PDA

View Full Version : Getting Involved and now knowing how

Caiylania
11-09-2003, 01:29 PM
It is hard for me it seems to get involved in quests and roleplaying adventures. To put it simply, I have never been in one.

Most of my friends look at me cross eyed when I try to RP (umm.. hon? What is DS and AS?) Caiy.. its how hard you can hit and defend.

Yeah.......

When I go to Hearthstone its empty and I really don't know other good RP areas or how to get involved with ongoing storylines.

Help and advice appreciated.

It probably doesn't help I'm only level 16 but still, I want to get involved.

PS: I am 6 hours ahead of EST as well, I have to get up at 3am just to join anything that starts around 9pm (which seems to be the favorite time to do anything)

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by Caiylania]

Drew2
11-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Well unless you're like the assorted Quest Whores that are out there, the quests will come to you eventually. Tayre was very midly invovled in the Thurfel Quest only because people who were REALLY involved had a history with Tayre that wove into it sorta. It's a long story.

The morph quest... I think I'll blame Daina for that. She lured Tayre into it by promising trouble. I think I officially became involved when I was imploded to River's Rest. When someone throws you violently into a hole in space, you kinda grow fond.

Of course, it's not in Tayre's RP to really actually care about what's going on.. he's just there to get in the way and cause trouble whenever he can, so that's what I did.

But anyway... just stick around... make yourself at home wherever you are... get friends.. you'll fall into a quest eventually.

StrayRogue
11-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Kiss GM ass, is my best advice or ask Maimara *runs 4eva*

[Edited on 9-11-03 by StrayRogue]

theotherjohn
11-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Caiylania

Help and advice appreciated.

Look at official boards, pick out names of people always involved in quests, highlight those names, when they log in go to where they are.

continue to visit known watched areas such as HS and RP even if you see no one

join active house or PRO

go to official Simu events and get known

go to official Simu events and kiss ass... literally

Drew2
11-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Look at official boards, pick out names of people always involved in quests, highlight those names, when they log in go to where they are.

Completely, utterly, 100% OOC.

theotherjohn
11-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Tayre

Originally posted by theotherjohn

Completely, utterly, 100% OOC.

Completely, utterly, 100% OOC and effective

StrayRogue
11-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Yep, but every quest whore does it, then, ironically, bitches about everyone else about not being an uber RPer. Go figure.

Hips
11-09-2003, 02:21 PM
The way it happened to Michiko (for the v'reen quest) is that she happened to be there when the morphs came, when Larchus lost Tabienne.

I was actually there to hunt Thurfel's Cellar, but happened to be in town when everything started going crazy. So... I guess it was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Another way would to join one of the PRO's, like the Fury. They usually get involved in stuff like this.

Artha
11-09-2003, 02:35 PM
RP all the time. Even when you don't think you're being watched. It doesn't have to be spectacular, just don't say things like AS/DS (even to question others about them). If a GM happens to be watching the room, and you go OOC, they'll remember it and might be alittle hesitant about getting you involved in a quest later.

Highlight the names of NPCs in a quest. For example, with the GSS, highlight Ulstram, Morvule, Eryael, and Draezir. When they log on, try to get where they are.

Become familiar with the main movers and shakers. Get to know their names and their characters, and get them to know yours. While I know alot of them won't mind getting others involved, if they know you, and they play a main part, you're more likely to get involved.

Be attentive. The last quest I was involved in, I got involved in because I was running from an invasion and noticed someone with an odd item that looked like what the critters were looking for.

Learn your geography. Learn how to move about the different towns, it'll make chasing things in town alot easier.

Move to America. You'll thank yourself later.

Caiylania
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Artha
Move to America. You'll thank yourself later.

Ummm, would love to. My husband is stationed here though so unless he goes AWOL and deserts, I would have to leave my family. For GS? Don't think so.

Thankyou all for the advice, I have been trying to not be OOC and think I'm doing well. Trying to get my friends into it by not replying to them when they do. Even hunting alone I yell insults at my enemy and play it out. Its fun.

I know what merchant whores are in PC terms... but how can one be a quest whore? Isn't it good when people want to be involved?

Dighn Darkbeam
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
It helps to be in smaller towns and are aware of the current gossip and news. In larger towns its mostly luck or walking into an invasion.

Dighn Darkbeam
11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
but how can one be a quest whore? Isn't it good when people want to be involved? >>>

Some quests have to do with a specific town or events surrounding an area. When people travel half way across Elanthia to be involved in a quest that mostly involves locals, they are often accused of such.

Do I blame people for following quests? No. Some of the best gameplay I have had was during a quest, so I can easily see why people would wish to get involved as often as possible.

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by Dighn Darkbeam]

Caiylania
11-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Thankyou Darkbeam, honestly. I guess that makes a point, if locals feel that outsiders are getting involved in something that they shouldn't.

Are quests number limited? I mean, merchants only take so many, so if someone with 30 alters, goes to five in a row and gets picked everytime or whatever, I can see getting pissed at them. But if quests are not limited, I can't see getting mad at someone for wanting to RP. But if they ARE limited, and its for locals, then I guess I can see antipathy towards those who butt in from across the lands.

Drew2
11-09-2003, 03:15 PM
HELL NO. There are ALWAYS the same few people involved in almost EVERY quest, no matter who else is there. There's no limit.

theotherjohn
11-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Caiylania
But if they ARE limited, and its for locals, then I guess I can see antipathy towards those who butt in from across the lands.

The quests are not limited.

What bothers some is that the same people will be involved in every quest regardless of location

Silleck
11-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Send a large cash payment to simu, then you'll be in a quest!

GSLeloo
11-09-2003, 03:26 PM
A lot of quests and those types of things, I get into just because of who I know. Like I have several (IG) relatives in Fury, married to Syberus, and since I am usually around them, I get caught up in what they do.

Evelith
11-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Join the Fury, Join the Fury, Join the Fury!! Hehe, just kidding. The strict rules of the Northern Fury are not for everyone. Poor Tayre is about to pull his adoreably floppy hair out during our drills! :P

Anyways, my one bit of advice is this: Be persistent. There are some people who are just so super cool that they are noticed the second they walk into an area; for the rest of us, we have to work on it. I wanted to get Eve involved in the GSS Quest and it took me..about three months to get her firmly cemented into the plot. Keep at it!

Also, be willing and open to change. The most awesome aspect of a quest, in my opinion, is the depth it can add to your character *if you let it*. While I'm certainly not advocating flopping sides on a daily basis, just keep an open mind.

If you don't want to join a house or PRO, I would suggest finding a few of the prominent members and wriggling your way into their lives. It's sad but true: most of the big RP events surround friends. If you're friends with so-and-so, who just happens to be friends with big-shot-Quester, your chances of being in the know are increased.

Sar~

Hips
11-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Evelith
Poor Tayre is about to pull his adoreably floppy hair out during our drills! :P

BOY BAND HAIR!! :lol:

Caiylania
11-10-2003, 04:11 AM
Those are a few ways I hadn't thought of it before. I have had a few people mention the Ardenai Knights to me... are they good RPers? My half elf is half Ardenai so I am interested if anyone knows anything.

Evelith
11-14-2003, 08:47 PM
I've had awesome experiences with the Knights. Give 'em a try. :grin:

Sar~

Jolena
11-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Caiylania! You could have come to me! I know you know I'm an officer in ATK! *bites Caiylania* I personally think that ATK is very into the mix of things with quests..however before you choose.. I would honestly suggest checking into all the different militias out there. NF, ATK, Protectors, etc. It's always best to get as much info as you can before making a choice like that..however, I would LOVE to have you in ATK if you decide to do so, make sure you come talk to me. Muah!