PDA

View Full Version : Bows Vs. Crossbows

DarknessWithin
11-10-2003, 03:33 AM
Might anyone know the reason people choose crossbows over say, a longbow? Is there an advantage besides the +50 to AS when kneeling that I don't know about? Or is it just personal choice?

IMO, it seems like in the time that someone knelt, fired, stood, cocked their heavy crossbow, reloaded & repeated that I with my longbow could be standing there firing off my second arrow by at least a second or two earlier. Plus I wouldn't be at head level with the critters fist. ::snickers:: Am i wrong?

Can someone explain this to me? I are confused... :spin:

StrayRogue
11-10-2003, 05:04 AM
Its all about speed an AvDs. Bows are quicker. However, you could theoretically fire off eight shots with a crossbow in about 20 seconds.

Soulpieced
11-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Its all about speed an AvDs. Bows are quicker. However, you could theoretically fire off eight shots with a crossbow in about 20 seconds.

I can fire 20 shots with a composite bow in 20 seconds.

Tendarian
11-10-2003, 09:30 AM
If you are not an old bard or a wizard with haste i like the light crossbow better as i can split up the 6 second rt of the longbow (aiming) into two 3 second rts(3 seconds cocking,3 seconds shooting). Makes it easier to dance with and i get the +50 wallup. If i had access to make my shots take 1 second with a bow tho id probably go that way too.

Trinitis
11-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Speaking strickly of bonuses of crossbows over bows..I *think* (not 100% sure..) that crossbows hit harder then normal bows..but I can't say for sure.

-Adredrin

sevas
11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
The DF of a crossbow is slightly higher than that of a longbow. It could be just the AvD. I also heard somewhere a long time ago that the crossbow's aim better than a longbow does, could be wrong though. Finally each ranged weapon has its own advantages. This is my post copied from the 'Weapon of Choice' topic in the archery folder.

Originally posted by sevas
My archer had one of everything. He would bring out what worked best for each hunt. For example, if you are hunting something that doesnt crit and swarms, go with a shortbow. If your hunting something that crits and swarms go with a longbow. On the other end if they dont crit and dont swarm go with a light crossbow. If they do crit and dont swarm go with a heavy crossbow. The method i use has worked for me since the 'first generation' of archery. Just my 2 cents.

StrayRogue
11-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced

I can fire 20 shots with a composite bow in 20 seconds.

So whats going to do more damage? A;; those heavy crossbow hits with +50 AS, or 20 composite bow shots? Hmmm.

DarknessWithin
11-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Hmmm...ok...so even if there were an advantage over the other, it doesn't seem like one that makes much difference? It's mainly just preference?

And I have heard that heavy crossbows tend to fire harder then lights. The whole kneeling thing still makes me weary though. But it's cool, my silver-veined black willow bow and I are just peachy

Speaker
11-10-2003, 05:18 PM
The bow you can fire the fastest is your best bet. :thumbsup:

On a side note, bows can dish out some of the most damage over time, only second to wizard spells I think. This was atleast true in GS3, not sure about GS4 though. :?:

-Speaker

Artha
11-10-2003, 06:04 PM
So whats going to do more damage? A;; those heavy crossbow hits with +50 AS, or 20 composite bow shots? Hmmm.

With the crossbow, you'd better hope your first 5 are a stun, or there's only 1 creature, or you're stunned and kneeling.

StrayRogue
11-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Someone remind me exactly how much rt is it to squeeze a trigger for a H. Crossbow?

Parkbandit
11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Someone remind me exactly how much rt is it to squeeze a trigger for a H. Crossbow?

Squeezing the trigger is only 2 I think... but it's 6 to cock.

StrayRogue
11-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Ok, I could shoot 10 shots in 20 seconds then. Or three heavy Xbow shots in 6. Yeah, sounds possible.

Neildo
11-17-2003, 07:33 PM
The appeal of a crossbow is being able to kill in one shot with the power it has. It's also great for being an initial attack if you're trained in weapons other than archery. Using it as a set-up to leg something and deal tons of damage is awesome for only a 2-3 second attack.

Yes, a regular bow will deal more damage "over time", but why wait around for 5-10 bow shots when you can kill in one crossbow shot? The longer a critter remains alive, the higher chance of death you have.

Bows only come out on top of crossbows when it comes to non-corpreal undead (unless the monster doesn't have high health).

- N

[Edited on 11/18/03 by Neildo]

Artha
11-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Cocking = forced to offensive + RT. That's the worst part about crossbows IMO.

AnticorRifling
11-17-2003, 08:47 PM
I carry two heavy crossbows. I just macro it. 1 shot to stun 1 to kill or stun the second critter. I won't take on a swarm with any bow, not alone. Picking and choosing your battles is key.