PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

06-21-2003, 05:54 PM
So I went to Barnes & Noble at 10pm last night and waited until 12:01 to get my book. There were hundreds upon hundreds there (massive Reno store) and somehow waaaay over 1000 tickets were given out. What's worse, a large number were there that didn't preorder! Anyway, I made it out of there and I'm on chapter 12 as we speak.

Maaaaan, this is some freaky stuff! So far though, I hafta say...

Best... Potter... EVER!

Thoughts?

- --[ Klaive ]-- - :bouncy:

Red Devil
06-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Why didn't you just kungfu the book outta some fat nerd's hand and take it? free book and you wouldn't have had to wait so long, or is that you did?

Black Jesus
06-22-2003, 12:36 PM
actually thats what happened to him so he had to go back and wait on line to get another one.

SpunGirl
06-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Luckily I live in a small town. I'm enjoying the book as well.

-K

06-24-2003, 04:32 AM
I don't fight unless first provoked. I got there early and had a decent ticket number, so no, I didn't "Kung Fu" any fat nerds.

I finished the book two nights ago. Now I'm depressed. It was definately the best one so far. But I've never seen such a dark Harry Potter. They've been getting progressively darker though. I assume this will continue.

Don't read this book to your kids or little siblings unless you want them crying. I don't care what anyone says, this isn't a children's book. It's too long for children and the subject matter is pretty graphic and dark. Now I'd let my kids read it, but obviously, when I have kids, their IQs will be incredible (it's genetics) and they'll grow up with what society may consider "questionable" morals. I doubt most kids, however, will find it easy to emotionally deal with the things that happen. It's pretty bad. :(

- --[ Klaive ]-- -

SpunGirl
06-24-2003, 05:25 PM
I thought the scene in number four where Cedric dies, not to mention Wormtail's arm getting cut off, was pretty grisly. I'd worry about reading it to kids.

Of course, this is from the girl who read Thomas Harris' "The Silence of the Lambs" at age 11 because my parents were big meanies and wouldn't let me watch the movie.

-K

Savanae
06-24-2003, 05:31 PM
What age range would you feel would be aproprate to read the book Klaive? I have been buying the books for my neice and she loves them. She is eleven and I would really hate to tell her sorry sweetie but you can't read this one.

I read the others before giving them to her and plan to do the same with this one, I guess I am just looking for a heads up since she has been pestering me since friday to hurry up and read it already.

Savanae

Black Jesus
06-24-2003, 06:09 PM
in order to have kids you have to get laid. thats not happening klaive.

CrystalTears
06-24-2003, 06:19 PM
If the child has been reading all the other books and hasn't had a problem with them, as "dark" as this one may be, I wouldn't deny the child of reading it and letting them experience even dark matters as a child. It would be cruel to keep them from reading one book from the series simply because of what lies in it. Difficult and dark situations will always happen, and if they can learn from it from their literary hero, all the better. Heck most, if not all, of the Disney movies revolves around a child having to deal with the death of a loved one. It's still geared towards children, and if they want to read it, more power to them. Gee as long as they read. So many children are deprived of that.

[Edited on 6/24/2003 by CrystalTears]

Black Jesus
06-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Children should read only the bible.

Spare the rod spoil the child!

CrystalTears
06-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Sure, read the bible. Fiction is good. :D

Savanae
06-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
If the child has been reading all the other books and hasn't had a problem with them, as "dark" as this one may be, I wouldn't deny the child of reading it and letting them experience even dark matters as a child. It would be cruel to keep them from reading one book from the series simply because of what lies in it. Difficult and dark situations will always happen, and if they can learn from it from their literary hero, all the better. Heck most, if not all, of the Disney movies revolves around a child having to deal with the death of a loved one. It's still geared towards children, and if they want to read it, more power to them. Gee as long as they read. So many children are deprived of that.

[Edited on 6/24/2003 by CrystalTears]

The only problem that I am having is that I live in texas and she is in New York, I feel that I should be there when she reads it incase a problem develops. I don't know if she would talk to her grandmother or her grandfather if she was having trouble copeing with the story. Unfortunatly I am not sure the responce she would get from either of them if she did either.

Then again maybe I just worry to much and should finish the book before I get parinoid about how she will handle it. :smilegrin:

Black Jesus
06-24-2003, 08:11 PM
buy her the Torah instead

CrystalTears
06-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Someone has a one track mind around here. :D

Black Jesus
06-24-2003, 09:21 PM
fiction sucks, the bible and the koran are the ONLY non-fiction works that exist. all other books are impliments of satan. reject them, repent, and be saved by the almighty lord!

06-25-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Savanae
What age range would you feel would be aproprate to read the book Klaive? I have been buying the books for my neice and she loves them. She is eleven and I would really hate to tell her sorry sweetie but you can't read this one.

I read the others before giving them to her and plan to do the same with this one, I guess I am just looking for a heads up since she has been pestering me since friday to hurry up and read it already.

Savanae

That's perfect. See, age ranges are BS. What matters is the maturity of the child reading it.

Most people shouldn't read it until 13-17. Assuming they have the stamina at that age to make it through 870 pages. But then, some five year olds could read it. I guarantee that the meaning behind most of the stuff that happens won't sink in, but if they're mature enough to handle it, there's no issue.

The Harry Potter books CAN be good for children. They will certainy enhance reading skills and vocabulary. And let's face it, there's nothing cuter than an 8 year old American kid using obscure British Lingo.

But honestly, I believe that J.K. Rowling meant what she said in one of her interviews just after book four was released.

She said that the series was never intended for children. She says she wrote the first book with middle teens in mind and planned for the subject matter to grow in maturity along with her target audience.

It's Scholastic that chooses to market the book for children.

Then again, giving Book 5 to a 13 year old may be dangerous since they'll understand what certain words mean. For example:

"But you can't take that from us!", Ron ejaculated loudly.

How mature is your neice? Can she handle reading about characters she's come to care about die? Can she handle blood, gore and betrayal? Would she enjoy seeing justice done and the bad guy getting beat down?

If you answered yes to most of these, I see nothing wrong with her reading them. But if she can't cope with these things... because book 5 is full of hardship and injustice... I wouldn't recommend she read it.

- --[ Klaive ]-- -

06-25-2003, 01:36 AM
By the way, by "dangerous" I mean... there's a large chance of the 13 year old noticing the word and laughing about it. I wouldn't care myself. But if you're strict, then it could be an issue. ::shrugs::

- --[ Klaive ]-- -

:bouncy:

CrystalTears
06-25-2003, 02:23 AM
I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but you can't say for certain that the bible (I don't know much about the koran) is non-fiction. They are stories handed down through the years. Now don't get me wrong.. I believe in many of those stories because I was brought up a Catholic, but I can't blindly believe in a book full of stories told thousands of years ago without thinking that they were altered someone through the years before written in text. But that's just me.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I should read these books. I hadn't read any of them and only saw the movie and I fell in love with the characters. So it's nice to see many adults still enjoying this series.

SpunGirl
06-25-2003, 03:21 AM
I remember reading Susan Kay's "Phantom" in the fifth grade (it's a sort of loooooonger version of the Phantom of the Opera story, and it's one of my favorite books). I cried through the entire part where the Phantom's mother realizes she's just given birth to a deformed child and is trying to figure out why it happened to her. I also cried every time she beat him and was cruel to him.

Maybe it wasn't the best thing to be reading about at 10, but I also truly enjoyed the story and it enhanced my experience when I went and saw the musical a year later. My point is that books with scary stuff in them might evoke strong emotions in children, but it's GOOD if they have someone to talk about it with (like an Aunt) that can answer questions they have and talk about why parts of the book made them sad, scared, et cetera.

-K

Warriorbird
06-25-2003, 04:17 PM
There's incest, rape, sexual slavery, and implied gay sex in the Bible. Houris in the Koran.

Not suitable for kids.

SpunGirl
06-27-2003, 01:27 PM
I'll never forget sitting in church and listening to some sermon where something in the bible was read that talks about a guy who had two male visitors at his house. The townsmen came out and hollered for the guy to oust his guests so they could rape them. The guy said that gay sex was wrong, he wouldn't turn away his guests, but he would send out his daughters instead.

Nice folks in the bible.

-K

Bobmuhthol
06-27-2003, 08:16 PM
I was in the local wholesale warehouse deely, and I said, "Wow. Look at this all this stuff. And so many people." I pretty much stood in the same place for a little while, then walked over to a setup of three different TVs/monitors. They were playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I looked over to my left and there was a 4-5 year old Harry Potter walking by, sporting a robe, wand, glasses, Harry-style hair, even a plastic nose. I loved it.

End communication.

Red Devil
06-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
I was in the local wholesale warehouse deely, and I said, "Wow. Look at this all this stuff. And so many people." I pretty much stood in the same place for a little while, then walked over to a setup of three different TVs/monitors. They were playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I looked over to my left and there was a 4-5 year old Harry Potter walking by, sporting a robe, wand, glasses, Harry-style hair, even a plastic nose. I loved it.

End communication.

You spout off so much crazy shit if I wasn't me i'd think you were

[Edited on 7-1-2003 by Red Devil]

Savanae
06-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Well I finished the book now and I don't think my neice will have too much trouble with it. She still has to finish the others first before she can even start this one and she now knows she can call me at any hour if she feels the need to.

Thanks again for your help.

Savanae