PDA

View Full Version : Personal RP

Caiylania
11-11-2003, 11:57 AM
What is something you do that is personal RP? Like from what I have seen, Falgrin has his park, that he protects and has a deed to.

My warrior RP's a small art talent and has a step of things she does after every hunt.

Does anyone have habits/etc... they RP out?

Betheny
11-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Maimara... uh. worshipped mularos, and was insane.

Wezas
11-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Caiylania
Does anyone have habits/etc... they RP out?

Wezas sets his profession to "Butcher" and carries around a large butcher's cleaver. He's also fond of halflings (to eat) and thinks that dirt elves are beneath him. Stupid tax is also a given, but not sure if that's RPing.

Moist Happenings
11-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Neff is the king of the cul-de-sac, and has the deed to it.

Additionally, another character of mine carries around a bone saw, and asks for limb donations due to the fact that he is sewing together golems to take over the landing, and is running low on parts.

Thirdly: Thank you for your generous donations, everyone that has participated.

DCSL
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Hm, I don't know, really. Lysistrata talks to her Premium home pet. And when she's thinking about something real hard, she'll start fidgeting with her rings. Um.. hrm... she carries around at least one poison at all times, somewhere on her (not always in the ring, damnit!)

My rogue has a cat allergy that's particularly virulant.

Jolena
11-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Well..Jolena is almost over it now.. but initially when she was younger she was deathly afraid of undead..to the point that if she was around them she would literally freeze up..couldn't speak, wouldn't hardly move..just whimper and kind of be in a daze. That was due to her past history with her human parents however. Um..she's also kind of known for being a tad stupid in that she is fiercely loyal to her family and will step up to anyone of any train in defense if she feels it's necessary.. not sure if that part is really a RP though.

Vixen
11-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Personal RPs.. hmmm Kasia is Ivasian and speaks to foxes in ancient Elvish. Among other completely awesome things I love to do with her

Valiria is Shepherdess of Icemule. And one of .. if not the.. only shepherdess in the lands. Its been a very long time in establishing.

My bardess Saoirsse... is scared to death of clerics.. She'd rather lay dead for hours than have one of those 'lifestuffers" touch her corpse. It cracks me up everytime she has to explain to someone why they are all evil.

Ilvane
11-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I loved hearing Saoirsse calling Arimantis a life stuffer.

-A

11-11-2003, 02:03 PM
heh I am The Edine... need I say more

Wezas
11-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The Edine

No, you're free to STFU.

Wezas
11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Where's Tayre with his sock fetish and Toolitis?

Rowi
11-11-2003, 03:26 PM
I have bad teeth in game, always pullin at that loose tooth.

Drew2
11-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Tayre is afraid of socks and has a violent reaction to them. He got that from his mother, Kleyn.

Here is the truth behind the socks, for all who ask -- We (Kleyn and I) have NO idea how it started. She started with it, taught the dangers and evils of socks to Tayre, then they both just kinda went with it. There's no real story behind it (yet) and we don't ever really clearly justify it, but we've been doing it a long time.

It's very annoying when people think it's funny to shove them in Tayre's face though. If you hated spiders would you want me throwing them on you or playing with them in front of you? No. People think it's funny when they wave socks around, but then they get angry and offended when Tayre slaps them around for it.

It's not that I (the player) have any feelings at all regarding socks, it just gets very old to have his 'friends' wave them around and play with him like that.

Anyway... yeah. Socks. Hates them.

His shoes have names, and he used to advertise it, but then people started giving him funny looks so he decided against that. Their names still exist though.

Zentoph
11-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Soroth prays, and does various sacrificing rituals to Luukos almost everytime I play..

There isn't much else other then that ;d

11-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Originally posted by The Edine

No, you're free to STFU.

you love me admit it

DCSL
11-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Oh, I thought of something! Lysistrata changes clothes every day that she's played. Part of her RP as a well-to-do, courtly, property-owning, titled elf.

I recently started a character on my boyfriend's largely unused account to be her handmaid. Which just means she'll never level and she's a locker character that hands stuff over to Lysistrata whenever it's needed. I role-play both. Strata will ask the handmaid for what she needs, and the handmaid will go get it. The handmaid will likely never leave the locker area in Landing but.. well.. it's RP, anyway.

Halfsilver
11-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Grays wears bits and peices of battered Vaalorian armor. His buckler is emblazoned with the vaalorian crest, as is his brig and his gauntlets.

I RP that he used to be a scout in the Vaalorian Army a while ago.
There's alot more to his story, but that's one of the only visible aspects of it.

-grays/d

Artha
11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
For some reason, I can't keep my hands out of Tayre's pockets.

edit: To steal -.-

[Edited on 11-11-2003 by Artha]

Drew2
11-11-2003, 06:26 PM
You know you're coping a feel. Don't lie.

Caiylania
11-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by DCSL
Oh, I thought of something! Lysistrata changes clothes every day that she's played. Part of her RP as a well-to-do, courtly, property-owning, titled elf.

I recently started a character on my boyfriend's largely unused account to be her handmaid. Which just means she'll never level and she's a locker character that hands stuff over to Lysistrata whenever it's needed. I role-play both. Strata will ask the handmaid for what she needs, and the handmaid will go get it. The handmaid will likely never leave the locker area in Landing but.. well.. it's RP, anyway.

I think that is some great RP!! Nobles did that, so nothing wrong with playing it out.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Dighn is the archetype Dhe'nari sorcerer. He follows the tenets and beliefs of his people to a fault. He believes all emotion betrays truth, and is locked in a struggle to remove perceived impurities from himself.

Personal character traits are his love of the cold, which is atypical of his kind.

StrayRogue
11-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Stay likes to travel places, do the odd contract etc. On his own he can be quite reflective, even a bit melancholic.

Caiylania
11-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Is it hard for any of you to RP the way you want? Do people judge/harass you?

One friend of mine RPs a very solitary figure who is struggling with past sins. He is very dark, and Caiylania's other friends do not understand why she tolerates him. But the RP is that he is learning to trust and confide in others, and Caiylania is that person right now.

Wezas
11-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Artha
For some reason, I can't keep my hands out of Tayre's pockets.
edit: To steal -.-
I know what you mean.
You reach into Tayre's pockets and pull out 157 silvers.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Is it hard for any of you to RP the way you want? Do people judge/harass you? >>

Dighn will not tolerate even the slightest amount of insolence from the lesser races.

DCSL
11-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Hm... Strata's been threatened with rape and murder for her snooty attitude concerning her view that elves should not be giving birth to anything but elves.

I guess you could call that harrassment, yeah. And surely judgement. But then, of course, Strata passes judgement on tainted elves herself, heh. It's all RP, anyway. I would hate Strata's attitude too, if I met her.. she would heartily disapprove of my interracial soon-to-be marriage, and I'd want to smack the points off her ears.

SpunGirl
11-13-2003, 03:23 AM
A few characteristics:

Naessi hates Ivas followers with a passion, because her mother was one of the worst kind. She has a very twisted view of what they're all about, because her mother was really in the minority as far as practices go.

She's an Eorgina zealot. In her mind, Eorgina worship saved her from a horrible fate.

She also changes her clothes, probably every two days or so. She hates dwarves (they smell bad) and doesn't like spiders, or people who wear them in their clothing.

Good thread.

I think it's interesting to note who has posted here, and who hasn't. I know there are a lot of people who post here that no longer play, which sucks. I also know there are a lot of people who post here who don't bother to RP at all, which sucks even worse.

But good thread:)

-K

Caiylania
11-13-2003, 03:37 AM
More people should have personal RP. I am still working on Caiy, trying to get her a bit more reserved and less girly because she is a warrior. Figured it wasn't very good RP to be giggling and such so much so I am working on it.

I have started always cleaning my sword after a hunt ( I mean, in RL they would rust and fall apart if you didn't clean off the blood and gore! ) and some friends comment how good I take care of my weapons and others just shake their heads.

SpunGirl
11-13-2003, 05:05 AM
More people should have personal RP. I am still working on Caiy, trying to get her a bit more reserved and less girly because she is a warrior. Figured it wasn't very good RP to be giggling and such so much so I am working on it.

I have started always cleaning my sword after a hunt ( I mean, in RL they would rust and fall apart if you didn't clean off the blood and gore! ) and some friends comment how good I take care of my weapons and others just shake their heads.

I wish more people would do stuff like this. People who realize it's fun to develop a personality beyond roleplyaing themselves, essentially, are what make GS fun.

-K

Killer Kitten
11-13-2003, 05:59 AM
Ti has a kitten thing. She carries a toy kitten around all the time. She also defends the Landing kitten, even getting arrested once for killing a guy she saw kicking it. She has a pink thing too. She'd rather be tipped a pink topaz than an uncut diamond, and she'll insist on dragging out a hunt till we get at least one pink thing.

My rogue mourns her lost husband, gone now for many years. She doesn't wear it out, but it's always there and part of her.

Kimm/Tilone

Sweets
11-13-2003, 10:11 AM
I love to act out the mundane everyday things. Sword cleaning being a great example.:grin:

Whatever my character is thinking or doing, I play it out. Eavesdropping, picking at lint, fidgeting, etc. I once got the comment, outloud of course, saying "Someone's bored." Nasty glance. But then again she said it seductively. *snickers* I find alot of people react this way in Gemstone. A little bit of roleplay flies right over their little tone deaf heads.

I had a character once that was deathly afraid of kittens. "I had a bad experience." A friend of hers would continuely drag her to the crate full of them in Icemule and dare her to touch them.
I like the little quirks characters develop.

What the heck is a mudance? Mundane....

[Edited on 11-13-2003 by Sweets]

Caiylania
11-13-2003, 10:19 AM
I know, it is what makes the game more real. I used to blink alot, drove people nuts so I dropped it.

But I only did it when someone was talking to me, because don't you notice when people blink? Figured it was something we do naturally so I thought it was good RP but they said it just made them feel like I was reacting to what they said.

>Caiylania blinks.

Caiylania
11-13-2003, 10:36 AM
I just thought it would be a fun thread :(

Wezas
11-13-2003, 10:37 AM
I am still working on Caiy, trying to get her a bit more reserved and less girly because she is a warrior.

Maybe if she carried around a pitchfo...

See, I stopped myself.

Kurili
11-13-2003, 12:00 PM
And while I do RP, I havent been posting much lately, and when I do post, I've been keeping it brief.

Acolyte Kurili

Fraidycat
11-13-2003, 02:15 PM
I felt that way too Daina.
I didnt want to say anything about my character here becouse of the effects it would have in game . . .
My character is easily one of the kindest in this game.
I wanted it to be novel and have a sorcerer who 'isnt' evil or dark or especially just nothing at all (no RP).
But I guess it wont hurt to share a lil onfo . . . (dun wanna seem like a bad RP'er ;) )
Shimm is gonna change his ways due to his constant racial abuse and public humilliation due to something he had no choice in at all.
Shame really . . .

HarmNone
11-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Fraidycat
I wanted it to be novel and have a sorcerer who 'isnt' evil or dark or especially just nothing at all (no RP).
But I guess it wont hurt to share a lil onfo . . . (dun wanna seem like a bad RP'er ;) )
Shimm is gonna change his ways due to his constant racial abuse and public humilliation due to something he had no choice in at all.
Shame really . . .

Nooo! Do not let others decide your roleplay for you (that is, if you are considering changing Shimm because of derogatory comments aimed at your RP).

I always thought there were too damned many evil dark elven sorcerers. It became a boring stereotype after awhile. It always seem to me that it would be fun to play a dark elven sorcerer who had undergone an epiphany and changed his/her evil ways for the ways of "truth and light". There could be some very meaty roleplay there for those who are up to it. :D

HarmNone is rooting for Shimm

Kurili
11-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Wichurana is truly Eevil. She frightens small animals and children.

And is a very stylish dresser too.

Acolyte Kurili

Dighn Darkbeam
11-13-2003, 04:05 PM
I always thought there were too damned many evil dark elven sorcerers. >>

Chuckle. If it isnt broke dont fix it. Dark elves are the most adept at sorcerery, and because of their culture and arts they are arrogant and powerhungry.

Its a bit hard to pull off being nice as a sorcerer. All of your arts are meant to bring pain and anguish. Why would someone of a kind hearted demeanor chose such a following?

Disclaimer: This is not in any way an attack on nice sorcerers, it is simply a defense of the tried and true Dark elven sorcerer archetypes.

Caiylania
11-13-2003, 04:27 PM
My friend has been trying that. He turned from dark ways and is trying to abide in his new path, but finds it hard. Many people judge on sight or don't understand him. He does it really well. I think.

Latrinsorm
11-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
Why would someone of a kind hearted demeanor chose such a following?

I can think of two reasons:

1) They're utterly racist. By which I mean: They are kind hearted when dealing with, say, humans elves giants and halflings, but everything else they don't consider as beings which have rights. Ergo: They wouldn't mind torturing them to death if they had to.

2) They're really evil. Really really evil. The kind-hearted thing is just a tactic to sucker you in, and out comes the evil. Evil! But they shouldn't wear any evil stuff. That would give it away.

But of course it makes far more sense your way. One really has to work at it to make my suggestions make sense.

Kurili
11-13-2003, 04:37 PM
2) They're really evil. Really really evil. The kind-hearted thing is just a tactic to sucker you in, and out comes the evil. Evil! But they shouldn't wear any evil stuff. That would give it away.

Shhhh...not supposed to give it away!!

Acolyte Kurili, grumbling

Fraidycat
11-13-2003, 05:04 PM
We shall see how Shimm takes pressure . . it is in his blood to let himself become hatred and solitude . . .
but he really is trying to stay nice :(

Dighn Darkbeam
11-13-2003, 05:14 PM
You should have added:

smile as a muscle in his lower jaw begins to twitch. You notice his hands rapidly clenching and unclenching in seemingly involuntary spasms.

Sometimes its easier to just pay the fine. Shrugs.

Artha
11-13-2003, 05:23 PM
My Khanshael warrior is super haughty, and doesn't like Empaths (non-Painstealers, anyway) much. I haven't had time to develop habbits or specific hatreds/loves (aside from your average Khanshael stuff) with him, as I've been playing my rogue a bit lately.

SpunGirl
11-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Lady Daina

Originally posted by SpunGirl
I think it's interesting to note who has posted here, and who hasn't. I know there are a lot of people who post here that no longer play, which sucks. I also know there are a lot of people who post here who don't bother to RP at all, which sucks even worse.

But good thread:)

-K

Ok, so anyone who has not posted their personal RP in this thread is being accused of NOT R/P'ing? :?: Nice.

Maybe some people haven't posted their PERSONAL R/P here because they're of a mind that if people want to know they can get to know the character in-game and learn all their little quirks for themselves.

I, personally, don't want everyone who reads here knowing every little thing about ANY of my girls, having never interacted with them in game. How much would THAT suck, having someone come up to you in game and knowing all of your little habits and likes/dislikes, when by all rights they shouldn't even know your name?

Too many people can't separate for my taste, so I have chosen not to post my PERSONAL R/P here. I think it's pathetic that this would cause me to be accused of not RP'ing at all. :thumbsdown:

Woah, woah, that is not what I meant at all. I'm sorry you took it that way, but that's not AT ALL what I meant.

Maybe it could be summed up very nicely in a simple sentence: I wish people would put more thought into their RP, because it would make the game better for all of us. That's all.

-K

Dighn Darkbeam
11-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Maybe it could be summed up very nicely in a simple sentence: I wish people would put more thought into their RP, because it would make the game better for all of us. That's all.>>

Was this comment originally directed at me? I am not accusing you, simply curious.

Fraidycat
11-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Yeah Spungirl . . .
I'm sorry fer implying you meant that.
I'm an ass when I've had a bad day.

Place finger here for instant good feelings _____
/ \
\_____/

Fraidycat
11-13-2003, 07:43 PM
well that went wrong .. ..
Im just a big ass arnt I ::pout pout::

(although I am the best looking person I know ::cackles madly::)

SpunGirl
11-13-2003, 09:29 PM
No, Dighn, that wasn't directed at you, I was simply clarifying what I thought. No apologies are necessary, I just wanted to make it clear what I was implying... which is... RP is nice, and we don't see nearly enough of it.
-K

Dighn Darkbeam
11-13-2003, 09:43 PM
No, Dighn, that wasn't directed at you, I was simply clarifying what I thought. No apologies are necessary, I just wanted to make it clear what I was implying... which is... RP is nice, and we don't see nearly enough of it. >>

Ah, I see. We all misinterpreted your post, thinking that you disapproved of a specific person's roleplay that posted, or someone(s) else(s) that failed to post.

I see your point now. Seems I am an addict for clarity.

SpunGirl
11-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Eh, sometimes I just fire off something and just because I know what I mean, doesn't mean everyone else will. That's what you get when you take one girl, frustrated beyond belief at her crappy ass job, and put her on the Player's Corner.

Thankfully that won't be a problem much longer:)

-K

Jolena
11-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone

Originally posted by Fraidycat
Shame really . . .

Nooo! Do not let others decide your roleplay for you (that is, if you are considering changing Shimm because of derogatory comments aimed at your RP).

I always thought there were too damned many evil dark elven sorcerers. It became a boring stereotype after awhile. It always seem to me that it would be fun to play a dark elven sorcerer who had undergone an epiphany and changed his/her evil ways for the ways of "truth and light". There could be some very meaty roleplay there for those who are up to it. :D

HarmNone is rooting for Shimm

Yes I completely understand wanting to change your RP because people keep bashing you for it and it makes your game experience unenjoyable after so much. I honestly considered giving up my RP for Jo being pregnant in a miscarriage or such because of people who continuously bashed it.. it got to the point that I didn't enjoy it anymore. After speaking to a few really good friends however and even some who didn't approve of it but still condoned my 'right' to RP how I want.. I decided against it. Don't ever change your RP on a character you have simply to please someone else. I continued through with Jo's pregnancy and I am very very pleased that I did now.

Shari
11-25-2003, 12:39 AM
Let's see....Well first and foremost, Jesae is a vegetarian. Most people don't know this because she doesn't really eat in public, but she does make comments about those who choose to eat meat around her.

Someone in the park the other day was eating smoke iguana or something like that and she just freaked out about how "barbaric" it is.

My bardess is somewhat modeld after Lysistrata. (Sorry, Dex, I love that character) She's a bit more subdued though. While very classy and regal in her mannerisms, she's trouble. She uses her noble charm and influence to steal from those when they're distracted by her. Jesae dresses to look beautiful because she's a wirey scarecrow (no chest or butt, poor girl) But my bard delibrately uses her smoking good looks to her advantage.

You will also never catch her without a cup of tea in her hands unless she is hunting too.

Lastly, my aelotoi sorceress. The hardest character I've ever played. After years of torture on her home planet she is a certifiable nut-case. She talks to herself when no one is in the room, waves warding charms and protection charms around her and twitches constantly.

Someone tried telling her that now that she was "freed" from her old master that HE was her master now, and she just went ballistic. It was great.