PDA

View Full Version : Added on Keypad (Numlock) for Laptops

The Ponzzz
12-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Ok, I posted on the officials and got really no where other than buying another new keypad that does not work...

Basically, I need a keypad for a laptop that mimics the real thing on the keyboard where it will allow me to move in GS. Every single one either registers as numbers with the numlock off or Home, End, Pg Up, Pg Dn, arrows and nothing for 5. Rewritting those commands fucks me over. No lie. I found out how much I use Pg Up and Dn quite a bit, and I'm always using arrow keys in the text field. And obviously I use the numbers for spells, ordering, etc.

The current brands I have are Targus and Dynex. Both have a 000 key added on as well.

After the new year I'm hoping to just start using a laptop only due to work and get rid of this desktop.

So anyways, is there any real way to fix this or a certain keypad I should get that still sold? Or should I look into an HP notebook with the extended keyboard in it? What I don't want to is hook up a keyboard to the laptop due to space issues...

I'm know I'm being a total asshat about this, but I really can't play without the numlock.

Celephais
12-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Doesn't seem total asshat to me, I have to carry around a keyboard w/ my laptop because I can't stand not having the keypad. So the real question is does your keypad hardware send the actual signal as Home, End etc, or does it convert it somewhere in software...

A good way to figure that out is the input tutorial in the DirectX SDK. You can D/L it from MS if you want (I think you would have to D/L the whole SDK though). If you want I zipped just that one exe (do you trust a ledgendary hero?) www.deadlylight.com/csKeyboard.zip (http://www.deadlylight.com/csKeyboard.zip) set it to background non-exclusive, click "create device" and then press your keypad keys... let me know if it says "Home", "PgUp", or "NumPad4" or something entirely different.

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2006, 01:31 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8019/

I don't use laptops so I don't know if this is what you're actually looking for.

And I couldn't find just a keypad, but I know I saw it before.

Soulpieced
12-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Bob's suggestion is probably the best way to go if you don't want a true external keyboard.

Celephais
12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I think he's saying he has a keypad... along the lines of this: http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PAKP004U,

the problem is that full keyboards will send a "NumPad4" to the computer, and the computer will say "Okay the Num Lock is on, so that means 4" or "The Num Lock is off, that means left arrow". But SF or the Wizard will intercept the NumPad4 value and translate it to his macro. His USB keypad is sending the actual "4" or "LeftArrow", so SF/Wizard can't differentiate.

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2006, 01:40 PM
A little less expensive, and without being a calculator.

http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-blue-numpad-black.html

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2006, 01:41 PM
<<His USB keypad is sending the actual "4" or "LeftArrow", so SF/Wizard can't differentiate.>>

If the button works at all, then it should be settable within either FE.

Celephais
12-10-2006, 01:45 PM
<<His USB keypad is sending the actual "4" or "LeftArrow", so SF/Wizard can't differentiate.>>

If the button works at all, then it should be settable within either FE.

The point is that the scancode for NumPad4 is different than the scancode for left arrow or 4 on the top row, and his keypad is likely sending the wrong scancode (not NumPad4). But he wants to maintain the ability to use the left arrow key to move his cursor, and NumPad4 to move him west.

The Ponzzz
12-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Ok with this simple test, using the keyboard without numlock on 1-9 register as Keypad + 1-9. With numlock on, they register as numpad1-9

When I go to the laptop and use the external keypad, with numlock on they again register as numpad1-9 same as the numbers on the laptop's keyboard. When I turn it off, they register as home, end, etc etc.

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that you wanted Home/End/PgUp/PgDown within GS, too.

I have no idea then.

The Ponzzz
12-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Yea, I am willing to try more keypads, they aren't expensive, I just wanna make sure one works.

But on the second link you pasted Alex, I found this hilarious!

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6946/untitled2hf3.jpg

As you can see, the regular price is $10.99 and the sale price is 5 bucks more!

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Haha, I thought that, too. If you go back and look at their main keyboard page, the strikethrough isn't there. It says $18.99, sale $15.99.

The Ponzzz
12-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that you wanted Home/End/PgUp/PgDown within GS, too.

I have no idea then.

It's not home, end, pgup and dn that I use a ton, it's arrow keys(like up to retreive the last thing I typed, and up/down to scroll through them all).

I do use home and end sometimes like with copy(SHift + Home or Shift + End)

I dunno, it's such a pain in my ass!

Celephais
12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Ok with this simple test, using the keyboard without numlock on 1-9 register as Keypad + 1-9. With numlock on, they register as numpad1-9

When I go to the laptop and use the external keypad, with numlock on they again register as numpad1-9 same as the numbers on the laptop's keyboard. When I turn it off, they register as home, end, etc etc.

Hmm.. okay well that's not all terrible then... if I get motivated enough I think I would address the issue by writing an application that effectively proxies the numlock request... IE you press numLock, the program turns numlock right off afterwards, but then any numPad1-9 become KeyPad1-9, and a future numLock request would stop that mode.

Check to see if when you press numLock on the pad if it sends anything to that program.

Stanley Burrell
12-10-2006, 03:40 PM
I miss my numlock keys :(

I can type "NE" like one badass text-based gaming mofo, though...

The Ponzzz
12-10-2006, 03:47 PM
:( I type ene or nen

Stanley Burrell
12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Bah.

Practice.

Save yourself some extra desk space, or sump'n.

The Ponzzz
12-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I tried for like a year! The power is not strong with me!!

Stanley Burrell
12-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Turn on word font and keep on screaming "NE NE NE NE NE" into your laptop's microphone then.

Seriously: Think of the cool skull-glowing-doom-ornamnent type thing you could have occupying that space.

Or the motion lotion.

StinkyBlumpkin
12-10-2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

TheEschaton
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Holy shit, that's awesome, but pricey as hell.

-TheE-

Bobmuhthol
12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
wtf, going from 2GB to 4GB RAM on that computer is +$2,775

Celephais
12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
wtf, going from 2GB to 4GB RAM on that computer is +$2,775

It only has two slots... and 2gb 667mhz dimms are not so easy to come by. Still ridiculous.