>>Are there currently any plans to allow one or more existing professions convert into a Savant, like Warriors and Clerics were allowed to do for Paladins? If so, what profession(s) is(are) being considered?

I don't personally know these plans, if they exist.

>>Any other information that can be released to whet our appetite?

From the ideas I've seen from staff, savants will be pretty sweet. I can't really release any info since very little is finalized. I have less personal interest in monks, so I can't comment there.

>>Thanks for anything you can give us.

No problem.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Empath/Cleric Team

Flurbins
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
It must be so embarassing for them to post that kind of information...

if they had any shame that is.

Alfster
02-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm betting 2010, if gemstone lives taht long

Ignot
02-12-2007, 10:41 PM
They asked us what we wanted them to work on most. We didnt choose savants and monks so don't expect it anytime soon.

Fallen
02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
If Alchemy is half as good as Adventurer's guild I could give a fuck less about Savants and Monks.

Back
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
The fact that they are working on 4 new spell circles is kinda cool.

Hopefully they pull it off better than the new races.

Alchemy would be great if it helped all professions.

Artha
02-12-2007, 10:56 PM
as well as GM Warden heading it
Haha Savants are going to be exactly the same as every other profession but with different messaging.

Jolena
02-12-2007, 11:03 PM
The fact that they are working on 4 new spell circles is kinda cool.

Hopefully they pull it off better than the new races.

Alchemy would be great if it helped all professions.

From what I understood, alchemy is supposed to be a skill that affects multiple professions, though not all of them. It was indicated that empaths, sorcerers, wizards, and I believe maybe Rangers (though not as sure on the Rangers now that I think about it) would benefit from Alchemy.

Ignot
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Haha Savants are going to be exactly the same as every other profession but with different messaging.

I agree, in fact i really have no desire to play more then one profession because alot of them are so similar and can do the same things. Im really not excited about Savants and Monks other then the fact that maybe we will get a re-allocation.

Alchemy on the other hand looks promising.

The Ponzzz
02-12-2007, 11:53 PM
They are making savants magical, and not psionics, which to me means they dropped the ball there.

TheEschaton
02-12-2007, 11:57 PM
How were they originally planning on making them psionic, if not through the magic system?

-TheE-

Ignot
02-12-2007, 11:57 PM
With text.

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 02:58 AM
How were they originally planning on making them psionic, if not through the magic system?

-TheE-

Perhaps they'd use a new system that wasn't AS vs DS or CS vs TD.

Alfster
02-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I thought that when I quit (over a year ago) alchemy was being released soon then?

Stanley Burrell
02-13-2007, 09:36 AM
They are making savants magical, and not psionics, which to me means they dropped the ball there.

I didn't anticipate the savant and/or monk circle to be implemented otherwise.

That would be a coding nightmare from the ninth circle of Luukosian Di Yu, most likely.

The Ponzzz
02-13-2007, 10:50 AM
I didn't anticipate the savant and/or monk circle to be implemented otherwise.

That would be a coding nightmare from the ninth circle of Luukosian Di Yu, most likely.

While I do understand coding as a psionic over a magic user would be a nightmare, why half ass a new profession? Why do it if you aren't going to do it right? No body forced them to pick savant over something like druid, magus or shifter.

Now, savant by definition is a scholar. One who studies endlessly. But in most fantasy gaming, a savant is a psionic, a mentalist. One that can control matter around him with his mind. Telekinesis for example.

So, here's where that coding nightmare has already somewhat been solved. Paladin's have a spell that refreshes stamina. Psionics should be drawing from their stamina, their mental discipline.

I haven't given this days of thought, but with just some creativity you could have a spell that uses mana that draws out more psionic ability. The spell will double stamina for a very limited amount of time and does not stack and can be directly cast after it drops. Messaging stating you are too weak to do it. Another spell could be like rejuvenate where you are replenishing small amounts of stamina for mana cost. They have 2 full exclusive spell circles, use them with smarts, instead of taking the lazy way out.

Have stamina costs be low for certain abilities such as telekinetic punch, kick, throw, etc. Control items on the ground to throw at them. Create barriers with certain items on the ground. All stamina cost with minor play to mana. So they are SOMEWHAT magical, but purely psionic.

I wrote out ideas on this 2 years ago and posted it. Can't go back to grab the original post, but the idea was pretty easy to create.

Kembal
02-13-2007, 11:44 AM
From what I understood, alchemy is supposed to be a skill that affects multiple professions, though not all of them. It was indicated that empaths, sorcerers, wizards, and I believe maybe Rangers (though not as sure on the Rangers now that I think about it) would benefit from Alchemy.

Empaths, Sorcerers, Wizards, and Clerics. Alchemy is for the pure professions.

Sean
02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
What was actually informative about that post other than that they probably wont be released in 07?

TheEschaton
02-13-2007, 12:58 PM
What the hell is Alchemy supposed to do? I've heard of it in hushed, awed tones, but no one's been able to illustrate what I'm supposed to be able to do with it. Don't clerics already have the opportunity to turn Silver to Gold with one of the Holy Receptacle spells?

-TheE-

The Ponzzz
02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Make potions that are within their circle of knowledge.

Wizards for example can make enchanting potions.

Clerics can make white flasks.

Empaths have herb potions, etc etc.

though I guess savants will have it as well. So expect to see ginko bilbao and energy drinks in Elanthia.

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't see why such a system would take so long to code personally, if it's going to be that generic/benign.

Soulpieced
02-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Considering the Adventurer's Guild was the best thing to hit Gemstone in my recent memory, why are people still complaining for other junk?

Latrinsorm
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
why half ass a new profession?DnD clerics are restricted to blunt weapons. Does that mean GS clerics were made "half-assed" as well?

I'm all for sticking it to Simu for being 3 years behind schedule, but it's pretty silly to try and slam them for how what they might do corresponds to your personal expectations.

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
DnD clerics are restricted to blunt weapons.

No they aren't.

Latrinsorm
02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
3rd edition was blasphemous horse puckey and we both know it.

The Ponzzz
02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Then go about and enjoy mental magic.

I'm just saying, there is no coding hell about it. Savants aren't magical.

I never played 3rd edition D&D. But I never remember anyone stuck to only using one weapon class.

But comparing clerics getting stuck with blunt weapons with Simu making Savants magical and claiming to have mental magic and not be a mentalist using mind, body spirit is apples to oranges.

If clerics in GS or D&D weren't holy(or unholy), then we can compare.

Artha
02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
You realize everything in GS is just made up of different messaging, right? Whether or not they actually implement new systems doesn't count for jack, because savants are going to be sorcerers and wizards and clerics and empaths with different filler text between your AS and Roundtime.

Stanley Burrell
02-13-2007, 05:39 PM
You realize everything in GS is just made up of different messaging, right? Whether or not they actually implement new systems doesn't count for jack, because savants are going to be sorcerers and wizards and clerics and empaths with different filler text between your AS and Roundtime.

Yeah.

Which is why I think SIMU could and can make INCANT/PREP/etc. <Savant/Monk spell from savant/monk spell circle> appear psionic oriented.

Seriously though, they (GS Staff [coders]) will eventually have to narrow and thus make non-existent every single exploit that shows up with the new spell circles in Platinum trials.

On top of that, something I've admired about the GemStone product is SIMU's ability to remain reserved enough as is to tediously test out a single change within Boolean variable X and many times if found to be "unbalanced," let alone the possibility of mechanics abuse, close down entire wings of source code until every smidgen of a technical anomaly is troubleshot (new Teras, paladin spells [still], etc.)

Throwing in new counters amidst a sea of $_TRUE/FALSE_$'s would be impossible for the manpower of the most popular MMORPG to implement with balance, efficiency and a natural correspondence for every other existing system.

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 05:41 PM

And how does WoW not boil down to simple numbers and streams of code?

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I never played 3rd edition D&D. But I never remember anyone stuck to only using one weapon class.

And yeah, 2nd Ed clerics weren't always restrict to blunts.

Artha
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying it doesn't matter whether or not they develope a new system because the end result is the same.

On the other hand, classes in WoW have different functionality and aren't equally good at everything - hence why PvP there is more like complicated rock paper scissors than 'first to hit enter wins'.

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, but it still boils down to numbers. All you're doing in WoW, ultimately, is subtracting numbers of HP from a target.

And on the other hand you can customize anything in GS, whereas WoW is totally rigid.

Artha
02-13-2007, 05:55 PM
If numbers is all it boils down to, I'd rather spend a month making mine go from 11 to 700 than go from 153 to 161. Personal preference, I guess.

Really it was just a comment on Warden's GS4 being 8 professions - 8 flavor messages - 1 functionality. Because we can't risk anything being imbalanced.

StrayRogue
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
WoW is as pretty much balanced as GS. The only thing that disrupts that balance is the gear.

Ignot
02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Considering the Adventurer's Guild was the best thing to hit Gemstone in my recent memory, why are people still complaining for other junk?

They are all Jews.

Ignot
02-13-2007, 09:10 PM

I agree however one of the important things you have to use in GS is your imagination. I could give a fuck about what system they use or what GM is workin on what. Just give me the end product and let me imagine the game how i want to. isnt that the only reason for playing a text based game?

Alfster
02-14-2007, 04:46 AM
I thought cyber poon was why people played?

Ignot
02-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I thought cyber poon was why people played?

Exactly. Alfster wins.

Apotheosis
02-15-2007, 08:27 AM
it's all coming out, right along with HJ.