PDA

View Full Version : World AIDS Day

TheEschaton
12-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Today is World AIDS Day, and we remember the more than 40 million people worldwide infected with this disease which is not only devestating physically, but socio-economically as well.

Post your thoughts here. And take the time to click on this link and light a "virtual candle". For everyone lit, Bristol Meyer's Squibb (sp?) is donating $1 to the AIDS fund. It takes 30 seconds to do so, you have no reason not to:

Who said major pharmaceuticals couldn't do something good? (https://www.lighttounite.org/)

-TheE-

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
you have no reason not to:

I have a reason not to. I don't want to.

ElanthianSiren
12-01-2006, 04:00 PM
They should just have a national sick people day.

-M

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 04:20 PM
They should just have a national sick people day.

-M

Agreed!

Gan
12-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Click on the link comrades! Show your contept for the Amerikan bourgoise big business and click the link many many times, break the bank of this oppressive Amerikan business monster!

Click comrades, CLICK! Or you will turn into a donkey!

Drew
12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I was with my friend yesterday and she bought one of those red aids sweaters from the Gap. I read the fine print and 50% of the profits from it are donated to help women and children in Africa with AIDS. So if you are a man in Africa with AIDS, the gap says "fuck you".

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm sure they have a cure for the rich already.. but they need the money train to keep on chug-a-luggin for research. /end backlash moment.

Augie
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I was with my friend yesterday and she bought one of those red aids sweaters from the Gap. I read the fine print and 50% of the profits from it are donated to help women and children in Africa with AIDS. So if you are a man in Africa with AIDS, the gap says "fuck you".

See to me that's such bullshit. Why doesn't that money go to people in AMERICA who have AIDS? If you're buying it in the US, keep the damn money in the US.

And if you ARE gonna ship the money off to Africa, help everyone dammit!

Bobmuhthol
12-01-2006, 04:39 PM
What the fuck, Augie?

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 04:40 PM
What the fuck, Bob?

TheEschaton
12-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Ummm, because more than 75% of the cases of HIV in the world are in Sub-Saharan Africa, and because the meds for HIV in America are A) available EVERYWHERE, and b) in most states, are covered by Medicaid.

As for helping only women and children, Drew, they're the most vulnerable, since in Africa, most women can't negotiate sexual contact with men, and children are orphaned highly.

Sad to say, men in Africa could do the most to curb HIV, but many of them believe in a natural right to sleep with as many women as he wants, however he wants (IE, without a condom). They could prevent HIV if they wanted. Many women and children can't.

-TheE-

Augie
12-01-2006, 04:48 PM
What the fuck, Augie?

I think I outlined it pretty well in my last post. It just pisses me off that the money that is being collected by the Gap at stores in America for their special shirt that's supposed to support AIDS research doesn't go to help Americans with AIDS.

And then Drew said the Gap information stated that the money is going to help only women and children in Africa. I mean if the money is going to Africa, why not help EVERYONE there who is affected?

--------
Edited to add: I feel that way about a lot of stuff - not just the AIDS day stuff. I mean all those ads to feed a starving child in some country you never heard of or help the homeless people in suchandsuch land. Why not start fixing the stuff here in America first?

That's just my opinion and we all know what they say about those so take it as you will.

Atlanteax
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I think 100% of all AIDS-related proceeds generated in the United States should address American cases first.

*Then* perhaps African cases.

That place is a money-pit. No/little return on investment.

Except for regions like Nigeria where the money being spent on developing infastructure (to benefit Nigeria and foreign aid distribution) also helps the U.S. import resources.

TheEschaton
12-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Uhhh, this shouldn't be a case of whether we get a return on the investment. It's charity, dumb ass.

And quite frankly, HIV/AIDS doesn't need to be a problem in the U.S. any more. Even if you're on Medicaid, you can get the drugs you need to stay healthy, work, and be productive.

-TheE-

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah fuck AFRICA. We've got starving aids infested illegal immigrants in America that need our money first.

TheEschaton
12-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Augie, I agree (in general) about feeding our hungry first, etc, etc, but in this case, the problem of HIV/AIDS is disproportionately felt by Africa. Like I said in my previous post, it does not need to be a problem here in America, because a) we have good distribution of drugs, b) good education systems in schools, and c) a social medical system (Medicaid) which insures those drugs get in the hands of even the poorest people.

-TheE-

ElanthianSiren
12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Edited to add: I feel that way about a lot of stuff - not just the AIDS day stuff. I mean all those ads to feed a starving child in some country you never heard of or help the homeless people in suchandsuch land. Why not start fixing the stuff here in America first?

In many ways I agree, but also the problem is one of scale. Poor in America doesn't mean the same thing as poor in Africa, nor does sick. I'm chronically sick (yeah yeah go ahead and make your jokes), but I can get the insulin that I need to live, despite the fact that lantus is a very expensive insulin regiment to be on. I can even afford an education that'll hopefully lead into helping to cure my disorder, so I don't have to take medication anymore and can have children without the added risks to my eyes and kidneys.

Sick people in Africa are generally (I'm generalizing here), not as well educated, not very well informed as to barrier methods to STDs, and living in a much harsher climate than we have due to intermittant water shortages prompted by the extreme wet/dry season.

All that said, I'd like to see the standard of living for everyone rise. -Not because I want to go hug a tree but because I believe all people deserve to enjoy their lives and for that to happen, all people have to work together collectively.

-M

Some Rogue
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
The reason it's just women and children? Because it's easier to pull the heart strings to get people to give money.

You ever ask yourself why breast cancer is a bigger issue than prostate cancer? More men will get prostate cancer every year than women who get breast cancer, so why don't we see the campaigns for it?

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Could you show proof of the "Even if you're on Medicaid, you can get the drugs you need to stay healthy, work, and be productive." statement.

Not to mention that A LOT of poor cannot even get on medicaid but I'm still interested in your comment above.

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 05:14 PM
You ever ask yourself why breast cancer is a bigger issue than prostate cancer? More men will get prostate cancer every year than women who get breast cancer, so why don't we see the campaigns for it?

Exactly.

TheEschaton
12-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't think you can write it off as simply as that for HIV, Some Rogue. Reference my post above. Women and children are the most vulnerable populations to get HIV. In our own country, teenage African American girls tend to be the highest proportion of new cases. In Africa, at least where I lived, there was a 40-50% new HIV infection rate among girls between the ages of 13-18. That means of all the cases being reported, that group was the most represented in new cases.

-TheE-

TheEschaton
12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Could you show proof of the "Even if you're on Medicaid, you can get the drugs you need to stay healthy, work, and be productive." statement.

The proof? As in a document. Wouldn't know where to start, but, at least in NY, having Medicaid meant: A) all your doctors visits concerning your HIV status/treatment/care was covered, B) all the meds for HIV except the new fusion inhibitors (which are out of range of everyone except the wealthiest) were covered under the prescription coverage, and C) being on Medicaid allowed you to have free case management by social workers who specifically focused on HIV/AIDs, who coordinated their medical, nutritional, socio-economic, and psychological aspects of their disease. This included getting them into rehab if they were addicts, appearing in court with them if they were on trial, or vouching for them at soup kitchens if they were hungry.

How do I know this? I worked as one of those social workers, doing case management for positive people, in Buffalo. We might have more comprehensive care in NY that most states, but I think most of them, at least cover meds.

Edited to add: In NY, HIV/AIDS is considered a disability, which allows most of this to happen, including making them eligible for SSI/SSD.

-TheE-

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Well if you don't know where to start don't make a blanket statement as fact. In other words stfu.

Also in America AIDS awareness is focused primarily on MALES. Not women and children.

Stunseed
12-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Satire in making.

< You ever ask yourself why breast cancer is a bigger issue than prostate cancer? More men will get prostate cancer every year than women who get breast cancer, so why don't we see the campaigns for it? >

Because feeling boobies gets MUCH better responces. :yes:

ElanthianSiren
12-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Satire in making.

< You ever ask yourself why breast cancer is a bigger issue than prostate cancer? More men will get prostate cancer every year than women who get breast cancer, so why don't we see the campaigns for it? >

Because feeling boobies gets MUCH better responces. :yes:

Umm... Seriously, you may doubt that if you've ever milked a prostate (roadtrip). It's a religious experience!

-M

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Gross

DeV
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Sad to say, men in Africa could do the most to curb HIV, but many of them believe in a natural right to sleep with as many women as he wants, however he wants (IE, without a condom). They could prevent HIV if they wanted. Many women and children can't.

-TheE-Well said. The entire post actually, but this part especially sticks out. I firmly agree.

Alfster
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Only here does a topic of aids revolve into milking the prostate.

is it bad that i'm to lazy to click that link?

ElanthianSiren
12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Only here does a topic of aids revolve into milking the prostate.

is it bad that i'm to lazy to click that link?

Nah nah... He was talking about how groping boobs feels oh so "awesomer" than prostates. I just made a smartass and off color joke.

-M
edit: Back on topic. Those female vaginal traps looked pretty cool for Africa.

Latrinsorm
12-01-2006, 06:55 PM

Not too shabby.
Why not start fixing the stuff here in America first?There's no comparison between poverty in America and poverty in developing countries.
That's just my opinion and we all know what they say about those so take it as you will.How can you really care if you don't bother looking into the facts of the matter? If you do actually look into the facts, then it's not "just" your opinion, is it?

Stunseed
12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
< Nah nah... He was talking about how groping boobs feels oh so "awesomer" than prostates. I just made a smartass and off color joke. >

I'm not a prostate milker, so I couldn't compare..However, I was more on the tangent of "why is there more publicity to breast cancer", which to me I would think that awareness would be easier because people ( in general ) are MUCH more receptive to the breast-feel than a prostate-milking, in regards to the TV and such.

"Hey Peter, check out the breast exam on Channel 9!!" -- Office Space

Hulkein
12-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Send Magic Johnson to Africa and let them drink his blood. They'll be healthier than they were pre-infection.

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Send Magic Johnson to Africa and let them drink his blood. They'll be healthier than they were pre-infection.

Which brings us back to a cure for the rich. The guy looks thicker than fat albert and it's been like what 18 years?

Hulkein
12-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah, he's like the fat dude on Lost. That guy has gained weight since being deserted on an island, Magic has gained weight since getting HIV.

Something ain't right.

Makkah
12-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry if this has been brought up... but:

http://www.lighttounite.org

Pharm. company is donating $1 per visit for HIV/AIDS research.

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry if this has been brought up... but:

http://www.lighttounite.org

Pharm. company is donating $1 per visit for HIV/AIDS research.

Would it have killed you to read the first fucking post of the thread?

Latrinsorm
12-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Announcement: 30,000 bucks in 3.5 hours is pretty boss.

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Or pretty false. Guess only the IRS will know.

Back
12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
AIDS is not exclusive to anyone. Be protected.

Sean of the Thread
12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
AIDS is not exclusive to anyone. Be protected.

WHAT WHAT WHAT??? I'm pretty sure only gay black man get aids and I doubt I'm wrong.

Back
12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
WHAT WHAT WHAT??? I'm pretty sure only gay black man get aids and I doubt I'm wrong.

You really need to educate yourself. And quit spewing disinformation.