PDA

View Full Version : HEPL w/INTERWEB!!

The Ponzzz
01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Seriously... I moved to a new place last week, and have had issues ever since. It's with Time Warner cable, and I have Road Runner(cable connection). Since day one I've had serious issues. I've had 3 techs come out here and all tell me different things, I've called nearly 20 times to try to get this fixed.

From tests, I am losing packets. Seems like it's not enough to really fuck up a test, but enough to disconnect me from just about any game and appears as lag for anything on the net.

Last guy I talked to said all he can do is send another tech out. I've had all my cable shit switched out and rewired to the house. I do have a router, but for testing purposes, I tried connecting directly to the cable modem to see how it went. Just as bad.

The one thing I found odd was, instead of using one massive long line, they had a series of 16 splitters running through the place, which I went ahead and got rid and hooked just one 50 foot line which splits up once for my digital cable and cable modem.

I'm out of ideas, the only real issue other than not gaming at fucking all(withdrawls are obvious here), is I can't do any work from home. From 5pm-8pm I connect to my network at work to do a lot of shit, along with answer a lot of emails. It's just not fucking possible at all(the network is real slow to begin with).

SO anyways, any ideas would be great!

Sean of the Thread
01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
HEAD TO THE CHOPPERZ AND GET AL GORE ON TEH PHONE!!!!

Jazuela
01-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Could it be the type of splitting going on? I know with DSL and phone lines, any splitting has to result in 2-pair wires minimum, and all splits have to be pairs. Three wires - no good. Five wires - no good. 4, 8, 16 - all good. Plus with DSL it's all about the filters.

I've heard Road Runner sucks but that shouldn't have too much to do with it. Might want to look into a new modem, maybe the one you have is defective. Oh and that cable for the TV, they say you have to hook up so they can communicate with you? You don't have to hook it up. Your digitial TV should work just fine without it. That's just the cable company's method of peeking in on your viewing habits and sending you messages that you are forced to read if you want to get rid of that annoying blinking red light on your cable box. I know - not related, but just saying.

thornhappy
01-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Get DSL from a different provider.. Time Warner is horrendous in our area, especially if you're using wireless. I lived with an employee of the company and they still couldn't fix our digital phone and Roadrunner.. supposedly for the same packet problems.

Back
01-04-2007, 08:28 AM
From tests, I am losing packets. Seems like it's not enough to really fuck up a test, but enough to disconnect me from just about any game and appears as lag for anything on the net.

You need to find out at what point you are loosing info. Before it gets to your house, before it gets to your computer, after it comes through your computer...

Only way I know how to accomplish that is to call the cable company for a technician. They can check signal strength at any point in the line. I had the same problem years ago and the guy figured out it was further up the line than the cable running into my apartment.

The Ponzzz
01-04-2007, 11:39 AM
It's losing info before and after it hits the cable modem. Techs all claim the signal strength is excellent, problem is, I know it's not. The place I'm at offers free basic cable and I believe the problem is that the line splits off in the guy who lives upstairs, but the outside line hits him first. But to be honest, i really don't know.

The cable company says it's no different than the lines being buried under the ground and being split that way.

Lastly, the DSL company won't hook me up due to not being a customer with them(wtf?), so it's this or dial up...

Landrion
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Get DSL from a different provider.. Time Warner is horrendous in our area, especially if you're using wireless. I lived with an employee of the company and they still couldn't fix our digital phone and Roadrunner.. supposedly for the same packet problems.

That sounds right to me.