PDA

View Full Version : Free MIT Education Just A Click Away

Kefka
01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
By the end of this year, the contents of all 1,800 courses taught at one of the world's most prestigious universities will be available online to anyone in the world, anywhere in the world. Learners won't have to register for the classes, and everyone is accepted.

The cost? It's all free of charge.

The OpenCourseWare movement, begun at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 2002 and now spread to some 120 other universities worldwide, aims to disperse knowledge far beyond the ivy-clad walls of elite campuses to anyone who has an Internet connection and a desire to learn.

Intended as an act of "intellectual philanthropy," OpenCourseWare (OCW) provides free access to course materials such as syllabi, video or audio lectures, notes, homework assignments, illustrations, and so on. So far, by giving away their content, the universities aren't discouraging students from enrolling as students. Instead, the online materials appear to be only whetting appetites for more.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/04/business/main2330160.shtml

AestheticDeath
01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
sweet

Artha
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm excited.

Celephais
01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
That's going to look great on my resume.

Sean of the Thread
01-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Great idea! Or not.

Artha
01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
What's bad about it?

Sean of the Thread
01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Hmmm... higher tuition paid by real students to foot the bill of teaching terrorists nuclear physics? Who do you think is paying for it?

Back
01-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Hmmm... higher tuition paid by real students to foot the bill of teaching terrorists nuclear physics? Who do you think is paying for it?

Ooo, scared much?

Sean of the Thread
01-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Not at all.

Artha
01-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Where's it say they're paying higher cost? I imagine most teachers these days have at least rudimentary notes taken on their computer, and it's trivial to transfer those notes from a PC to a server. Considering it's MIT, I'm sure they've got a cost effective way [grad students] to do any real workhorse jobs.

Sean of the Thread
01-05-2007, 09:47 PM
It will still cost a fortune and that money has to come from somewhere.

Stanley Burrell
01-05-2007, 11:08 PM

I am.

1/0n --> 235U --> 236U --> 3(1/0n) + 92Kr 141Ba.

Hopefully some motor neuron capacity will be emphasized on bandwidth and I think 400 level courses should be more discreet as the nature of such an academic badge doesn't really deserve to be exploited. I am aware that may or may not sound pretentiously asshatted.

Kranar
01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
It will still cost a fortune and that money has to come from somewhere.

For most prestigious universities, of which MIT is the best, tuition costs account for less than 20 percent of the operating budget.

Most of the money a university recieves comes from corporations, government, and alumni. Prestigious universities don't make much money teaching students, they make a crapload of money through innovation, research and technology which is of interest to people/entities with a heck of a lot of money to spend.

Many students at MIT actually get paid to attend the university for this reason.

Sean of the Thread
01-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Well they sure like to raise tuition a lot for it not meaning anything.. Fact is it will cost money and no matter where in the conga line it comes from it will still be passed on.

I could have gone to RIT for free... man hindsight being 20/20 is a bitch.

Latrinsorm
01-06-2007, 09:51 AM
...except then you'd have to live in Rochester. :\

thornhappy
01-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey asshole. I live in Rochester.

And yes, it sucks.

That is all, carry on.

Bobmuhthol
01-06-2007, 12:04 PM
1 in 10 people at RIT were not in the top half of their graduating high school class. What a privilege it would be to go there...

TheEschaton
01-06-2007, 12:22 PM
RIT blows almost as much as Rochester. I may be biased, being a Buffalonian, but whateva.

-TheE-

ElanthianSiren
01-06-2007, 02:28 PM
One of the coolest things I've seen IMO. It also lets you study the rough framework of a course ahead of time (that you're not taking at MIT).

-M

Sean of the Thread
01-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Sadly I'm from the shitty city known as Rochester.

RIT ranks among top master’s universities

Co-op program excels; ranking puts COB in top 4 percent in nation
Most of the college rankings will appear in the Sept. 1 U.S. News & World Report magazine.

RIT has again received high marks in the annual U.S. News & World Report: America’s Best Colleges. Since the magazine began ranking colleges in 1983, RIT has consistently been listed among top regional universities.

Weighing in as a leader in the 2004 U.S. News survey, RIT ranked seventh overall in the Best Universities—Master’s (by region—North) category, and second in academic reputation (decided by peer assessment).

In its second year, the “Programs that Work” category placed RIT in the top-10 group for its cooperative education program, with schools such as Antioch, Cal Poly, Georgia Institute of Technology and Northwestern. The category, says U.S. News, presents a list of schools “with outstanding examples of academic programs that lead to student success.”

In addition, due to RIT’s new microsystems Ph.D. program, U.S. News ranked RIT’s engineering undergraduate programs differently, moving them from the master’s-degree group to the doctoral-degree group, in a tie at 77th with schools such as University of Rochester, Rensselaer Polytechnic University, Tulane University and the University of Cincinnati. U.S. News & World Report bases its engineering rankings on ratings by deans and senior faculty of peer institutions in their disciplines.

“We’re pleased to be among these exemplary doctoral-level schools and look forward to their peer reviews in upcoming years,” says Harvey Palmer, dean of the Kate Gleason College of Engineering.

RIT’s College of Business continued its successful ranking in the “Best Undergraduate Business Programs,” tied at 53 with schools like Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Santa Clara and Baylor universities. Business rankings—with 1,400 U.S. business schools that include 406 accredited schools—are based on peer assessments. “The U.S. News ranking puts RIT’s College of Business in the top 4 percent of all U.S. business schools,” notes Thomas Hopkins, dean of the college.

As a “best value,” RIT ranked eighth in the Master’s category for northern regional universities. The value rankings relate academic quality with the cost of attending a college or university (including financial aid). Says U.S. News, “The higher the quality of the program and the lower the cost, the better the deal.” U.S. News considered only schools ranked in the top half of their categories, noting they “believe the most significant values are among colleges that are above average academically.”

As part of its formula for rankings, U.S. News surveyed officials at 1,400 accredited four-year colleges and universities. U.S. News bases its comprehensive university rankings on peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources and alumni giving.

The newsstand book, America’s Best Colleges, will be available Sept. 1. To see the rankings online, visit

Bobmuhthol
01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
That's cool.

http://www.bentley.edu/news-events/national_attention_ranking.cfm

TheEschaton
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
You're from Rochester? I don't believe it, we're all union Democrats upstate.

-TheE-

Sean of the Thread
01-06-2007, 03:43 PM
What do you want a cookie? All I was saying is I passed on a free tuition via waivers.. my father was a professor there. You said it wouldn't have been an honor to attend when all I was saying is it's clearly one of the best. Thus you're wrong.

6 Bentley College(MA)

7 Rochester Inst. of Technology(NY)

Really stomped RIT in the ratings from the looks of it. If you want to brag goto MIT or stfu.

Bobmuhthol
01-06-2007, 04:24 PM
<<You said it wouldn't have been an honor to attend when all I was saying is it's clearly one of the best. Thus you're wrong.>>

Again, 10% of the freshman class had a lower rank than over half the people at their high school. Thus RIT sucks.

<<my father was a professor there.>>

Not earning acceptance ftw.

Sean of the Thread
01-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Lol I keep forgetting you're just a boy. If I were you I'd keep working hard on your SAT.. gonna need to beef it up a tad.

Stanley Burrell
01-06-2007, 04:52 PM
You're from Rochester? I don't believe it, we're all union Democrats upstate.

-TheE-

Hahaha, QFT x 10^100

Now then; rofflemfao, for just a bit more than a few trillion too many reasons. In short:

It is exactly the habits of the IT degree program's student population moreso than any other branch of RIT says more than just a little bit about it being ...interesting... in comparison to, say, a Howard-IT metaphor, let alone MIT.

No, I will not bother to explain my understatement as my pretentious past tense is stated in this vBulletin thread's stone tablet.