PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Information

Skirmisher
11-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I am trying to find a treadmill for a friend who will use it mostly for walking at first, later planning to jog a little perhaps but in any case not for any serious training.

Any advice regarding experiences with treadmills would be appreciated as I would like to find a happy medium of size, mobility and cost versus quality.

Thanks in advance for any information you all could pass on.

Sean
11-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Planning on eatting too many fish after being thankful that you escaped Peru?

Tromp
11-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd highly recommend a used one. Most people buy these items and only use them for a month or two tops. You can find a decent one on EBay or local paper etc.

I'd recommend Consumer Reports to find the model yer looking for.

HarmNone
11-21-2006, 09:25 AM
I found this, Skirm:

http://walking.about.com/cs/treadmilling/bb/bybtreadmill.htm

Maybe it will give you some ideas. :)

zhelas
11-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd highly recommend a used one. Most people buy these items and only use them for a month or two tops. You can find a decent one on EBay or local paper etc.

I'd recommend Consumer Reports to find the model yer looking for.

Either that or have them get a membership at a gym. The quality of the machines are usually better.

Skirmisher
11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far. :)

No to the excessive fish eating.

Interesting idea of buying used and one I had surprisingly overlooked.

They would like to have one at their home for the moment rather than go to a gym.

Thanks for the link HN companies and models are what i'm looking for.

Anyone owned a treadmill and have a good or bad experience?

zhelas
11-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Anyone owned a treadmill and have a good or bad experience?

My folks bought one through the paper. I couldn't tell you the model or make of it. They used it for 2 months. Now it collects dust. I tell them, they should sell it. However they tell me they will be using it later. This was 2 years ago and they still are not using it.

I know some of them will allow you to raise the tread part. This atleast will not make it a space hog.

SpunGirl
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
I would use a cross-trainer instead. Lower impact.

-K

Tromp
11-21-2006, 11:18 AM
I would think noise level is a big quality i'd look for. Nothing like bothering the whole house to the sound of a fan belt.

Stability is another biggy if you start running.

Some fold so you can store under the bed etc.

zhelas
11-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I would think noise level is a big quality i'd look for. Nothing like bothering the whole house to the sound of a fan belt.

Stability is another biggy if you start running.

Some fold so you can store under the bed etc.

The whole house shook when they ran. Even walking you feel the floor vibrate. The cross trainer is a good idea. Even an exercise bike that includes arm movement.

I have an exercise bike that I park in front of the TV. You see I am working on my Gemstone Diet. 30 lbs baby!

ElanthianSiren
11-21-2006, 12:19 PM
I leave my house and walk. I don't know if that's an option for your friend, but it provides a better workout (due to resistence) than walking on a constant surface.

-M

Stanley Burrell
11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I leave my house and walk.

This = the bomb.

They have trees and animals here. In not NYC. And you are one with the elements when embarking upon an outdoor jog :roll:

Most importantly, make sure the treadmill has an adjustable incline setting so that after your friend gets winded, he or she can just put it on 14 with 2.0 and think they are getting a break whereas the asswalloping ensues.

DeV
11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Tell your "friend" there is no copulating on the treadmill. Ever. It is for exercising only and any and all other physical exertions are frowned up, not to mention extremely dangerous when not done by a professional.

That's about all the advice I can give.

Kia
11-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I have a treadmill that I use exclusively for walking. Doesn't have any fancy gadgets, just let's me walk in front of TV when it is too cold outside. It was $99 at Walmart.

Kia

Stanley Burrell
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Tell your "friend" there is no copulating on the treadmill. Ever.

:rofl:

Wouldn't that just count as being a positive addition to the workout routine? :smug:

Skirmisher
11-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Omg I'll let my "friend" know. :)