PDA

View Full Version : Power Abuse

DarknessWithin
11-09-2003, 02:37 AM
Ok...I know this has probably happened to everyone at some time in the lives of GS. Probably everyone has run into problems with a big bad bully. They push us around when things dont go their way because they know they can. For the countless time this has happened to me and my chars again. I've been in the lands for almost 3 years now, but unfortunatly my chars are not that high in trains. I tend to do this thing we call "Roleplay." I tend to RP more than hunt. My fault...I'll admit it. But what ever happened to respect? Since when was it we should only respect those at the level cap? What about respecting someone for who they are...not how strong they are? Time & time again I've been put in situations where I am RP'ing something out with someone and when it doesn't go their way, bam! They run to game mechanics. What do you others do in times like this besides turning it into a stupid blood bath? I try to pride myself on the fact that overall, I'm a nice guy. My chars too...are nice guys...too a point. Neither of my chars would want a blood bath.

As I said before, this happened to me again today. Granted, I probably am not 100% innocent, but it's getting incredibly annoying that just because I'm not as many trains as someone else that this fact needs to be abused. I crack jokes in this game to try and make it fun for others yet i'm punished everytime i do. Due to the fact that I don't want to add fuel to the fire or drag this out any longer (Must be that nice guy in me), I'm leaving names out of this. It started on the amunet because someone thought out, "Ew..omg." Seeing as how GS is not a chatroom or is "omg" not a real word, I decided to have some fun, see what this guy would do. Jokingly my char thought out, "omg? whats omg? is that a new type of omlet? i like omlets." Obvously this guy didn't like my joke because he then started yellin at my char to "shaddap." Being a follower of Eorgina & not really keen on being told what to do, my char turned down those requests. This person then walked into TC, pointed at my char and profoundly told me that...he didn't like me. Am I Supposed to be upset by that? Like i would expect someone telling me to "shaddap" would want to give me a hug and shout out, "I love you man!" I don't think so. Saying really the only thing my Eorgina follower would say he stood there and said "Great Eorgina whatever shall i do?? is this where i wail & cry that you dont like me?" Again, I don't think he liked that due to the fact that he then used his clear glass wand (me thinks someone was planning the following the whole time) and left my char heavily stunned in TC so my char could "think about that."

Why is it that the older people get in this game, the most of them seem to loose their brains? I've always been told to get respect you must first earn it. If playing a character to their true life is not enough to earn some respect, what's the point? Training over & over just proves that you can train your char. Congrats for you! Before people jump to say, "Well hey he's just RP'ing that," No..I don't buy it. He's just being a jackass. There is Evil and then there is Jackass. Most people need to learn the difference. If anyone else feels the same, please let me know.

I'm going back to have some fun. It's what games are for. I think.

Trinitis
11-09-2003, 02:40 AM
I know your pain, I've delt with it for years..I can site so many examples...it would outshine an Atheana thread..so I'll spare us.

-Adredrin

SpunGirl
11-09-2003, 02:45 AM
You need a tough hide to RP an evil character, or even just a smartass character, especially at a lower level.

Just know at the end of the day that you're doing "that wonderful thing called RPing" and that's what the game is for. We could use more RPers, if nothing else.

-K

DarknessWithin
11-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Oh with half the crap my chars have gone thru over this time i've been playing? I have a tough hide. Don't even get me started on a certain giantman. But have you ever noticed that dealing with people like this is like being hit over & over with really annoying lil rubber balls?? Ok..yes...I'm aware that sounds odd but it's 12:15 a.m. and I'm tired. Meh :P

Fraidycat
11-09-2003, 03:25 AM
you have a 'Nice guy in you' ?

Shimm

HarmNone
11-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Heh. What happened to you is anything but unusual. The other player was out of line for reacting in the way that (s)he did. However, you can expect that reaction from a goodly portion of those people who use chatroom speak on the amunet. They have already proven they do not care to roleplay by doing that in the first place, so it should come as no surprise.

Oh, and roleplaying instead of concentrating on earning levels is not your "fault". In my opinion, it is greatly to your credit! Just enjoy the game in the way that best suits you, and ignore the idiots. Correcting them on the amunet is only going to buy you more of the same, unfortunately. It is also a hopeless endeavor.

HarmNone feels your pain :)

Parkbandit
11-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Let me put a different spin on this...

Is it in character for you to belittle and make fun of someone you know can blast you into tomorrow with a quick flick of their wrist?

While I am not a fan of the 'elder' characters merely roleplaying with their levels.. I do find it somewhat annoying that someone who is of very low levels chooses to bother someone they know can easily kill them... and resort to the bully label.

11-09-2003, 09:20 AM
I am that bully, I pick on people, I am older than many people, I use that to my advantage,
why would somebody who knows im stronger and faster and can kill them on a whim insult me... would you have gone into a tavren and picked on the giantkin holding a executions sword? no i highly doubt that.
so you got what was comeing to you for you know your weaker and you know that they can beat you, you must learn to deal with it

Adhara
11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
I see both sides but do we know that DarknessWithin knew that this person was stronger?

If I'm a young girl in a tavern and this great big experienced warrior at the bar says something stupid, yes I'll shut my mouth unless I have a death wish. But on the amulet, you can know either because you've seen them around or you check their fame (which is OOC. I don't think a character's decision to respond to someone should be based on checking fame).

Like HarmNone said, it shouldn't come as a shock, at least in this situation. There are a few (rare) people who pull off interesting evil characters. Keep an eye out for them and try to RP with them. You'll find it a lot more satisfying.

Drew2
11-09-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm an equal opportunity pain in the ass.

If they're older, I'll play the game and take my beatings for a while.. but when they sit there and bind me for an hour because I make them look like the idiot they are and they throw a fit, I get pissy.

StrayRogue
11-09-2003, 11:21 AM
I don't give a damn if you are level 1 or 200, you'll get as much respect from me if you RP well, don't go OOC and don't be an idiot. Its why I respect and like more sub-30 people than others. As for bullies, like Tayre I know when to take my beatings. I just hate it when big brother comes in. Isn't that right Nodyre (if you are reading)?

Stunseed
11-09-2003, 03:19 PM
I don't get into many conflicts, but I've given as bad as I've taken. I care less of the others level, as long as it's an honorable end, I'm cool with it. I have to agree with Tayre about the binding, blinding, and silencing for 2 hours because you can.....When gs4 comes out, I hope those people got an extra set of eyes, because I'm going to make someone look real stupid.

Love you Jolena!

Sweets
11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I have played perhaps 3-4 years but I rarely have a character that reaches over the Level of 12. Too many combinations to explore and roleplay to be had. I am often the object of a "bully" calling me a "newb" because of my mithril/imflass gear.

I have yet to interact with a GreatLord/Lady that truely impresses me roleplay wise. Most, not all, are just power hunters or bought characters. I have nothing in common with these players and characters.

I don't mind taking a beating if my mouth gets me into trouble, it's the blatant chat room attitude that puts the bug up my ass.

DarknessWithin
11-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Like I said before, I don't see myself as 100% innocent in this case. Yes I know if you push someone to far they will snap. I've known this for a long time and delt with it all too often. I completly agree with Tayre & the others who say you need to know when to take your beatings. Just like Sweets said, I dont mind taking a beating if my mouth gets me into trouble.

To say I belittled & made fun of him while knowing he could wipe the floor with me is a joke. I did not know his age and I did not belittle him. I'm not an idiot who throws out random insults at people and not expect to get my ass handed to me. My character simply made a wisecrack remark about what he heard on the amunet and Yes, that is in character for my Char. Ask anyone in his family, He's an "evil" sorcerer with a large sense of humor. Granted, it probably wasn't the smartest descision, but to say I got what i deserved?? Since when did cracking a joke (not even completely directed at this person) deserve being stunned in TC for over 5 minutes? That goes right along with how people felt during the Sagas when players were going bind happy. People who RP should be punished. That's just a lunkhead idea. Now i'm not saying that people like Edine are jerks. If your a big baddass in the game and you happen to be high level char, then yes, you should be able to use that to your advantage IF you RP it out. What happened with me wasn't RP'ed out, he didn't like that someone was getting the better of him (when all I was trying to do was create a joke) so he went straight to mechanics because he knew it was an easy way to look good. All this does is leave a bad taste in everyones mouth. Can't people try to be creative instead of just whacking folks? :?:

Ladyteeoncy
11-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Hmm... I think that you deserved to be stunned hehe. You commented on his mistake not once but twice... Once is able to put up with it... twice is... stunned..more then twice...well hehe...hope he doesnt kill you.

You got stunned for being a smart ass hehe... Thats not that big of deal... When Teeoncy was growing up she was a smart ass all the time...that sweetie is what deeds are for!

Respect has changed a lot... little is given out...But it looks like you didnt give him much respect why should he give it to you? I often hate when Teeoncy being a warrior is stunned or somthing because of magic...but thats why you go and master tackle and warcry... tackle them...warcry them into offence and cut their heads off hehe. If you are going to rollplay being a smartass plus being evil...get a lot of deeds and a thick skin... If im in the mood ill bug a bigger person until they kill me and keep buggin them (in a playful manner) while im dead! Teeoncy is 80 trains now and there are people she can knock into the next world...it is somthing she earned... I dont believe she abuses it..but if someone is gonna bug me and bug me...and when i tell them to stop...still bug me... Ill do somthing to make them quiet down. But i dont remember the last time i killed somone....

As for the OMG thing though..that was out of character and was pretty dumb...But dont push your luck kid! hehe

Teeo

GemstoneFan
11-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Jeezus, STFU already, does every *single* post have to be turned around so you can talk about yourself?

SO glad I don't know you IG, hope you're not as self centered there as you are here.

Ladyteeoncy
11-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Hmmm well i didnt mean to do that. But it is easyer to explain things from your own personalities... I am not asking you to comment on Teeoncy... I am just saying thats where I have been...its almost an invitation saying heres my experiences...what are yours?

GemstoneFan
11-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Here's another thing that cracks me up, and totally off topic so shoot me.......

Teeoncy did you say you want to become an English prof? I realize almost none of us re-read our posts.....but do you mean to tell me you really spell easier "easyer"? *Dayum!*
===========

Anyway back to the subject, GS just isn't the place it used to be but we all know that... if it were at all possible for them to control the sale/transfer of characters. What if they totally denied char transfer? Something, anything to keep the babysnerts from buying their power instead of coming into it the "hard" way by working for it like the rest of us do.

But that's probably more indicative of our "fast-food society", why-make-it-when-you-can-buy-it mentality.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I think prohibiting the sale/xfer of characters would at least be a first step to limiting the power abuse by the old farts ;-)

DarknessWithin
11-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Teeo? Did you read my original post? did you understand it? Doesnt sound like you did...I couldn't tell

Besides, an IC reminder in the form of a joke to someone who is going OOC is NOT the same as 'correcting' someone or 'bugging them' like you tried to make it out to be. I gladly would've left things alone with the first comment. He told me to "Shaddap." He came to me in TC. He stunned me. Jokes shouldn't drive someone to stun. If I shouldnt crack jokes then fine, let's all just hunt non stop till we reach the new cap!

Ladyteeoncy
11-09-2003, 11:02 PM
I understood the post i was commenting on others as well though.

mmm... I am a terrible speller... If i would read my work over i'd catch it but i am not too worried about it i figure ya'll know what i mean.

I dont think he should have stunned yeah... Like i said before he kinda took it outta hand... I look at stuff though like i get stunned i die... who cares hehe it doesnt really bother me... Im laid back when it comes to that... I dont care if i die at all hehe... i guess that just makes teeo more annoying though. lol

Ladyteeoncy
11-09-2003, 11:26 PM
mmmm.... your right i did say that... im sooo tired... worked 11 hours today hehe... I guess I see both sides of the story... I can see why someone would stun you...However, I would NOT have stunned you due to the fact i like more role playing and I think that people stun people because they have nothing clever to say... I like to trade smart ass comments back and fourth to people hehe. I would have had fun with it...I would have come up with a clever definition of OMG. I guess even though i wouldnt have handled it that way... i can see why he did... i dont know im just rambling