PDA

View Full Version : Pickpocket

Shnutts
11-13-2003, 08:42 PM
hello, i just rolled up a character and i want him to be very adept at picking pockets, i was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how much is enough training in picking pockets and what goes into a check to see if you get caught or not.

thanks.

Shnutts
11-13-2003, 09:33 PM
::cues the tumble weed to roll on by::

StrayRogue
11-13-2003, 10:05 PM
2x is where its at if you want to be a serious thief. I am not the master in this issue, Falgrin is, and I am sure he isn't 100% up on the GS4 situation either.

Rowi
11-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Falgrin isnt the MASTER~! He is damn good though.

Shnutts
11-14-2003, 01:02 AM
so just 2x's and i'll be good. but how many ranks is considered decent/good?

Parkbandit
11-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Rowi
Falgrin isnt the MASTER~! He is damn good though.

::scoff:: says you. Folks come from far and wide JUST to get a look at the dwarf and watch him in action.

Back on topic though.. for GS3, it's only the amount of stealing ranks that determine how 'good' of a thief is.. mechanics wise. Anyone under fully 2x trained is a hack.

As far as roleplaying goes.. you need to determine if you want your thief known as a thief or not. When I started Falgrin out, he studied the art, but didn't practice it until he was well above 15 or so trainings. Even then he was caught quite a few times.

Wezas
11-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
Anyone under fully 2x trained is a hack.

You see Falgrin the Bandit.
He appears to be a Dwarf of the Sharznekgren Clan.

Falgrin has his fame disabled.

>whi falg ye mind if I try my thieving skill on an older rogue like yourself?
You whisper quietly to Falgrin.

Falgrin nods to you.

You reach into Falgrin's pockets and pull out 42 silvers.

>whi falg see that?

Falgrin looks over at you and shakes his head.

You give Falgrin 42 coins.

1x Empath

11-14-2003, 09:09 AM
I would like to point out that as a cleric and 1x in stealing and a giantkin I only get cought by rogues

EmpressBtch
11-14-2003, 09:42 AM
The really odd thing is my empath thats 1x steals better than my rogue.

GuildRat
11-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Heh, I'll trade ya 177 coins fer another emerald, eh Wezas?

::snicker::

Wezas
11-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by GuildRat
Heh, I'll trade ya 177 coins fer another emerald, eh Wezas?

::snicker::

lol, still can't for the life of me figure out why an emerald ended up in my crummy pouch instead of my nice gem pouch (that stays closed). I'm sure it was stolen, but I'm usually pretty good about putting them in the nice pouch.

Parkbandit
11-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by EmpressBtch
The really odd thing is my empath thats 1x steals better than my rogue.

How many trainings is your empath compared to your rogue? If your empath is 100 trainings and your rogue is only 25, then your empath would have trained in stealing more.

Parkbandit
11-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Anyone under fully 2x trained is a hack.

You see Falgrin the Bandit.
He appears to be a Dwarf of the Sharznekgren Clan.

Falgrin has his fame disabled.

>whi falg ye mind if I try my thieving skill on an older rogue like yourself?

Falgrin nods to you.

You reach into Falgrin's pockets and pull out 42 silvers.

>whi falg see that?

Falgrin looks over at you and shakes his head.

You give Falgrin 42 coins.

1x Empath

One pull does not a master thief make. To prove this, let's play tonight... each character starts with 1000 coins and 2 non-cursed gems. First one to clean the other one out wins.

Bet Falgrin catches you.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Doesnt race play a factor? Im guessing some sort of elvish breed would be best.

Trinitis
11-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam

Following this line of logic, halflings would be the best theives..but I don't think race plays a part

Drew2
11-14-2003, 01:51 PM
In GS4 you gotta be in a larger crowd or it's extremely easy to get caught. Tayre has 45 ranks in GS4 and is spotted every time if there aren't more than 2-3 people in the room.

Does Perception affect it in GS4? That could be my problem.

[Edited on 11-14-2003 by Tayre]

Dighn Darkbeam
11-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Yes, it does. You can also watch people that you believe are stealing. It ups the chances of catching that person, but lowers your guard against others who might be working.

Parkbandit
11-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam

Why would elves be good at being a thief? They are as inept at most things as their relatives the humans.

Useless.. the lot of them.

Wezas
11-14-2003, 03:45 PM
One pull does not a master thief make. To prove this, let's play tonight... each character starts with 1000 coins and 2 non-cursed gems. First one to clean the other one out wins.
Bet Falgrin catches you.

I'm sure he would, because he has some trainings under his belt. The point I was trying to make is that someone can 1x (especially rogues with their bonus) and still fair well as a thief. As long as they leave older rogues alone.

You would catch me because of your age and the number of pickpocket ranks you have (plus the rogue bonus).

Parkbandit
11-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Bet Falgrin catches you.

I'm sure he would, because he has some trainings under his belt. The point I was trying to make is that someone can 1x (especially rogues with their bonus) and still fair well as a thief. As long as they leave older rogues alone.

You would catch me because of your age and the number of pickpocket ranks you have (plus the rogue bonus).

AND because Falgrin is SOO MUCH better than Wezas!!! :smug:

Dighn Darkbeam
11-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Why would elves be good at being a thief? They are as inept at most things as their relatives the humans.

Useless.. the lot of them. >>

Dwarves have the obvious pilfering advantage that they are so ugly no one can stand to keep their eyes on them for any sustained period of time. Halflings slide into a close second in this aspect.

Seriously, no stats or stat bonuses play a factor?

Dexterity, Reflexes?

Parkbandit
11-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Dighn DarkbeamDwarves have the obvious pilfering advantage that they are so ugly no one can stand to keep their eyes on them for any sustained period of time. Halflings slide into a close second in this aspect.

That's not what YOUR MOTHER SAID!

Ha!:smug:

Dighn Darkbeam
11-14-2003, 06:35 PM
That's not what YOUR MOTHER SAID!

Ha!>>

*squints*

To respond: Ignorance has it's price. How long have you been paying up, you poor thing?

Artha
11-14-2003, 06:51 PM
2x it, and you can steal from pretty much anyone except another rogue and the occasional person with pickpocket at around 20.

Shnutts
11-15-2003, 02:13 AM
thanks for the help

Shnutts
11-15-2003, 02:16 AM
oh yea, and edine watch your pockets! ;-)

h4k33d00d
11-15-2003, 12:25 PM
In GS3 just train 2x in pickpockets and you'll be good. Right now I"m 2xed and steal from rogues all the time, rarely get caught by 'em, and stealing from anyone else is a lot easier.

In GS4 you gatta play it safe, and pick marks a lot more cautously. Perception plays a large role on catching thieves so rangers would be a hard mark. I'm pretty sure agility plays a role on your stealin' ability and stealing from hiding will also help.

Parkbandit
11-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by h4k33d00d
In GS3 just train 2x in pickpockets and you'll be good. Right now I"m 2xed and steal from rogues all the time, rarely get caught by 'em, and stealing from anyone else is a lot easier.

In GS4 you gatta play it safe, and pick marks a lot more cautously. Perception plays a large role on catching thieves so rangers would be a hard mark. I'm pretty sure agility plays a role on your stealin' ability and stealing from hiding will also help.

I really think this is one of the best changes going into GS4. As it is now, Falgrin gets caught about .09% of the time.

Can't wait.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-15-2003, 01:34 PM
If only I could squeeze in 2x perception. Sigh

11-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Shnutts
oh yea, and edine watch your pockets! ;-)

watch where you put your hands
you will oft get a gem that will kill you instead of help fill your coffers

Lobster
12-14-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Artha
2x it, and you can steal from pretty much anyone except another rogue and the occasional person with pickpocket at around 20.

So a non-rogue with 40 trains on PP would likely do fairly well, as log as they're able to pick targets pretty well?

Hmmmmmm