PDA

View Full Version : Audio Conversion Advice/Help

Skirmisher
12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I need to try to set up a computer to record as MP3's and ultimately onto CD's a large number of old records and audio tapes.

I have found a variety of mechanisms and software online but would like to know if anyone here has had experience in transferring older recordings to digital.

Any hardware or software you would especially recommend I pick up or avoid?

I think i have a working turntable and tape player and central unit/amplifier?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Sean of the Thread
12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry I don't know shit about 8 tracks.

ElanthianSiren
12-02-2006, 01:25 PM
My dad was talking about something to do that. I think he hooked a stereo into the input (microphone) feed of the computer and set it to record all sound through the windows task bar. I believe also that he had to mute all windows sounds, or they showed up on the computer. It's been a long time since he mentioned it though (and it was just in passing), but I'll ask him about it next time we talk.

-M

Skirmisher
12-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks Melissa, thats exactly what i would appreciate.

I dug up his old tuner, turntable and tape machine this afternoon.

I'l connect them all a bit later and see if they all still work or what.

From what I've seen there are various ways to connect to the PC, some using rca to 1/8 inch adaptors that plug into the sound card and some that take the rca output and then convert it into a usb connection to enable even a laptop to be used which is handy.

They also can divide up a side of a cassete or LP into individual tracks, which would be pretty much mandatory, and then clean up the pops and hisses that can come from the tapes and records.

The basic concept i think i have a handle on but am hoping someone may have had some experience or knows some site that may be particularly helpful.

Bobmuhthol
12-02-2006, 05:17 PM
<<My dad was talking about something to do that. I think he hooked a stereo into the input (microphone) feed of the computer and set it to record all sound through the windows task bar. I believe also that he had to mute all windows sounds, or they showed up on the computer.>>

This is the basic idea behind it, but you're supposed to use and record from Line In.

And if you're going to use recording software, I've got some somewhere at http://bobmuhthol.dynalias.net/Files . It should be called All Sound Recorder, I think it has its own folder.