PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of routers...

Parkbandit
12-31-2006, 11:45 AM
a friend of mine came over this morning with his new toy: A new portable sirius radio that inside, uses the internet to connect to the service. I guess I don't have my wireless password protected.

So..

1) Is that really a bad thing? Is there anyway I can tell if anyone is using it?
2) How do I PW protect it? I've since misplaced the manual for my router (a 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g cable/DSL Router)

Xaerve
12-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes Protect it.

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/hubs/off-con/pdf/dua0045-4aaa01rev01.pdf

Page 41.

Skirmisher
12-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Now that's service.

Parkbandit
12-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Holy shit. Thanks!

Gan
12-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Agreed, definately keep your router access protected... be it through WEP, Mac address, or both. Also hiding your SSID broadcast helps, most folks cant hack what they cant see.

Also, make sure you add/change the password to the router utility screen you access to make those changes. You would be suprised how many times one can pull up a scan of wireless networks and see factory default router names like lynksis, usrxxxx, etc. Then all you have to do is enter in the standard access IP and viola! You can make any and all the changes you want, including locking out the owner.

Sean of the Thread
12-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah nothing is better than serving time because some child pr0n king is using your net for distribution.

AestheticDeath
12-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Someone told me to do this too, but I couldnt figure it out. WEP is the thing that locks it out for linksys right? I tried it on the router, but it locked out my wireless part.. so I had to restore my default settings.

Gan
12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Engage the WEP security feature on your router and set the pass phrase. It can be HEX or ASCII, it can also be 64, 128, or 256 bit encryption. The passphrase is then converted to a long alpha/numeric key that will be shown below.

Now take your laptop wifi config tool and set up your logon, select WEP enabled and then enter in either the passkey phrase (if it has a generator installed in the software) or enter in the long alpha/numeric key if it does not. Then as your wifi attempts to sync up it will apply that key, and if correct will allow you to sync. (I use a 128 bit HEX encrypted key)

The easier of course is just using the mac address control feature. I use both since its relatively easy to set up.

Numbers
12-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Keep in mind that if you live in a sparsely populated area away from any main roads, it's probably pretty pointless to secure the router.

Also, unsecured routers have been successfully used as defenses in RIAA cases. "I swear, your Honor, it wasn't me downloading that album, it was my neighbor piggy-backing my wireless router!"

Sean of the Thread
12-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Also, unsecured routers have been successfully used as defenses in RIAA cases. "I swear, your Honor, it wasn't me downloading that album, it was my neighbor piggy-backing my wireless router!"

How does that hold up?

Gan
12-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Reasonable Doubt

Sean of the Thread
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Reasonable Doubt

Once it's proven the neighbor didn't do it tho? Or.. It's not my fault a criminal used my (unsecured) gun to commit crimes?

Gan
12-31-2006, 04:54 PM
The argument that has been seen is that if the person took reasonable steps to prevent misuse by others. In your gun case, it would be reasonable steps to secure it. In the case of wifi theft, did the neighbor take reasonable steps to secure?

As for validating the alibi, it would have to be determined whether or not the neighbor had a computer and had evidence of being connected in absence of an independantly serviced ISP.

In my opinion its a tossup defense which most people see right through. Especially since other evidence can be found on the offending computer to say otherwise.

Sean of the Thread
12-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Truly don't see how "my neighbor piggy backed my unsecured net access!" defense could possibly hold up. Just bizarre to me BUT the law system is so fucked it doesn't surprise me at all.

AestheticDeath
12-31-2006, 05:19 PM
hmm, I think I did it.... Thanks

Now how do I hide the signal so people dont even see it?

Sean of the Thread
12-31-2006, 05:20 PM

Put a tin foil hat on it!

The Ponzzz
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
As long as you have the passcode to a word you can remember and the HEX 64 going on that Linksys, you're safe. It should make 4 codes and have radio buttons over it telling you which one to use. That is your password for that router to connect wireless.

Masking the signal isn't really needed most times, unless you experience someone still trying to use your signal. Are there a lot of non secure when you check?

Gan
12-31-2006, 05:38 PM

Should be an option on your Wireless or WEP tab of your router config utility that says "mask SSID" or "disable SSID". Check that option to mask it... just remember it might give you trouble the first time your laptop trys to link up to it while masked... just select the masked secured connection and see if you can sync up. If more than one masked, then use process of elimination.

AestheticDeath
12-31-2006, 05:40 PM
As long as you have the passcode to a word you can remember and the HEX 64 going on that Linksys, you're safe. It should make 4 codes and have radio buttons over it telling you which one to use. That is your password for that router to connect wireless.

Well I used a 128 instead of 64, and it only uses/shows one passcode. Weren't any radio buttons. I just lost the wireless connection twice, and had to re-enter the 26 digit password it gave me like 8 times.(it wouldnt take the passcode)

Masking the signal isn't really needed most times, unless you experience someone still trying to use your signal. Are there a lot of non secure when you check?
And I have no idea how to check this.

AestheticDeath
12-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Also, when I try to connect, it shows me three available networks. The one I just made, a neighbors? named rusty, and another named default.

Is this default someone elses signal that wasnt renamed? I have been able to connect to default before without passwords etc.. Just wondering who it might belong to...

The Ponzzz
12-31-2006, 07:30 PM
You can name yours whatever, like mine is Fuck-Off-And-Die.

Odd though, if you are still dropping, it sounds like your router or cable modem is spazzing out. Are the other 2 PCs using a lot of bandwidth? And who's your ISP?

Xaerve
12-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I named my Parents, Installing_Virus_Now. Works like a charm.

AestheticDeath
12-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Other two PCs dont hardly use the internet much. I have the blank spaces with no packets whether they are on or not.

Our isp is SuddenLink. They just took over Cox communications where I live. Or Cox renamed.. or something. It wasn't good with Cox, and it isnt good with SuddenLink. But we dont have much choice with the area we are in.

The Ponzzz
12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Well if the two hardlines are connecting fine, it's gotta be the wireless connection via the router.

Do you have a wireless cable modem by any chance? The two can conflict.

AestheticDeath
12-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Nope.. cable modems hooked into the wall and comps.. Nothing wireless but my end of the router.

Ignot
01-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I had this same problem with my linksys. We ended up just getting another hard line to my gf laptop. Good luck dude. Let me know if you found out what the problem is.