PDA

View Full Version : Cman

SayGoodbye
01-25-2007, 03:47 AM
I was approaching my fifth rank of mfire when I decided it really just wasn't worth it.

My question is.. will there be any change to my AS or DS if I dump all my cman training? How does cman benefit archers? I was under the impression that training in cman was purely to let you train in the skills. This is what the website says.

Combat Maneuvers
Combat maneuvers training is a rather broad skill that covers many of the subtle "tricks of the trade" for melee combat. The more obvious benefits of the skill are the bonuses to attack and defense it provides. The bonus is dependant upon the stance you are in. When in more offensive stances it will help you hit harder, while in more defensive stances it will help you defend better compared to someone without it. The subtle aspects of the skill are found when trying to dodge special "maneuver" type attacks that one might face. Combat maneuvers skill figures into some but not all of these situations.

So.. what does that mean? It improves AS and DS on top of the skills learned or because of the skills learned? And also, does this only apply to melee combat?

Xaerve
01-25-2007, 07:04 AM
CMAN WSPEC1 ARROW -- Will raise your AS up to +10. However, most only get 3 or 4 ranks of this (at first) because of the fifth rank being so expensive.

Other than that, the two best to get, in my opinion, are CMAN SURGE and CMAN SMAS -- Surge and Shadow Mastery. Surge reduces your encumbrance and, especially at higher ranks, reduces your round time when firing your bow.

Gan
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
You must must must must must must must... (emphasize must) get combat mobility. It takes you from a prone position to a standing position the next attack against you, automatically.

For archery I use cman shadowmastery (1 sec. rt sneaking), cman surge (added STR bonus reduces RT (every +10 to bonus)).

mgoddess
01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Depending on if you're a rogue or a ranger, CMan can be very useful.

Rangers don't get cman surge, which sucks. Depending on your style of hunting, cman shadowmastery can be very useful. I don't believe rangers get cmobility, which also sucks. Overall, cman's for rangers really depends on if you have the TP's to spare.

If you're a rogue, cman's are a must. As Ganalon said, cmobility is a must, followed by surge and smastery (if you're a sniper). WSpec can be useful, if you're in need of extra AS and want to spend the points on it.

SayGoodbye
01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified in my first post. I'm a ranger, not a rogue. Which means no awesome surge for me. :(

So that means the only cman that would benefit me is shadow mastery for the 1 sec rt. I'm a sniper so that could be good but I already hide pretty fast so it's not exactly essential. What I'm more worried about is that if I dump all cman training am I going to lose anything other than the cman skills? That description on the site is pretty vague about it.

These are the learnable combat maneuvers available to rangers:

Combat Movement (cmovement), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Combat Focus (focus), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Combat Mastery (cmastery), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 6)
Shadow Mastery (smastery), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)
Dirtkick (dirtkick), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Shield Bash (sbash), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Disarm Weapon (disarm), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Sweep (sweep), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Feint (feint), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Hamstring (hamstring), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Precision (precision), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 6)
Garrote (garrote), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Subdual Strike (sstrike), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Multi-Fire (mfire), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
Trip (trip), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 3)
>

Goretawn
01-25-2007, 04:52 PM
From what I have read from many other posts, CMAN for ranger's is not that great an idea. With the spells available to them for sniping, you can use your training points in other areas. I have a post in the Ranger folder that may help. Don't have a link because I am too lazy to look myself.

Snapp
01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
CMANs for rangers kinda stink. I do agree that smastery would be useful to have, but that's about it.

Gan
01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Reroll to a rogue.

That is all.

;)

StinkyBlumpkin
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
you wont notice any change to your attack if you drop your cman. Archers do not gain a bonus from training in the skill. Your defenses might drop a marginal bit depending on how many ranks you have.

Stunseed
01-25-2007, 11:20 PM
< CMANs for rangers kinda stink. I do agree that smastery would be useful to have, but that's about it. >

I agree. However...If you hunt with someone, get 2 ranks of cmovement to unlock side-by-side. Stalk your partner and shoot, and you'll gain AS, and DS if you are joined to someone, which is amped if they are a sbs user.

I'd get 4 ranks of smastery, and if you have a partner, 4 ranks of sbs. If you don't have a partner, dirtkick can be utilized in defensive, to lower ones perception, if you cannot ward with 609.

SayGoodbye
01-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to scrap the cman training. The sidebyside would work but I hunt solo.

Appreciate all the good advice. :)

zhelas
01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Sweep isn't a bad choice either. Sure rangers have knock down spells like tangleweed however there are places in the lands where your spells will not work.

Reading the officials. When you reach cap you probably will not find shadow mastery all that important. With all the swarms, you need quick accurate shooting. Many at this point in time will either up their ambush or choose a different Cman.

Danical
01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Does SBS give AS when ambushing/aiming? I seem to recall it didn't for whatever reason.

Stunseed
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Nope, sbs does not augment ambushing shots.