PDA

View Full Version : WinXP pro - password help

AestheticDeath
11-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I need to figure out how to change the password on an older comp - from around 2000 I think, it has Windows XP professional edition.

We don't know the password, and I am not sure we will be able to figure it out.

So is there a way you can figure out what it is, or reset it somehow?

So far the only way that has been recommended to us is trying to find and download some sort of hacking program which would figure out the password.

Is there not some way to goto the BIOS screen and figure it out like you can on the home edition?

Bobmuhthol
11-15-2006, 07:49 PM
You definitely can't get Windows passwords from BIOS no matter what OS you're using. BIOS loads before the OS does.

The easiest way: reformat.

Numbers
11-15-2006, 07:51 PM
This probably won't work, but it's worth a shot. I imagine you'd have to boot into DOS to try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC8c7zKLnU4

Celephais
11-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Man that guy sounds like a nerd

AestheticDeath
11-15-2006, 08:23 PM
thanks

Soulpieced
11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I thought you could reboot in safe mode, log in as administrator and change the login password.

AestheticDeath
11-15-2006, 09:30 PM
yeah there were some videos of that on there as well... but some people were saying that the admin password can be changed during the setup, so its not a generic thing, and youd still need that pw in safemode... I dunno

Will have to try some of this out when I go to my grandmothers house and help her with the computer. Or try to help. I am not so computer savvy.

fallenSaint
11-15-2006, 10:07 PM
You have a XP Pro Install disk? If sooo....

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

There are other easier methods as the above mentioned command prompt option but you'd have to have access to an account on the pc to start with.

Wezas
11-15-2006, 10:49 PM
The easiest way: reformat.

Worst advice ever.

There are several Windows XP Admin Password Reset tools. Almost all of which have you download a program onto a floppy and boot from the floppy. From there it will step you through the process.

I used it once for my laptop at my last job and locked myself totally out. Our Lan Ops administrator asked for a copy of it a few months later when the same thing happened to him.

zhelas
11-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Exactly. The windows password is easy to hack if you have access to the box. the following link has a list of programs. I have one that will boot to linux. You follow the prompts and you can change any of the login passwords.

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Wezas
11-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I stopped listening to Bob for computer advice when he swore by Windows ME.

Sean of the Thread
11-16-2006, 09:10 AM
I stopped when he didn't know what an external firewire HDD was.

Daniel
11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I can't believe you ever listened.

Skirmisher
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Worst advice ever.

There are several Windows XP Admin Password Reset tools. Almost all of which have you download a program onto a floppy and boot from the floppy. From there it will step you through the process.

I used it once for my laptop at my last job and locked myself totally out. Our Lan Ops administrator asked for a copy of it a few months later when the same thing happened to him.

I assumed he was just being sarcastic as even I knew of the other ways to get at a lost password.

I think we may have had a thread here about it also but i'm not bothering to check before posting this :)

Wezas
11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Well Skirm he's either computer retarded or an asshole.

Or both.